Fish Burly, How to make it?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:58
ThreadID: 75161 Views:6264 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Am going Fishing over the weekend, with SWMBO, I am not the keenest fisher of the 2 of us. Heard that you can make Burly by mixing Tuna oil with Chook food pellets, just enough Tuna Oil to make the pellets damp. Is this correct? Is it the best/cheapest option.

What are we Sea fishing for? Anything that bites on Cockles or Squid Rigs, from Beach or Rocky headland.

Will throw the Burly out as far as I can, and wait and wait and...

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve63 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:36

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:36
Not sure I would go about it that way. Not much point tossing the burley way out. I find an old wheat bag tie it to a length of rope attached to a star dropper or rock works well. Just locate it so it stays in the wash if on a beach. You can put just about anything in the wheat bag that is oily or breaks to small particles. Then fish in the stream of bits. If on a beach you will get a collection of bait fish hanging around. Chook pellets and an oil would probably work ok. If you go crabbing use the shells and guts of the crabs, this works really well in a lot of areas.

Beware the leaking tuna oil bottle.

Steve
AnswerID: 399161

Reply By: snow - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:55

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:55
Try a can of Homebrand Tuna cat food. Punch a few holes in the can and tie a line to it...
AnswerID: 399169

Follow Up By: Mike GU - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 17:17

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 17:17
Hahaha, Thats a great idea!!

Ill try that next time i go out!

Just make sure you remove the label as to be enviro friendly.
FollowupID: 668196

Reply By: PeterInSa - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 17:56

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 17:56
Thanks for your replies , will try the Tuna tin without the label of course.

Peter
AnswerID: 399221

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:40

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:40
Try mixing fish cat food with chook pellets and add enough water to reach the top of the pellets and let soak for a few hours until the mix is gluggy enough to roll into a ball.Rather than tossing balls of berley, try using a burley cage above the hook. The burley can be compacted into the cage in small amounts and is probably the most economical and efffective way to use it. Happy Days. Pauper.
FollowupID: 668265

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 22:13

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 22:13
Invite me along. Give me a good feed... as soon as the waves start to slap the side of the boat...

I'll produce a high quality burley for you!
AnswerID: 399276

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:26

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:26
Tuna oil and pellets do work as does the tinned cat food. If fishing from the rocks the fish will often be in close to the rocks not out away from them as often thought. If fishing from the beach you can tie a bag as mention above or something we do especially for sharks is at low tide dig holes in the sand and fill with pellets and oil, cover with a small amount of sand (don't bury to deep). Start near low tide level then every foot or so up to the high tide level. As the tide comes in the waves wash the sand off and release the burly. The fish will follow the trail to your hook. Always fish in your burly trail. I've seen guys with a great burly trail fishing outside it and not catch a thing, move their lines into the burly trail and can't pull the fish in fast enough. Happy fishing.

A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work!!!!!
Josh
AnswerID: 399291

Sponsored Links