Dogs, and Damn Dog

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 19:11
ThreadID: 75260 Views:3799 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

Damn Dog is getting a bit long in the tooth, but she loves her time in the bush.
Being the dog wimp that I am, we embarked on a journey to find her a companion.

Well I’m here to tell you that I’ve never see so many poor animals, at extraordinary prices in all my life.

During my days in the bush the old man favoured Dogs out of ‘Elfindale Stud’, and he also purchased a few bitches related to the blood line for the yards.

It cost us a lot of money, but also kept us in work. We always looked after our Kelpies and many people remarked on their condition and work.

Those days are long gone, so my little mate is a companion, rather than a working dog.

I read the advertisements in the local papers, Goggled, visited a few people and even went to dog shops. The latter really was an eye opener.

I was directed to a stall, and presented with the most pitiful pup I’ve ever seen. Being the grumpy old fella that I am, the manager copped a fair mouth full, and I walked out.

This mob of bastards wanted $600 for a pup that would most likery be dead in two days. It was'nt the price, but more so the treatment of the animal.

I’m sorry to use this language, but I get a bit upset when I see dogs treated like that.

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rhys - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 19:33

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 19:33
Kim if you think the pup in the shop wasn't in good nick please contact the local RSPCA branch and report it, the so called puppy farms and a lot of the pet shops really need to lift there game and it would be worth a phone call if you think it's necessary, thanks Rhys.
AnswerID: 399765

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 22:43

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 22:43
Ring the RSPCA and report it. Way too many people are breeding for money rather than breeding good dogs.

I would never buy a dog from the shops there are way too many really great dogs stuck in the RSPCA shelters, Talk to them about a dog when you call I am sure they will find one that suits you and that will be happy for a good home.
FollowupID: 668751

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:17

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:17
Dug, dont even have to go to the RSPCA sometimes.

We've got 4 dogs, all turned up on our doorstep as strays. Tried to find their owners to no avail and they ended up staying.

Add to that: 3 cats, 2 Gallahs, 2 rabbits and just recently [after the Tooday fires] 2 ducklings. All have decided to call our place home.

We can handle the tucker bill ok but the vet bills for desexing, inocculations and occasional check-ups are horrendous.

I reckon the biggest contributor to the problem of stray, feral and the poor health of most of thesre creatures is the cost of desexing. There are many people that have their heart in the right place, feed and care for these animals but are unable to afford vets fees. Hence the increasing population, especialy cats.

A Govt subsidy would be a step in the right direction.

Cheers......Lionel.
FollowupID: 668835

Reply By: The other Norm C (WA) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 02:46

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 02:46
Kim
As you are no doubt aware (by your posts and such) you are not buying a pup,
What your actual;ly doing is taking delivery of a mate (or companion)
Reguardless of breed ,colour make or model it's a life long commitment,These people will always be able to conduct their trade as is to unsuspecting people,My mate goes every where I do.As I feel it should be

Image Could Not Be Found
Maybe rambling Too many beers
AnswerID: 399809

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 02:49

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 02:49
I missed the spell check bit
Any way I made my point I think
Norm
FollowupID: 668771

Reply By: john&thejayco - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 07:33

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 07:33
g'day kim,
i think these people who breed in large numbers should be given a swift kick in the proverbial, i bred working kelpies years ago and took pride in handing over pups that were fat and healthy and i can tell you it doesn't cost that much to have pups looking fat and round, a few wormings,keep the fleas away ,keep the tucker up to mum and plenty of feed under the pups feet and their happy.These blokes only think about making a profit,at $600 a pup, one out of a litter would pay to have them all rounder than they were long.It's hard enough to breed good working dogs out of great dogs, let alone breeding any dog to any bitch just to sell a pup.
AnswerID: 399814

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:54

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:54
Now I'm on my "High Horse" I was looking in a pet shop window some weeks ago when the proprietor came out with the usual "can I help you?" I replied "no thanks" He had in the window Shiatsu/ Maltese cross puppies for $500.00. I told him that I would not pay that much for a mongrel dog. He replied that they were not mongrels but designer dogs. I told him that if they are not a registered breed they are mongrels.
I remember when I was younger people used to give any mongrel pups.
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against mongrel dogs but I do object to these dealers and breeders conning the public and abusing poor defenceless animals. The sooner legislation is brought in banning the sale of cats and dogs in "pet" shops the better. I also believe that the R.S.P.C.A. and the Police should have more power to fight animal cruelty and increase the penalties for those people convicted of cruelty to animals.
AnswerID: 399823

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:52

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:52
Sadly many registered 'breeds' have been found to have genetic problems that cross bred dogs don't

These little 'designer' dogs fill a niche. Townies who want a lap dog pet, usually have them 'done'.. they don't breed any further. They provide companionship and if the run out on the road they go 'splat' instead of 'thump'.

Well controlled puppy breeders supply a market and if done properly are much better than most back yard breeders.... many of whome register their dogs and ask big prices.

FollowupID: 668847

Reply By: Ozboc - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 09:30

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 09:30
I have a similar story, in regards to trying to find a dog.

I have been a big advocate of getting rescue dogs - that is dogs on death row - dogs that nobody wants and have dumped at there local pound because of various reasons .... one of the most ridiculous reasons i have heard for surrendering a dog was " It stole a sausage from the bbq " or " my daughter no longer wants to play with it "

Anyway -- i set out to hit the local pounds - shelters - dogs homes - what ever they want to call them selves these days , fact is there just temporary houses before they kill the animals ....

Pounds -- you can not go BUY a dog -- you have to put in a tender for the dog --- that is a blind auction - ie i want the dog in stall 2 b -- i want to nominate $100 for the dog --- you then have to wait up to 2 weeks to find out if you get the dog or not ... you don't get it -- then you have to spend hours again looking for a dog -- testing its temperament - bring your dog down to meet that dog -- and start the tender again .... -- VERY time consuming ...

Dogs homes --- $300 - $350 for a dog .... No matter if its de-sexed or not --- if its not then they will do it as part of the $300+ fee --- if its already de-sexed -- still $300 + -- A lot of money --- you Can not buy this dog if its a PTS for that day ( put to sleep ) they would rather kill the animal at there cost than to give the animal away or give a discount on its Price ( rescue organizations still have to pay full price for an animal marked PTS)

I then get onto Petlink - post a message saying that we are looking to adopt a dog that nobody wants anymore - we are on acreage so the dog will have lots of room to run free and be a dog ---- I get a reply from a guy calling me a cheap blah and blah and i should just go and buy one from a shop. After i explain the reason i don't want to buy one from a shop as i am not helping to rehome an animal that will be killed because its an inconvenience, and animals in petshops are not bred for community service but rather money -- when every day each pound will be putting down about 20 - 30 dogs that nobody wants anymore ... - I never got a reply back

Tried an online rescue site looking for a dog -- some were $400 for dogs 12 - 13 years old/mungrels -- if you want to buy the dog you are then interrogated for 40 MIN + on the phone to find out if your suitable for the dog or not .. Fair enough ...

Basically - 3 months later - after so much stuffing around -- 200$+ in fuel driving around .. i ended up just getting a puppy locally for free - Lab / kelpie -- not a purebred dog -- but she is a very good dog - very loyal and not a cattle risk --

Whats the purpose of this post - just wanted to highlight some of the things involved in getting a dog . They are to easily available in petstores and should be banned --- Its too Hard to get from a Pound as you have to wait -- weeks or months before you get the right dog ..( i remember you used to be able to buy a dog for 2 c same day -- think they put a stop to it when people started to use them as bait for shark fishing and or Asians friends were eating them

and shelters are just to expensive and are not there to rehome --- just to make $$

Boc
AnswerID: 399828

Follow Up By: john&thejayco - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:38

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:38
Boc,
it seems to me your two minutes on the soap box is probably pretty close to the mark. Its probably harder to adopt a dog than a kid.The one thing is the kid will still be there next week , the poor old bitsa you wanted to save, even though you thought 300 to 400 bucks was a bit much,may be pushing up daisies.For people seeking a companion you would think they would be happy to home the animals cheaper at least it would be alive and they are meant to be there for the welfare of the animals anyway.
FollowupID: 668829

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:34

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:34
Boc, spot on mate, agree whole-heartly.

I think back over my years on this planet and I can come up with a list of people, as long as my arm, that I would happily send to their maker, but try as hard as I can, cant think of any animal that has done something to warrant the same fate.

Cheers......Lionel.
FollowupID: 668842

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:55

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:55
Boc... enjoyed reading your post.

PLEASE don't be fooled though. A lab x kelpie by definition is a cattle threat. The lab eats and eats whilst the kelpie works cattle......

I'm sure your lovely companion is well trained and very unlikely to cause problems, but EVER dog has the potential to be a killer and hastle stock.

Yours WILL if circumstances are right [or wrong if you get my drift!].

Not having a go at you, it's just that whenever my stock have been hasled by dogs the owners have always not believed their dogs to be capable of it. All dogs are.
FollowupID: 668848

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 15:00

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 15:00
Royce , hi and thanks for your reply - I know what your saying - and i never assume the dog will be cattle friendly for ever - I ALways keep an eye on my animals and presume they will get up to no good when i am not around --- and get locked up when i leave the property

as for this dog -- this thing is a sook - scared of everything and anything .. hates loud noises -- such as chainsaws - my trail bikes - she kind of barks at things from a LONG distance then runs to hide behind me at any sign of any conflict ... ;)

The other dog on the other hand ( the one i posted about a few weeks ago ) is not to be trusted at ANY moment . He is also a rescue dog i got from deathrow - he now spends most of the day on a runner as his demonstration of bringing down a 5 foot high kangeroo and not listenting to me to stop when i screamed at him ( the dog in knee high ) total softy with the kids --- just not animal / cattle friendly ...

Boc
FollowupID: 668871

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:09

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:09
So what you got that I haven't LOL...your o/t post has survived since Saturday

Yeah dogs.....we got ours from the man who ran the rubbish tip in those days. He rescued the abandoned pregnant mother and our pup was the runt of the litter when born.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers

AnswerID: 400133

Sponsored Links