Car salesmen

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:37
ThreadID: 7555 Views:1689 Replies:15 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
GRRRR - car salesmen - scourge of the earth as I previously said - gave me $6500 for my import Terrano - have it in the yard for $13,000!!!!! - I know I could have got more myself selling privately - but who has the time and wants to deal with all of that - good car if anyone is looking for one though - if you ae a forumite in vic and looking for one - we have the service history since we bought it anyway. contact through here.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Time - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:05

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:05
I am not a car salesman (but my sister married one!), lets look at how "they " might justify the extra $6,500. As a rough rule of thumb there is a $1,500 allowanvce for warranty, $1,500 to $2,000 for haggleing/jacking the trade in value and $2,500 to $3,000 margin. From that margin comes the salesmans commission $500 to $1,000 depending on the yard. Then overheads for the yard say $500 per vehicle per month. Doesn't leave too much for "clear" profit does it.

Moral here is never pay sticker price, always haggle, and if you can, sell your trade in privately.

Cheers

Buggerlux
AnswerID: 32591

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:20

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:20
There is no "justification" for a $6500 profit.

$1500 for warranty, don't think so !

You would be looking at a around of $2000 to cover warrenty, sales commission & profit. Any thing over this would be a bonus.

I doubt a rep would get $500-1000 for selling a $10,000 car, more like $200-300.

The car yard obviously offerd a ridiculous amount & the guy accepted.......there probebly still laughing !!!
FollowupID: 23294

Reply By: cruiser - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:06

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:06
I don't want to sound like I am sticking up for the car salesman, but he didn't give you $6500 for your Terrano, you accepted $6500.

If you weren't happy with it, you should not have accepted it, and thats the truth of the matter. You knew he was going to sell it for more that he paid you, and if $13,000 is the going rate for a Terrano through a car yard, then a bit of homework through Redbook or something similiar, should indicate what you could realistically expect when trading it in, assuming you did not wholesale it to him, because if you wholesaled it, then the value will realistically be less than if trading.

A bit of homework could have resulted in more $$$.
AnswerID: 32592

I don't want to sound like I am sticking up for the car salesman, but he didn't give you $6500 for your Terrano, you accepted $6500.

If you weren't happy with it, you should not have accepted it, and thats the truth of the matter. You knew he was going to sell it for more that he paid you, and if $13,000 is the going rate for a Terrano through a car yard, then a bit of homework through Redbook or something similiar, should indicate what you could realistically expect when trading it in, assuming you did not wholesale it to him, because if you wholesaled it, then the value will realistically be less than if trading.

AnswerID: 32593

AnswerID: 32594

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 21:21

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 21:21
You didnt sound like it Cruiser...any of the three times you posted

redbook saves $$$$$$Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 23339

Follow Up By: cruiser - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:38

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:38
Sources such as redbook, carsales.com.au, drive.com.au etc etc are particularly good resources for doing the homework to determine a cars true value in the market place. A bit of time spent doing some research could have meant more $$$$ in the pocket.

It seems to me (and a lot of others that have replied in this forum) that this person was to hasty and paid the price due to lack of knowledge or was just plain ripped off and now they want to cry on everyones elses shoulder rather than accept the responsibility themselves, and I for one, have no sympathy for them.

As for the 3 posts, who knows what happened there. You press submit once and get three posts. I'm not the only one to do it and i am sure i won't be the last.
FollowupID: 23367

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:07

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:07
They only suck you in if you let them, you should of done your homework.

$6500 is a lot of money to throw away just because you don't have the time or couldn't be botherd !

The up side is you will most probebly want to take more time & effort when pricing your next car from another car yard.
AnswerID: 32595

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:49

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:49
Yeah look I agree . . . you got sucked in . . . should have got around to "bothering".
AnswerID: 32598

Reply By: Member - Eric- Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 16:08

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 16:08
I really gets my blood pumping when I hear people wing and wine haw they got ripped , Do you think the car yard pays 100 k a year rent , employes 10 or more staff , just for you to get a great deal . They are wheelers and dealers of there trade . If you cant be bothered to advitise your own car , sit at home and wait for the phone to ring , and then they 'might" turn up . Then you will accept what is given to you by wholesalers and yard . It wasnt the yard that gave you a bad deal . it was your laziness . Now the yard is selling a car with a warranty also guarranted title , but hey so what , im special , should get that for freeCraigs hut 2003
AnswerID: 32608

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 17:02

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 17:02
Car salemen are like vacuum cleaner salesmen.......all have to make a living. I agree with most of the others...you should not have accepted it if you didnt like what was offered....silly you...just like me the otherday.

8/8/2003 i bought some shares for $1.25 and by 4/9 they had hit a high of $1.91 only to drop to $1.40 on the 19/9. I got out on the 19/9 at $1.42 and they kept dropping for a couple of extra days to $1.35....hell was i lucky to get out of there when i did!!! and make the profit i did.

%$#&*%$ stockbrokers they up up to $1.68 today !!!!!!!!GTP was the asx code
It was a good deal at the time and i accepted to Sell at what was being offered the Buyer. If only I had done my Homework!!!! Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 32611

Reply By: Alan H - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 17:58

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 17:58
I got a silly price quoted for my Discovery, but left it at home for a couple of months while I put up with the idiots who just came for the drive, and got within a couple of grand of what I had wanted.
It was frustrating but worth it.
And the original salesman accused me of being unprincipled for supposedly shopping his price around for a the vehicle I had been interested in. I got a better deal from a country dealer on a new vehicle, better than trade price for my Disco., so am quite satisfied.
Patience is a virtue ............ but hard when you've got tyre kickers around!
AnswerID: 32621

Reply By: landie - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 19:47

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 19:47
Just goes to show - two borne everyday, one accepts $6,500 for something worth $13,000, and one will pay $13,000 for something worth $6,500.

AnswerID: 32630

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 20:26

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 20:26
Landie,you got that 100% correct,not forgetting that a FOOL and his money are soon parted.
FollowupID: 23327

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 07:46

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 07:46
pity we dont listen eh?
we seem to make the same mistake sooner or laterWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 23365

Reply By: Luke - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:10

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:10
Yep, the others are right.

It's nobodies fault but your own that you got ripped off. Why did you accept $6500 for a car wirth maybe $13000? 'Cause you didn't want to sell it privately.

That's not the dealer's fault - it's yours.

...maybe next time you will take the time to sell your car for what it's worth and save yourself thousands.

Don't blame the dealer because you were lazy :-)
AnswerID: 32663

Reply By: jules - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:17

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:17
Well - i got wwell and truly chastised didn't I? I knew that I could get a lot more privately - and I accept that car yards have to make a profit - yarda-yarda - blah-blah - but they just talk sh----t - talk your car down and theirs up - ok I could have kept and sold privately MAYBE - hard to do it all when you both work full time, and weekends are better spent travelling than sitting waiting for someone to turn up or taking phone calls - much rather be on the road than that - - I knew when I went to the yard what would happen - my brother is a car salesman and I wouldn't buy anything off him - only believe half of what he tells me about anything - - it is just the crap they carry on with as if they are doing you a favour - and there is ALWAYS something major wrong with your car and absolutely nothing wrong with theirs.
Sorry if I offended anyone with my original post - but isn't that what this forum is for - voice your opinion on related subjects? - and don't tell me I am the only one who has done just what I did - that's why there are so many car yards around - how many have bought their vehicles privately?

AnswerID: 32666

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:26

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:26
have traded in my last car for the exact reason i new what they gave me was crap and i new what theyd try to sell it for but i needed the quick sale. The only difference is that i didnt have a whinge about it cause i was prepared for all that crap you said they go on with.
AnswerID: 32672

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:11

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:11
I guess this proves what I always thought, "IT IS NOT ANY FEMALES" that get taken advantage of by car saleman."They treat me badly because I am a women". They treat badly anyone who will let them.
Let the buy (or in this case the seller) beware.

regardsThis 4WD stuff is addictive,
time consuming & expensive.
AnswerID: 32677

Reply By: ross - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:33

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:33
Jules,they are all the wiser because its a fair bet that all the people that replied to your post have already been bitten before by car yards also.
Free tip - spend months not days preparing to buy a new vehicle and sell your old.
Look in as many papers/trader mags as possible so you know what is reasonable buy/sell price.
Dont get caught up in the mentality" that if I dont buy this one Ill never get another chance again".
Remember that salesman do this hundreds of times a year while you only do it once every 5 years.Your playing at their game.
AnswerID: 32680

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 16:18

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 16:18
People don't need to be "bitten" to be wise about things.

What it comes down to is that your've saved & payed off a loan for an expensive car in the first place so you are smart enough not to let it go easly, as it wasn't "easy" to get.

Or just learn from other peoples mistakes !

Kev.
FollowupID: 23388

Sponsored Links