Strzlecki Track

Hi ,
I am looking at planning a trip from Leigh Creek SA throu the Strzlecki and up to Cairns via all the Developmental Tracks . We will be towing a 18ft offroad van . I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the road conditions are like ? What fuel point are on the way , Also any other relevant information would be great.

Thanks
Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 08:34

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 08:34
Craig
I can't find your profile. Are you a member? If so I would have thought you would be aware of the facilities available throughout the site to answer your questions. if you are not member common courtesy woud suggest that you remove the reference to membership in your sign-up.

teege
AnswerID: 400691

Follow Up By: Gramps - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:07

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:07
LOL did you just get elected

his membership has probably just expired. No need to get so touchy, it's a friendly site.

Regards
FollowupID: 669932

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:26

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:26
Gramps
When I renewed my membership last time, I made the mistake of letting it get to the last day (a friday). My renewal wasn't processed and I was locked out over the weekend. To access the site I would have had to create a whole new sign-up as a visitor. That being the case I don't think this poster is simply an unfinancial member. There seems to have been a deliberate attempt to pose as a member, for who knows what reason. Therein lies the problem. In response to a request such as this I would address a member differently to the way I would respond to a visitor. It is clearly a matter of choice whether someone pays their money and becomes a member or not, and I certainly am not critical of anyone who chooses not to be a member. But clearly the people who have set up the site see benefits in differentiating between members and non-members. There may be a simple explanation for Craig creating this sign-up, but he should at least be made aware that there is a procedure to follow to become a member of the site.

teege
FollowupID: 669935

Follow Up By: Gramps - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:46

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:46
Teege,

There is, as far as I am aware, no restriction on using the title 'Member' in your login name. It's not as if you have to pay to use that title. About the only things that registration checks is if the name is already in use or it violates the Foul language rules etc (although some seem to be a bit too clever for the automatic vetting).

Things must have changed recently as my title remained the same all through the Visitor to Member to Visitor transitions over several years. I was never locked out during those changes either.

As for responding differently to Members as opposed to Visitors, I think that smacks of elitism.

Would'nt it have been easier to point Craig in the right direction regarding information rather than lecturing him about the use of 'Member' in his title? You could have just queried the policy with the site owners via the Moderator button.

Regards
FollowupID: 669938

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 13:24

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 13:24
Gramps
"Elitism" - NO!!! To put it simply I would not go into as much detail for a member, merely pointing in the right direction to find the information. I assume that a member will know his/her way around the site, or will at least have some experience in the outback. For a visitor my normal practice is to go into detail, see thread 75389.

teege
FollowupID: 669943

Follow Up By: Gramps - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 13:29

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 13:29
Teege,

My sincere apologies. I completely misunderstood your meaning. I know where you're coming from now.

We'll leave it at that.

Regards
FollowupID: 669945

Follow Up By: travelmate2 - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 23:43

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 23:43
Teege

how do you change your "Screen Name" as a visitor? because on mine it is grayed out and I can't see a way of changing it

Cheers
FollowupID: 670160

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:40

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:40
travelmate
Sorry I can't help you. All I remember is that it wouldn't let me in under my normal sign-up.

teege
FollowupID: 670168

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:25

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:25
There a many factors you need to consider before leaving on such a trip. Although you might have an 'off road' van if it is not a true off-road then it's likely to sustain structural damage on some unmade roads if you don't drive according to the conditions. You haven't stated what your tow vehicle is. If it's a Coomodore or Falcon you could have some issues. Fuel is generally not a problem in the areas you are referring to although that, like the roads can change if rain should fall. Best to check the road conditions with the authorities prior to leaving as no-one, not even me, can predict what the weather will be like in a week, month or year. You haven't stated what time of the year you pllan to do this trip. That may also be a deciding factor.

SA road conditions LINK

QLD road conditions LINK
AnswerID: 400701

Reply By: Gramps - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:17

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:17
Craig,

Try this
AnswerID: 400705

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 13:01

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 13:01
The Strzelecki is currently being re-built.
They are working their way north from the southern end.
Last November, they were about half way. The southern end was like a billiard table, the northern end was quite rough and broken up compared with its normal "OK" status.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 400716

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 20:03

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 20:03
Gidday

Your question(s) is impossible to answer even if you gave the date of your intended travel. Conditions can change greatly in a very short period of time from smooth to corrugated, dry to wet.

Many Shires shut down unsealed roads after 10mm of rain to avoid costly maintenance, and this should be respected.

This sort of post comes up time and time again, whereby people seem to think that one season is the same as the other. It’s certainly not the case, and it’s your responsibility to make the effort to plan each section of your trip in accordance with the local conditions at the time.

I’ve often seen replies on here from people stating that a certain road was ‘easy last year’ without due consideration to the fact it might be very difficult to travel the following year.

Having said that, the Strzlecki Rd is generally a super dirt highway during the tourism season.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 400755

Reply By: Member - Craig P (W - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 01:28

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 01:28
Thanks ,
Everyone for all your replies.
My current tow vehicle is 100 series TD With all the other considerations on it for a trip like this ie HF , Epirb, Long range tanks ....etc. The Caravan is also fully fitted out for off-road conditions. Both with good Ground clearence.
I am currently Travelling / Working around Oz for the next 5 Years .
When we do the Stezlecki it will be in May and there will be 2 Vehicle.
When it comes to doing remote tracks / Roads I do try and find out as much as I can ie Police , Rangers and Main road and exploreoz.
Just clarfiy I used to be a member but due to finacial restrants I reluctantly concluded my membership. Thus I belieive this is not my fault for the Site showing that I am a member, Also I am led to believe Guests can can post Questions/ Queries........ Or am I wrong!

The reason for asking was just to get a bit more understanding of the road and also if someone had done it recently. I did about 30 km of it the other day and it was fine .As we are currently living in Leigh Creek. And yes I did see the Road crew out there. One of the quieies was the other side of Innaminka ....But I will Check SA Roads and QLD Roads about this.......

Sorry to get some nickers in a knot about asking .

Thanks once again for all the people that Gave good feed back thats what I thought the site was about ........

Craig
AnswerID: 400790

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 14:34

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 14:34
The Adventure Way (east of Innamincka) was also quite rough in mid November, but the bitumen is getting closer too.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 670091

Follow Up By: Member - Craig P (W - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 23:31

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 23:31
Thanks for that Peter .
FollowupID: 670158

Sponsored Links