Legal Crab Bait for Blue Swimmer Crabs in SA

Am not keen on buying 3 or 4 Fish heads for Crab Bait at $4.50 a packet because there does not seem to have much fish meat to attract the crabs, there mainly the hard fish head.

Spoke to a guy catching worms on the beach and he said he used Carp as crab bait but the best bait was sting rays, but watch out for the ones with the barbs. Also saw on a Outback Show someone was using Snappy Tom (Cat food) . Just open the can partly and spike it to hold into the net. Seemed a good idea to me also. The Snappy Tom was for mud crab fishing.

What are the legal aspects to using Carp, Sting Rays and Snappy Tom in SA.

I know I can get the Sanitised version from the Fisheries Dept.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:45

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:45
As fare as I know you can only use sea creatures as bait, that rules out chicken and other land based animals.
AnswerID: 399165

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian: SA - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:50

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:50
Easiest is a packet of frozen pilchards - you only need 2 or 3 pillies in a net if the crabs are 'on the go'. Parcel the bait in any mesh you have handy to prevent them from tearing it to bits in a hurry. Don't know where you are trying, but the crabs are really quiet on Adelaide's southern beaches - the few we got were out about 2km in 10m - but hey they were big - 67cm claw to claw.
AnswerID: 399166

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:33
Go to your seafood counter at Coles, Wollies etc, early/mid morning, tell them you want only the the heads, they dump them anyway, take them home cut them in half, then you get twice as many pieces anyway. They will last for hours too.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 399198

Reply By: landseka - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:34

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:34
I don't know how the crabs in SA would like it but in WA we get spleen from the butcher. Pretty cheap bait. I don't know the legalities in SA though.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 399201

Reply By: PeterInSa - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:05

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:05
Thanks for the replies, will try Woolies and Coles and the pilchards in nylon bag.

Neil, as mentioned above in SA cannot use anything like meat that would make it to easy. No, thats not correct, probably Fisheries do not want us to attract sharks., but also some would leave bones in the meat/chicken that could wash ashore and someone could stand on the bones, getting a deep cut etc.

Peter
AnswerID: 399222

Reply By: Member - colin M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:28
If you go to Port Broughton you can watch them going into your net and if they look to small just pull the net out of the way. Pillies in a stocking worked fine when I was last there in 2008.
Colin
AnswerID: 399227

Sponsored Links