Pioneer Campers

I see on another thread that there was a solution to Pioneer's water tank problem of not being able to be filled. What was the solution?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 21:33

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 21:33
Don't know what was on the thread , but I own a Pioneer camper and I had a problem filling the water tank until I worked it out. Remove the filler cap and with a torch you will see a smallish hole within the filler where the tank is filled.Just make sure your hose nozzle is placed in the hole and problem solved.
AnswerID: 399054

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 21:37
And make sure the taps not turned on too hard....... slow and easy will get it done OK.
Alan.
FollowupID: 668064

Reply By: Faulder - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:07

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:07
Thanks Rambler,

I've made sure the hose is well down inside the spout and also fiulled very very slowly to prevent too much pressure build up. The water seems to come from somewhere hidden on top the tank. Though that does not make sense from a only getting 40 litres in.

I suspect the tanks are going to have to come out to be looked at but as it's new and under warranty I'm not about to go doing that myself.

Thanks anyway
AnswerID: 399104

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:52

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:52
There's a breather hole on the top with a bit of gauze over it and that's to let the air out as the water goes in, gauze stops dust from going in.
Water will spill out the top as soon as the tank is full but if it's a 60 litre tank it shouldn't be doing it with only 40 in.
Alan.
FollowupID: 668161

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:10

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:10
Or Pioneer camper water tank can never be filled simply decause of the stupidity of the design....and can never be solved...I suspect yours is the same.

The inlet spigot to the tank is on the side of the tank NOT on the top..so once water reaches the upper side of the hole on the side.....there is no where for air to be displaced....all you can get is the top of the tank filling with air and the water following your hose back up the filler spout

Simple matter of displacement..which I can never comprehend why what is other wise a well built and thought out camper has s fundemental design flaw that is repeated model after model..............for water to go into the tank it must displace the air out of the empty tank........it does this by gurgling back up the filler pipe along side the water going in...that is until the water reaches the top of the inlet spigot on the water tank that is stupidly placed on the side of the tank.........once that spigot is covered in water......no air comes out...and the top section of the tank remians full of air!!!!!!

all they had to do was to place the fill spigot on the top of the tank or another spigot to let the air out on the side as close to the top as possible and allow the force of the filling water to displace the air out.........doubt the manufacturers have gone bush and used the water or realised that a part filled water tank is serious.if you advertise a tank capacity it should be that of water not water + air

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 399290

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:42

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:42
Why wouldn't the air go out of the breather in the top of the tank, it is irrelevant where the inlet is.
I do agree that just using filter foam on the top instead of a breather hose is a bad idea.

FollowupID: 668266

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 03:00

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 03:00
There are several posts relating to this problem.
That breather in the top of the tank also has a 1/2 inch bsp thread in it.
Open the breather hole out with a 10mm drill bit. Go down to the retic. shop and obtain a 12mm x 1/2 male bsp black poly elbow together with about a metre of poly pipe.
Screw the elbow into the fitting, push on the pipe and cut any excess overhang off. - that pipe should be over the back or side of the tank. It is there to stop dust and rubbish getting into the tank.
You will then have no more problems filling the tank/s.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 668274

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:14

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:14
our camper is March 2004 and there is no breather in the top of the tank......or maybe there is a threaded plug in the top as per above post but....

the top of the tank sits hard up under the floor of the camper and so there is no room for any fitting to be tapped or screwed in
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 668308

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 13:03

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 13:03
Bungarra, there is a recess moulded into these plastic tanks when they are manufactured. you wouldn't know it was there unless you dropped the tank.
Go down to Camec and have a look at one.

You could also put some 25 to 30mm blocks of wood to bring the tank down to give yourself some space or, you could get one of those grommets they use when they install the water sensors and drill a hole in the side of tank up the top. I believe there are also smaller ones available.

Another way is to drop the tank, drill out the 3mm or what ever size it is in the recess to 10mm or larger if you can and then cut up a vacuum cleaner filter to suit the recess.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 668325

Sponsored Links