Levelling the C/T

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:09
ThreadID: 75341 Views:4526 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all! Just a quick question about attaching a spirit level to assist in levelling the camping trailer. I find that I set up and get it all straight looking then go to bed and feel as though I'm sleeping either up/down hill and like I'm about to roll into the Missus! Then I adjust the levelling legs/jockey wheel and the bed feels much better, but the tent is now skew. My mate said to purchase a triangular one for the trailer. Any thoughts? And where do you get them on the Central Coast of NSW? Thanks in anticipation.
Loz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:30
yes well, the problem is that the ground isn't level so you level up the camper to make your sleep more comfortable but that then means that the tentage isn't square with the ground. There is nothing you can do about that except try to orient the trailer so that the head end is up hill, that means you'll need less levelling to give yourself a good nights sleep as it doesn't matter if your head is a bit high.

You can buy little plastic ramps to run the tyre up on the low side or make up a timber ramp. But as you say the tentage will still not be square if you jack up one side.

AnswerID: 400248

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 00:20

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 00:20
If the ground is soft you can dig under the wheel on the high side and a make do spirit level can be a near full glass of water placed on the mudguard or sink cupboard. Happy Days. Pauper.
FollowupID: 669400

Reply By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:31

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:31
Go to your local hardware store, dollar shop or bcf/ supercheap auto might have them. I picked up 2 of them from Flash Harry's up here in Qld a while ago.

Mounted one with double sided tape to the drawbar on the camper. Hasn't fallen off yet, but it is a lttle out due to being knocked around a bit, but can be fixed by removing and replacing the double sided tape.

I will be sticking the second one to the hard floor of the camper so I can make sure it is reasonably level for our daughter to sleep as well.

Cheers

Greg
AnswerID: 400249

Reply By: PradOz - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:39

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:39
Hi there

This site will help you with tips in levelling your camper

I think you are referring to the T shape level at the bottom of the page at the link I referred to. They are available at caravan and camping stores, check out Camec, Rays Outdoors, BCF, auto accessories, even bunnings may have them. Print out a photo and take it with you. Most places have online stores (Eg Camec) so you can get them there. Even available under Caravan on Ebay.

Keep in mind that the longer the level is the more accurate it will be. These shorter ones are really only useful as a guide. I have one and use it to get me close to where i need to be and then i stand back and level it to the final position. If necessary I would use a longer level as a final check. You will be amazed at how far these little ones can be out.

So do not rely on it to be 100% accurate and that all will be 100% level when you read it. Use it as a guide and try to train your eye to get better over time and things will get easier. So stand back and try get it level by eye and then check out the level and you hopefully will get better. Saying that some people will never be able to say when something is level by eye. I am just blessed in that area and its been of great use in my building career. As with any level, a hard knock and its out instantly. If you pick up a few of these in the shop have a look and you maybe amazed that some will be different so some will obviously be out already. If you find several the same you could be confident that you may have a good one. Then when you use it check it out with the final result by seeing if your heads lower in bed or you roll over in bed etc as you say, and then you will know if its accurate or if you need to allow a margin for improvement when it says its level every time you setup.

The link above talks about relying on more than one level. Thats ok if they are all accurate. If you can only level by a spirit level you may have a problem when you go to set up and you find someone has broken your level. Hope this link is a good start for you, cheers....
AnswerID: 400251

Reply By: time waster - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:03
The T levels are great best way to set them up is to get a long spirit level and get the camper perfectly level at home using a trolley jack and jockey wheel then checking levels all over the camper with the big level, once happy with that then apply a good dolop of silicone to the back of the T level then place it on the draw bar/chassis and move it around until it's perfectly level.

Cheers

Christian
AnswerID: 400256

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:48

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:48
The drawbar level only works if your drawbar and the floor are in exactly the same plane.

Some vans and trailer's drawbars may not be level when the floor is.

We have a post level that was the cheapest thing we could buy at the time and just put it on the floor and level across the van the lengthways

Works fine
AnswerID: 400297

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:10

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:10
Loz,

As others have said, even when you fit them they may not be accurate for a few reasons. But after a bit of stuffing around I found that I knew how far out it needed to be so that the camper felt right. Grab a permanent marker on note where the bubble needs to be for a level bed.

Cheers,

Matt.
AnswerID: 400315

Reply By: PradOz - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 13:09

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 13:09
seen the T levels and also bubble levels in Supercheap today for $7.99 each

cheap enough as a starting point for you
AnswerID: 400324

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 15:40

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 15:40
I picked up a small magnetic level from Bunnings for around $10 from memory. It is about 6" long and has a variety of levels on it. Far superior to the T level in my opinion.
AnswerID: 400341

Reply By: Member - Bluemetaldaisy (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 18:51
Thanks everyone for your valued inputs! I'm taking a little bit of advice from all of you to set it up as good as it can be. My wife has already been proactive and got two T levels while I was at work! As a starting point, I'll use both to get a mean reading from the combination of the two. I'll use a large spirit level to check as well. Many thanks again!
Laurie
AnswerID: 400360

Reply By: Ianw - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 21:28

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 21:28
I got one of these little gadgets. Very accurate and easy to use/read!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250520089594&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ian
AnswerID: 400386

Sponsored Links