bore ttrack entrance

Just looking on the map and it looks like there is a road/track before Merty Merty coming from Lynhurst to Cameron corner. Does anyone now about this road/track or do you go to Merty Merty and back track?
Seems a long way up to come back down again.

cheers shane.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:37

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:37
Gidday Shane

You’ve got me a bit confused, which track are you talking about?

Quite a few years ago there was a dam on the right hand side of the Strzelecki Rd before the turn off to Cameron’s Corner. There are remnants of a Track at the Eastern side of the dam.

A couple of mates and I walked it for a mile or so, and then gave up because it was totally over grown. Other than that I can’t help you without further information.

Send an email to Bollards Station; I’m sure they will answer your question.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 401198

Reply By: burnsy - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:42
There is a shortcut to Cameron's corner.
It leaves the Strzelecki about here
S28 58.025 E140 07.742

regards
Mike
AnswerID: 401201

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 21:28
Burnsy,

I don't have access to maps showing lat and long for that area at the moment but does that track come to the bend where the CC to Merty Merty track turns north.

I spent some time looking for that track about 7 years ago. There used to be a black and yellow portable roadwork type barricade across a track in that area. It was apparently a reasonable shortcut years ago and came to the Strz just north of the Strzlecki Creek.

I spoke with a guy who runs tours in that area and he said that he had used it but that it was pretty rough and it was quicker to follow the main road. As far as I am aware it has not been used since before the end of 2002. My guess is that it is no longer a viable option for anyone other than someone pretty serious about getting off the beaten track. Maybe one for Willem to look at.

So Shane,

If that is the track you are asking about no, I don't think it is an option for you. Go up to Merty Merty and follow the main road. But that track is not the Bore Track. The Bore Track goes north through Bollards Lagoon Station which is about 8km west of CC, It comes out on the Innamincka - Nappa Merrie Rd about 20min or 30min east of Innamincka.

Hope this all helps
Duncs
FollowupID: 670459

Follow Up By: burnsy - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 23:13

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 23:13
Davo 60 is right.
If you cut & paste the coordinates I gave you into google earth you can see the track. It leaves the south side of strez creek travels northish for a few km to a tee intersection where you can go west to strez creek or east on towards Cameron's corner where the road again turns north to meet the Merty Merty to Cameron's corner road about where it turns sharply north.
We travelled it last a couple of years ago & it was fine 2wd track.
It's a good shortcut if coming from the south.
As others have said this is not what is known as the bore track, It starts at Bollards lagoon station and heads north.
Regard
Mike
FollowupID: 670491

Follow Up By: burnsy - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 23:18

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 23:18
You jogged my memory.

Yes I do remember what I think was a road closed sign lying beside the Cameron's corner end of this track.
Regards
Mike
FollowupID: 670494

Reply By: mechpete - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:52

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:52
going from Tibiburra to Camerons corner. go through the gate and take the turn into Bollards Lagoon H/std . its about 5 ks from the gate
cheers mechpete .
AnswerID: 401205

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 21:46
Gidday

Now I'm totally confused. We've got one bloke coming up from the south and another from the east! Tiboobura is not all that far, but it's unlikely I'd call it a short cut from the Strzelecki to Bollards.

LOL

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 670465

Reply By: Davo_60 - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 22:37
G'Day,

There is a shortcut between the Srzelecki and Cameron Corner, it cuts straight through to the old Strzelecki bypassing Merty Merty. However I am not sure at what point the entry is when coming from the South. I used it two years ago but that was coming from Cameron Corner. Good track, 60-80km/h and saved heaps of time. I found out about it from a local at Cameron Corner, there was a truck mudguard or similar marking the entrance on the old Strzelecki.

Cheers,
Dave
AnswerID: 401222

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:01

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 13:01
Hi Shane
We traveled that track last year, east to west. It was in fairly good condition except for a few large washouts which we had to find a way around at the eastern end, just after leaving the track to Merty Merty.

Image Could Not Be Found

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 401294

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 21:16
Thanks all, yes I got a bit confused. its not the bore track but the short cut to camerons corner from the south.
I looked at it on google earth and it looked ok except the start of it from the south.

cheers shane.
AnswerID: 401380

Sponsored Links