Pests from Queensland

Submitted: Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:02
ThreadID: 75228 Views:3673 Replies:9 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
Remember a few days ago I posted some photo's of a little Fresh Water Croc swimming in the pond near my Caravan , well the good news is he is still OK , got this photo of him yesterday afternoon , Had him in the spotlight last night and he is around 1.2m long,
Image Could Not Be Found

Now the bad news is I went down to the large Billabong this morning to see if I could get some photo's of the Crocs down there and found this.
Most disappointing .
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Seems the cause is the Young Toads and millions of tadpoles in the billabongs,
There are millions swarming all over the land this wet season,

killing NT's crocodiles

Cane toad 'red alert'

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:05

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:05
Doug, what made him die, was it because he might of ate a Cane Toads?????????? That is a bit sad seeing a dead one. I know they eat people, but it is still sad. Will you be having crocodile steaks for tea tonight on the BBQ?

You were game getting close to him, he might have just been having a crocodile nap.

Karen
AnswerID: 399564

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:12

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:12
Karen
Yes I would presume he did eat little toads, there was no wounds or marks on him , He was laying legs up when I found it, besides they are not dangerous,

The Freshwater Crocodile, whilst it does not attack humans as potential prey, can deliver a nasty bite. There have been a (very limited) number of incidents where people have been bitten whilst swimming with freshwater crocodiles, and others incurred during scientific study. An example of a recorded attack by a freshwater crocodile on a human took place at Barramundi Gorge (also known as Maguk) in Kakadu National Park and resulted in very minor injuries to the victim, who managed to swim and walk away from the attack. It is believed the victim swam directly over the small crocodile. However in general it is still considered safe to swim with this species, so long as they are not aggravated .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 668528

Follow Up By: Karen & Geoff - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:17

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:17
I hope they can do something about the Cane toads then if that is going to be the impact on the crocodiles. I cant wait to start our trip and get up there to see them in their own surroundings. But.....................I will be needing a pair of binoculars, cause there is no way I am going to go with in meters of them.

It would be so sad to see a dead crocodile, just because he had a frog for tea. I don't think I am looking forward to meeting those big Cane Toads up there though. The crocodiles really intrigue me, they are really magnificent creatures.
FollowupID: 668530

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:03

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:03
Hey Karen and Geoff

Practice meeting those Cane Toads by putting a rubber doll sitting up in your driveway and making sure you get a wheel running over it every time you pull into your garage.

With cane toads at night they have a very distinct sitting upright posture noticably different from that of a frog which tends to sit horizontal to the ground. And running over a cane toad it will make a distinct "pop" sound if you get it exactly right.

I'll be dispatching about 4 tonight in Brisbane as I revisit the spot round the corner where the other night I saw them sitting under a street lamp. My preferred method of despatch now they don't let us have air rifles any more is the trusty star picket.
FollowupID: 668543

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:13

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:13
Hey Porl,
Many years ago before Byron became well visited, near the Golf club they use to sit on the road under a street light.
When you drove over them it sounded like Chinese New Years.
Pop, Pop pop Pop Pop Pop pop pop pop

Hmmm So a mate was telling me. ;)

FollowupID: 668547

Follow Up By: Karen & Geoff - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:30

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:30
I remember as kids living in Labrador we used to rub them on the belly and put them to sleep, lay them on the ground and jump on them. OMG, there is no way I could do that now. The things we did as kids.
IF I seen one now I would be up the nearest lampost................

:-( Awwwwww they are horrible things.

Karen
FollowupID: 668551

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 16:19

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 16:19
This will make you shiver then Karen,
In Ballina as a kids, with out a word of a lie, I saw a few as tall as a football standing end. Can't remember how heavy they were, but as a 7-8 year old kid I know I struggled to pick them up sometimes.
One Builders picnic day at the Yamba golf club, a few of the boys found a dead one. They sat it up, put a fag in it mouth, made a paper hat for it and a empty beer can between its legs and sat it next to the tee off marker.
A very hard hole to tee off from. ;)

FollowupID: 668560

Reply By: The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:08

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:08
Not good Doug.

Ticks me off how the QLD government just let them go and couldnt care less. Now its up to WA and NT to find a solution to stop them.

Pathetic
AnswerID: 399565

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:53

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:53
Wel maybe its just desserts for the pests that invaded Queensland in the past from the southern states - namely rabbits and prickley pear.

FollowupID: 668556

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 09:19

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 09:19
"The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) replied:

Not good Doug.

Ticks me off how the QLD government just let them go and couldnt care less. Now its up to WA and NT to find a solution to stop them.

Pathetic"

You are kidding right???? It never ceases to amaze me that when there's a huge problem, then the government must be to blame. Even if it's a natural event like the dust storms last year when city people were whinging that "the government should do something about this..." , c'mon people, get a grip. If it ticks you off so much, what are you doing to help? Apart from running toads over in your car.... I mean at a level that will make a big difference? So now if the WA and NT can't stop the cane toads, are they pathetic too??

"Member - Wamuranman posted:

Wel maybe its just desserts for the pests that invaded Queensland in the past from the southern states - namely rabbits and prickley pear."

Not too mention Southerners who migrated up here! LOL..... (Tongue-firmly-in-cheek from Brian who was once from South-Of-The-Border himself!! LOL)

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 668649

Follow Up By: The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 20:20

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 20:20
Well then Brian, Ask yourself who brought them to this country?

Who let them get out of control?

Who watched them get out of control?

Who did nothing while they got out of control?

And who wont own up to being responsible for it?

Oh, sorry you answered that already. Queensland Government

I do my part mate for the toadbusters over here, so climb back in your hole and think before you talk.

So if it isnt the government to blame, then is it the Queensland public? Or the farmers?

Someone is responsible. It must hurt seeing the destruction they cause and knowing you never did a thing abot it.
FollowupID: 668728

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:06

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:06
So I post a reasonable response to your post, and what do I get back??

The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) posted:
>snipsnipsnip< "It must hurt seeing the destruction they cause and knowing you never did a thing abot it."

Champion way to conduct a discussion. In line with the "Brave Behind A Keyboard" brigade.

I don't get on this (or any other) forum to indulge in sniping. And I wion't participate with those that do.

FollowupID: 668782

Follow Up By: The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:22

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:22
I think that Brian must be related to K Rudd or something. Gets a little emotional over the government i see.

I dont see how i deserve the label "Brave Behind A Keyboard". I simply asked a few questions and gave you an answer in response to your question. Definitely wasnt trying to act brave, simply stating my opinion.
FollowupID: 669260

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:40

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:40
Your questions were reasonable.
I didn't bother to answer them because I objected to the "so climb back in your hole and think before you talk." line, which unfortunately did not make it to my reply (FollowupID: 668782 I snipped the wrong bit. My error.)

That, IMO, was un-called for. You gave your response, and I gave you mine. I didn't tell you to "climb back in your hole", but you felt it necessary to have a go at me. And now you're saying I'm a relative of Rudd? How did Rudd get involved? And no, I'm not a relative of his, and I didn't vote for him. I'm not emotional over this at all, but you obviously are. That's kid's playground stuff, not a way to conduct a reasonable discussion.

If you can't hold a reasonable discussion without snide remarks, then don't bother at all.

You can reply all you like to this, but I've said my bit and that's it as far as I'm concerned. I'm not wasting any more time, energy or forum space on it.

FollowupID: 669265

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:24

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:24
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Off Topic Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 399569

Reply By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:40

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:40
Sad to see Doug, at least you were in a position to get some very good photos.

At the moment there really is no answer to them, seems to be plenty over at East Arnhamland to.

All the best

AnswerID: 399582

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 16:17

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 16:17
G/Day Doug

Great photos mate, sad to see the Freshy go that way, where we live on the Gold Coast just near Tallebudgera,we have a man made Wet Lands Area that acts as a major Flood Plain Catchment which overflows into the Tallebudgera Creek, in the night time we sit on the front deck and the noise made by Cane Toads is unbelievable, there are thousands of the little buggers making the racket, the only good thing I have noticed since we have been living here is that the Fox's have been dying off in the area, every now and then you will see a dead Fox in the paddock, and the DPI reckon the Cane Toads are cause.

Cheers
AnswerID: 399588

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 17:50

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 17:50
Doug

Doing my bit tonight. Going out toad busting. Should be fun.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 399601

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 18:14

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 18:14
From what I've seen, South East Asians will eat anything that moves.

As far as the Toads are concerned, with a clever bit of marketing, we could be onto a winner.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 399605

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 19:29

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 19:29
Our QLD crocks must be smart enough not to eat our caintoads. Dont worry the rest of the country will catch up with us someday.
FollowupID: 668576

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 19:58

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 19:58
I know I don't travel enough for you to call me a pest :-)

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 399624

Reply By: BarryMcKenzie - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 01:47

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 01:47
I'm not going to stand up for the Queensland government but I thought that the CSIRO launched cane toads in this country and the first word in that acronym? would be commonwealth........
In their infinite wisdom they gave them to FIJI to get rid of the cane beetle in their crops as well, they must have thanked the Commonwealth ever since.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good interstate bash up!
AnswerID: 400123

Sponsored Links