Mongrel Water marks

Does anybody know if there is any product out there that enables you to wash your car, and not end up without white water spots all over it. without the need for chamoising it.

I am well and truly over the amount of calcium or whatever it is in the water here, windows need cleaning all the time and always leaves water marks on car no matter how good it gets chamoised. surely ther must be a product that someone has brought out that removes the calcium from the water or soemthing.

Its a real pain, even the shower screens inside need to be squeegied after showering or they just start going all blotchy and crap builds up. Not a nice look, and if left for more then a week it takes hours to clean off.

I now only wash car when it rains as the rain water doesnt leave the spots and i dont need to spend another half an hour chamoising. i know its just plain laziness, but it really bugs me when ya try to keep things clean and it becomes a real effort and royal pain in the ass.

Anyone know of a product i could use or try?

The window cleaners and chamois are starting to get too expensive, as only the top dollar stuff works.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 18:38

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 18:38
Have you tried truck wash it seems to work for me. My mate washes his house windows with truck NO chamoising and the windows look perfect.

Just a thought

Cheers Scoot . :-)
AnswerID: 399902

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 18:40

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 18:40
I wash my cruiser about 3 or 4 times a year and that way when I do even with water marks it looks like a new car.
AnswerID: 399904

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 22:21

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 22:21
I don't wash.... and don't worry.
FollowupID: 668999

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:07

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:07
I'm with you Royce.....

I probably wash my Patrol once or twice a year, just to get the dust and mud off it to try and keep the weight down.....hahahahaha

I certainly don't worry about whether it has streaks or little white spots after I HAVE washed it.....where I live it's only gunna get another coating of dust within 24 hours anyway.... ;-(

Roachie
FollowupID: 669094

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 18:42

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 18:42
I rinse off with the blue stuff they use in dishwashers, seems to work for me.
I got one of those bottles that hocks onto the hose and put some in that.

cheers shane.
AnswerID: 399905

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 18:59

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 18:59
G/day Boss,why don't you get a water tank,that way you can catch your roof water,wash your car with the hose then rinse with tank water,great for drinking too.There are a lot of uses for tank water, if you get a pump as well you can wash the new 4by with free water.
Regards, Keith C.
AnswerID: 399912

Follow Up By: The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 19:18

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 19:18
That has definitely been a thought, but it would have to be an underground tank as there aint much room left around the joint. Probably out of the budget
FollowupID: 668961

Follow Up By: disco driver - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 20:47

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 20:47
Kroozer, aka The Boss,
Having lived in an area where the domestic water was highly mineralised, I know where you are coming from.
Here are a couple of thoughts for your consideration.

1. Buy a couple of 200litre plastic drums and collect rainwater in them for car wash purposes only. Use it only for the final rinse off.

2. There are several mobs that manufacture under eave tanks in galvanised or plastic/fibreglass that don't take up much yard space.
I bought a 1500litre one in plastic. It's about 1.2m x 0.9m and about 1.9m high. It fits under the eave and does not intrude too much on the footpath going past.

Disco.
FollowupID: 668980

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 19:48

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 19:48
Sounds like a case of 'New Car Syndrome' to me...lolololololololololololol

Cheers, Dave
AnswerID: 399916

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:51

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:51
LOL! :-)

You could run some wet'n'dry over it then the water won't bead on it any more (but you'll lose the shine too!)

Seriously, I thought Meguire's had some product for treating the surface so the water doesn't bead on the paint and just runs off - have a look at your local AutoPro or SuperCheap... or maybe there is some sort of wetting agent you can add to the water?

Other than that, you might have to rinse off with bottled water!
FollowupID: 669087

Reply By: TassieD - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 21:09

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 21:09
Don't know about the rest of it but you can buy these http://www.whitemagic.biz/ at supermarkets, hardware stores for the shower. While you are showering just wet it and wpie all over the shower glass and rinse. No chemicals and no hard work.
AnswerID: 399928

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:05

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:05
Hi

My Prado is black and I used to hate washing it because of the spots even with chamoising. When clean its beautiful. Spotty and its horrible.

I did find 1 product that I used and it worked fantastically. The water just sheets off, no beading at all. It WAS fantastic and made washing it easy. The paintwork felt like smooth glass when cleaned with it.

I say WAS because I can no longer buy it anywhere. I even look in the shops in small country towns for old stock but no luck as yet.
It is Turtle Wash branded Extreme Wash and Wax. Has to have name Extreme on it and its a green bottle not round more the flat type about 15 to 20 cm high.

I cant find it anywhere so if you happen to find it I would love to buy some. If I walk into a store and see it i will buy whatever they have as it is that good (some will obviously start hammering the Turtle brand but it does work) I emailed Turtle but had no response. Maybe you will have better luck.

I have tried other stuff and none comes close. Look on the label for words similar to "water will sheet off not spot on the paintwork"

Good luck - love to hear if you can find some for both of us. Cheers

AnswerID: 400078

Reply By: Top End Explorer - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:10

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:10
We had the same problem in Jabiru, simple answer is to Chamois the car after to remove all the water.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 400081

Sponsored Links