Diesel Power Chip

Submitted: Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:50
ThreadID: 75483 Views:12685 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just wondering if someone has advice on installing Diesel Power Chips. I have a 2003 3ltr Turbo Diesel Prado, about to tow a TVAN through to the North of Australia, and have heard that I can install a chip to improve my towing power and fuel economy. Has anyone installed successfully?? Are you happy with the mod, and would you recommend??

Cheers
Pickles
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:53

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:53
Have one in a 100ser and while power is up fuel stays the same.

If you are towing it certainly wont get better.
AnswerID: 400997

Reply By: balko - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 21:46

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 21:46
Fitted one to my canter improved power heaps when towing but when empty made no change, Fuel nil change Cheers TB ps worth every cent for towing
AnswerID: 401025

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 00:31

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 00:31
Hi
We have a D'tronic in our TD 4.2 troopy and are very happy with it. Lots more power, fuel usage about the same.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 401047

Reply By: Member - don m (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:24

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:24
G'day Pickles,
I fitted a DP Chip to my D40 Navara 8 weeks ago and it has been the single best enhancement I have added to the car since new.
Just got back from 10 days on Fraser towing the Aussie Swag camper loaded up heavy on top and with a fully loaded tray on the ute and boy, what a difference to previous towing experiences on the island. Fraser was no where near it's softest this year after the Xmas rain but there were still plenty of chopped up parts to bog many cars we saw. Going through Indian Head bypass and other soft areas this year with the Chip was a dream - more consistent grunt and no gear changes - just put the foot down and it just ate it up.
With the chip there are no more flat spots in acceleration on or off road and it pulls like a train. No noticeable reduction in fuel used but not using any extra along with the better performance either. Came back through some soft stuff because of when we had to be home and couldn't wait for tides - the extra grunt makes a huge difference in soft sand.
If you are mostly after extra performance and towing power from your vehicle then a DP Chip is a great add on.
If you mostly want better economy then I wouldn't count on it giving you any better and spend the $ on something else.
I installed mine myself in 10 minutes - just plugs in and you mount it.
Cheers
Don
AnswerID: 401065

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:04

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:04
Same story as previous posters

Have one in our 4.5LV8 Td cruiser......significant imporvement on power..had plenty anyway....does nothing for the economy
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 401081

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:20

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:20
I had a Detronic fitted to my 3.0ltr Patrol for the last 5 years. have found the power gain to be excellent but no improvement in fuel consumption. I didn't really expect to get anY change in fuel but the power/towing gain is terrific.

There are a number of brands on the market for you to choice from. Do your home work to see which one is for you. Safari don't sell the Detronic anymore.

AnswerID: 401085

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:02

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:02
I know nothing about Diesel Power Chips.
Is there no down side to them?
If you get a significant increase in power, don’t you worry about overloading other components like drive trains, big ends - or overheating the engine?
At a caravan park in Darwin a couple of years ago – I meet a guy who said he had a overheating problem after fitting one.
I have 2 mates, going back a few years; one had an old Troopy and the other an old Patrol which they were fitting aftermarket turbos to.
The Troopy's owner was advised that his engine wasn’t suited for an aftermarket turbo as the big ends couldn’t handle it.
The Nissan's owner was advised that his vehicle came out with two different motors – one was suitable for an aftermarket turbo whilst the other was not.
Don’t you have similar considerations for a Diesel Power Chip?
AnswerID: 401090

Follow Up By: Pickles72 - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:13
Thanks for your thoughts Dennis,

I guess that is why I asked in the first place. Slightly different situation, but being a John Deere Dealer we often get asked if we can put a chip in a 9650 Harvester to spec it up to the same HP as the 9750 (Both use the same engine, but the 9750 puts out more HP) I know when we ask John Deere, it is something that is not backed by them, and they suggest against it as per your argument of the components that connect to the power source.

Does anyone else out there have similar concerns??
FollowupID: 670346

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 14:34

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 14:34
With a turbo you are increasing the power by anything up to and beyond 100% and increasing thermal loading.

With a chip you are increasing power up to 25% tops and most only 15%.

There are many happy after market turbo owners who have no problems and then you will get a few who has all the problems..... properly caused by the owners lack of maintenance or who fitted the turbo or fueling or boost.

Most diesels will accept big power increases with minimal impact on the engine or drive train if done right.

You have to remember a diesel engine is built strong to start with so a good power increase is achievable.

We have a DP chip fitted and it makes a big improvement with hardly no fuel increase under normal conditions.

The only down fall is when the going get tough they will drink more fuel them a no chipped one....but you also get more power and driveability.

FollowupID: 670373

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 16:05

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 16:05
Hi olcoolone.
Its obvious that you and many others have used these chips succesfully.

The Troopy owner, I mentioned earlier, fitted the turbo against advice from Toyota.
It ran without problem up until he sold it some years later.
This doesn’t mean that another person would have had the same result.

I have a Troopy V8 Diesel.
I reckon if I blew that up I wouldn’t get much change out of 30 grand.
I wouldn’t fit a chip without an opinion from Toyota, or a warranty from the supplier, on its suitability for my particular vehicle.

FollowupID: 670385

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 22:32
A manufacture will always tell you not to do something no matter what it is.

DP chips warrant the engine and drive train if there chip caused the problem.

TRD Europe has a chip available for the D4D Hilux that they warrant but Toyota Australia wont.

We have friends who have to D4D V8 with chips and they have not had a problem, but it makes a big different to the driveability.

FollowupID: 670481

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 17:06

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 17:06
When i fitted mine I also fitted a 3"mandrel bent exhaust and this helped immensly as well.

No point in trying to blow extra gases down a small hole

We had it dynoed before anything was done after the exhaust and then after both.

The exhaust made a difference on its own and the chip even more.

Actually improves the running by metering the fuel better.

Mine if I booted it hard would blow a lot of black off the line but after the chip it hardly blows any.

Wife moaned about the cost till I gave it a good squirt on the way home.

AnswerID: 401163

Reply By: aka - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 19:00

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 19:00
I called into an offroad shop WAUCHOPE and the bloke in there said not to fit one to a three speed auto puts to much pressure on it
AnswerID: 401348

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:43

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:43
Which vehicle are you refering to with the 3 speed auto ?? Regards Steve
FollowupID: 671141

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:59

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:59
I'd love to know just how many people that have had a chip installed also have an EGT gauge so they can measure their exhaust temps. Effectively all these chips do is increase fuel rail pressure so that for any given opening of the injector more fuel is injected into the combustion chamber. I bet the majority of people are flying blind regarding their Exhaust Gas Temperatures after having the chips fitted.
When I get a newish Pajero (hopefully soon) I'll install a chip along with several other mods I have in mind but I'll make sure that my maximum EGT's are around the 550C mark post turbo under load.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 401760

Reply By: aka - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:34

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:34
I have a 2001 diesel prado l was real keen to do it until he said that he suggested to put a straight through muffler on which l already have .l tow a 2ton approx caravan going to west australia 2008l l towed in overdrive mostley and averaged 17 1/2 mpg went to qld last year and got nearly 19 towing in direct
AnswerID: 401863

Sponsored Links