Door to Door Couriers

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:52
ThreadID: 75184 Views:2807 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My telco got me to change my Internet plan and promised me a new ADSL modem. That idea got lost somehow but when I called them last Tuesday they said that it would be dispatched the next day and should arrive within 3 working days. (Friday by my calculation).

Yesterday I got a message on my mobile from the courier company asking my address as the one they had wasn't correct. The message was delivered at 9:30 am and I called them at 11:55. The bloke I spoke to was a bit brusque and I had to repeat the correct address and then told them that I was home for the rest of the day. They told me it couldn't now be delivered until tomorrow.

So, tomorrow (today) arrives, the home phone rings at 9:30 am and by the time I've raced up to the garage to answer it the courier driver is telling my message bank that he has already left a card in my box and I should read that. The home phone ha been activated from the console in front of the complex by the courier pressing my unit number. To my way of thinking the courier had a number of ways to deliver my parcel but couldn't be bothered doing so.

To cut to the chase it seems that the courier has made no attempt to leave the parcel or even contact me on my mobile. I now have to go to a Post Office (of all things) ten kms away to collect something that should have been delivered to my door. I think that this courier firm or the individual driver is not doing their/his job.

Any similar stories? At this stage I won't name and shame until I've talked to the courier firm which appears to be a nation wide franchise.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kiwicol1 - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:01
Went through the same thing, found its not the couriers fault but the phone seller. They have no idea once out of the normal postal delivery system, ie rural delivery. rang the phone seller to stick it, after many deliverys, non which worked, also worked out the phone wouldnt have worked in my area, due to rural delivery, which then becomes out of their service area.

col
AnswerID: 399254

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:02
being an ex courier myself, i can say that sometimes they don't even have time to eat. But this guys should have at least tried more then once. Trying to get a courier to ring a mobile, not likely. unless they have the spare time to do it. The freight companies are out to make a dollar and that's why they subcontract stuff out. so they pay the bloke who delivers stuff a pittance based on there calculations.

don't get me wrong there are some fantastic courier guys and girls out there.
AnswerID: 399255

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:54

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:54
Yes, well I guess that I am with the mob. "Your package will be delivered between 8 am and 2 pm." Since I really needed it I sat and waited and sat and waited............... and the long skinny, untidy article (not really a man) turned up at 4.50, Thrust the parcel into my hand and left.
The package clearly said "Identity to be verified". Nice thank you. I sat on my arse at $45 an hour waiting for a dead beat to turn up.
Lousy service by an otherwise unemployable twit!
And I paid "Priority" for this "service"
YUCK
FollowupID: 668244

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 07:54

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 07:54
I ca understand your angst, i waited for a package to be delivered, ended up the guy put wrong address and the courier company couldn't be bothered to ring my number which was clearly displayed to get the correct address.

On the second, i always presented myself in the best way possible, well groomed clean ironed shirt. When i worked in the job. yes i got dirty and sweaty, but there are some standards in cust service you must obey.
FollowupID: 668281

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:42
TNT not always the best but the other day we closed shop early as it was still during the Christmas break.

We had a international delivery due and when the driver arrived at the warehouse he called the emergency number on the door (my mobile) and said he was outside. I asked if he could wait 5 or 10 Min's as I was not far away. No problem. The young guy was polite and had good manners.

Regards

Derek from ABR

AnswerID: 399269

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 22:40

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 22:40
Yes, I've had issues a while back with Aust Post couriers (who are also subbies). I'm retired and at home most of the time, but I was really cheesed off several times when, despite being home, a card was left in the letterbox saying they rang, but no one was home, and to collect the article from xxx post office after 4pm. The bottom line was they never even bothered to ring the bell - too many articles to deliver. An official complaint to Aust Post has now sorted out the problem - their comment was that they'd had a lot of complaints from my area about that courier. All sorted out now - it does pay to complain.
AnswerID: 399284

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 22:48

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 22:48
When in N.S.W. we used packnsend (I think that was there name) to send a very large delicate item. They were almost half the cost of the other major companies and delivered a day quicker than they told me. I was extremely impressed. I have worked in the transport industry before as a driver and in the warehouse so I was very nervous sending something fragile as I know what goes on behind the scenes in some places. It is hard though when you have 10 hrs of deliveries to do in 8 hrs or the last guy on your route closes earlier than everyone else.

Josh
AnswerID: 399287

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 23:32
At least the Courier got the town and the state right - some don't even get that right.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399292

Reply By: AlanDell - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:12

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:12
Courier companies have different procedures for delivering freight and all require a signature on receipt, unless the goods are sent with an "OK to leave". AAE, with their link to Australia Post, will always take the item to the nearest Post Office for pick up by the receiver, if no-one is home. TNT and DHL will leave cards and the receiver needs to call the national number on the card and request re-delivery, or pick up from local depot.

I deal with courier drivers on a daily basis and I find the majority of them good workers and friendly. However, I feel that we are not blessed with great customer service skills in Australia, in a lot of industires, and some people in customer service jobs just see the customer as an inconvenience.

The majority of courier companies will not give a time of delivery as there are two many factors which can effect their normal daily run. Even though most couriers have time critical services available, we find that customers are unwilling to pay for those services, due to the costs.

I agree, Pack and Send offer a more personalised service and when there are problems with the consignment, they will track it and look into it for the customer if there is a problem, and sort it out.
AnswerID: 399294

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:20

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:20
The company is indeed AAE and I will be asking them about their driver whose name I have. If I don't get a satisfactory reply I will take matters further. When I was informed by them that the address was wrong, two things happened. First, the blame immediately went onto the telco (who has managed to get my address right on every other occasion). Secondly I was not impressed by the way I was spoken to by the guy in the office, despite the fact that I wasn't complaining and used a polite and respectful tone of voice. Maybe what happens in the office is reflected in the attitude of their drivers.

Finally, I'm not bagging courier drivers per se. Aussie Post have managed to successfully deliver many parcels to this address.
FollowupID: 668291

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 13:37

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 13:37
"The majority of courier companies will not give a time of delivery as there are two many factors which can effect their normal daily run."

Buses, coaches and trains seem to be able to give times for each destination, albeit they sometimes run late (due to the many factor which also affect their daily run) but they still manage to give a better indication than the courier companies' estimates of "oh, sometime between 10am and 4pm"
FollowupID: 668333

Reply By:- Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:46

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:46
i live just out side a 50k zone in bungendore nsw and they won,t deliver anythink
but they deliver 3 doors back work that one out
AnswerID: 399397

Sponsored Links