Lake King to Norseman

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:06
ThreadID: 75390 Views:6894 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone recently driven the road between Lake King and Norseman? What is the state of the road and how long should i allow? I am heading off on the big trip from Perth to Brisbane and plan to leave from friends in Lake Grace, hence the interest in taking this road.

I do not have a 4wd, but my commodore has conquered the Gibb River Road, and gravel does not worry me.

Any thoughts on this route are appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:28

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:28
hi aussielass
ring the lake king tavern or caravan park and im sure you will get the right advice might take a couple of calls to speak to the right person
cheers
AnswerID: 400532

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:44

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:44
Hi Aussie Lass

We have gone through this way a few times - a nice drive and a good short cut, but not good in wet weather. When we were heading home last November we got to the road and found it signed closed, as it seems there had been some rain. We have been through it when it was very wet and muddy - not a proposition for a sedan then. At that time they did not close it, but signage at all times specified "at your own risk". In fine weather you would get through easily with a sedan. Are you towing anything? The whole trip from Lake King to the Norseman Esperance road is from memory about 200 kms, so only around three hours if in good condition and you are used to driving on dirt roads.

You can ring the Shire of Lake Grace and the Shire of Esperance to get up to date reports on their respective sections. The middle section through the Frank Hann National Park if often pot holed and if so it needs to be taken very slowly, but nothing you would need 4wd for.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 400534

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 13:19

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 13:19
hi
the norseman Dundas shire maintains the other section not esperance (motherhen all due respects) and if you dont have a roo bar watch out for roos and emu's even in the day time they can come from nowhere
the locals who ownlake king machinery is a reliable source and his brother owns the tavern they have lived at l/k all there lives
it's a good idea when going through there that you ring noseman police and tell them your e-t-a at norseman then if you dont check in at n/man police stn to confirm your safe arrival by that time

you know if broken down some one will be looking for you in due course

( i have always done this when travelling between lake king norseman or hyden norseman as both roads have the same potential problems although the hyden n/man rd has3mine trucks daily on it's eastern section)

people have died on that rd and several have walked
about 70-100 kms back to l/k and were in not to good of condition on arrival i'm not trying to put u
off but it's a lonely rd and very dry/ hot in summer
but use common sense water /food and you'll be fine and keep your speed down
i know you are a sensible person because you have asked questions on here i hope i have been of assistance i also lived out there for 27yrs
happy safe travels
FollowupID: 669776

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:16

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:16
Hi Mazcan and thanks for the clarification. I had thought it Dundas until last year. When i rang Main Roads to try and find out about the road closure signage, they advised to ring Esperance not Dundas. I don't recall the Shire name on the signage (if any) as i was so disappointed. We had planned to camp at and climb Peak Charles after going past it every other time.

To re-assure Aussie Lass, we usually see the occasional vehicle; even mining co vehicles which seem to disappear down obscure side tracks.

Certainly when we lived at Lake Grace in the early 1970s it was advised to register with Police; it was very much a track then.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669803

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:52

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:52
hi motherhen
back in the 70s ravensthorpe shire actually owned a short section in the middle of that road about 40miles from memory

that they layed claim to in the early days when gold was discovered at hatters hill by ravensthorpe propectors including my grandfather

but ravy shire would not spend any money on its upkeep as they claimed they wanted the eastwest traffic to go through esperance and onto ravensthorpe and not from norseman through to lake king so their section became almost impassible at times
but then the dundas and lake grace shires eventually came to an agreement with the authorities and had ravy shire deleted and now it's maintained a lot more than it ever was
common sense should have prevailed years earlier???? but of course esperance and ravy shire had more clout from a tourist point of view and kept waylaying the obvious decision
just a bit of history
cheers
FollowupID: 669806

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 17:02

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 17:02
Thanks for the history Mazcan. I used to wonder why it wasn't made the direct route for heavy haulage coming to WA from the ES but it was pointed out to me that there was pressure from other places on the present highways.

Who maintains the section through the Frank Hann NP? That is the worst maintained section - if maintained at all. We haven't been through for a few years now after missing out last trip because of the road closure.

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669808

Follow Up By: Aussielass - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 21:15

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 21:15
Thanks guys, appreciate all your info! Sounds like a goer to me!
FollowupID: 669853

Sponsored Links