Where do you put it?????

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 19:59
ThreadID: 75578 Views:3558 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am in the process of trying to fit the outboard for my tinnie to the back of the caravan. The motor weighs about 45KG’s and the rear “bumper bar” will be strong enough to hold that and also the Little Bulldog Folding Trailer that will look after the folding trailer. Unfortunately when I bought the second-hand trailer the previous owner couldn’t remember what he did with the bracket, you know the one that the trailer fits on when travelling so I have been trying to locate one of those as well. The tinnie will be on the roof fitted to a Custom Boat Loader.
With regards the mounting of the outboard I have spent about an hour or two trying to work out how best to fit the outboard motor to the rear bumper so that it will be safe enough to travel with. I would like to try and lay the motor down on its side if that is practical but I am open to ideas. I don’t want to cover the tail lights on the back of the van for obvious reasons!
I don’t have any room on the front drawbar as this is already taken up with an aluminium toolbox. Can anyone help out with maybe some ideas or photos of how they have fitted their outboards and trailer brackets. I have tried to buy a new bracket but the LBFT company have closed down for whatever reason. When I first contacted them, they told me they were relocating premises and would be open for business in about 3 or 4 months and that was 7 months ago. I now can’t even find a telephone number to try and call them to see if they are back in business.
Does anyone know if they are still trading?

Many Thanks & Kind Regards,
Dirk T
When all else fails!..............Have a beer, or 2 or 3 or 4!!!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dbish - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 20:15

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 20:15
Hi Dirk T, The best position for any watercooled Outboard is upright so water drains from motor, it will thank you for that. Cheers Daryl
AnswerID: 401521

Follow Up By: Dirk T (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:14

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:14
Thanks for that Daryl.
Thanks to everyone who has bothered to help me out.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 671184

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 20:20

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 20:20
You could always do it like one fella I saw a while back, He had it mounted on his Bull Bar.

Now that'd be a frightening site for a pedestrian in his way wouldn't it.

Harold Scruby obviously missed it.

AnswerID: 401523

Follow Up By: WYSIWYG (Bundaberg Qld) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 20:40

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 20:40
What a shame he missed Scruby with it LOL
FollowupID: 670868

Reply By: WYSIWYG (Bundaberg Qld) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:01

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:01
Hi Dirk,
Here is a couple of picks of how we carry ours on the van. I took the van and outboard to a local trailer manufacturer and told him where and what I wanted and a couple of hours later it was done. I got him to make it detachable for different configs.

Send me a PM if you would like close up pics of the brackets off the van and I'll take a couple tomorrow.

Cheers

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 401528

Follow Up By: Dirk T (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:13

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:13
Thanks for your photos Kev, they have given me some ideas.
Any progress on the other photos you were going to send on?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 671182

Reply By: DIO - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:39

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:39
Whatever you decide, be careful of allowing items to protrude front and rear of the bumper bars. ADR's (Australian Design Rules) are very specific and particular in regard to such protrusions. It is considered as dangerous and illegal and you can be fined for such actions. Better to be safe than sorry.
AnswerID: 401599

Follow Up By: Dirk T (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:16

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:16
Thanks DIO,
I have taken your suggestion on board, but can't see any problems with the way I was going to do it.
Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 671187

Reply By: Member - michael H (NSW) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:50

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:50
Hi Dirk
I have installed a spare wheel carrier on the back of my Landcruiser specifically for an outboard/electric motor
Tinny/canoe sits up on the roof ready to go.
I do plan on making a mount for the camper trailer on the "A" frame soon mainly to store while travelling

Cheers Michael
AnswerID: 401607

Follow Up By: Dirk T (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:22

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:22
Hi Michael,
I am a bit at this stage to fit a spare wheel carrier on the new 200 Cruiser as that also adds weight. I hope that what has been suggested to me will fit the bill.
Cheers

PS. I hear what you say about the camping gear, but remember "A Happy Wife is a Happy Life!"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 671190

Reply By: Von Helga - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:06

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:06
Dirk,
Will the box transfer to the rear of the van and then motor on the draw bar?
Cheers
Trevor
AnswerID: 401738

Follow Up By: Dirk T (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:19

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:19
Hi Trevor,
No unfortunately the tool box cannot be relocated as it also stores my 2 x 130ah batteries in it. I have received several good suggestions and hope to solve my predicament with some of these suggestions.
Cheers.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 671188

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:39

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:39
I will probably get flamed for this but will say it anyway.

Manufacturers go to great lengths to produce a van that complies with the law and so not cause the customer any troubles.

The customer then gets it home and sticks a beeping great toolbox on either the back or the front plus two spare tyres and an outboard,

Not referring to this poster by the way

They then load it up to the hilt with everthing regardless of weight.

Fill the car up equally so and whack a roof rack and tinny on it. Load up the rack under the tinny to the max.

Do they weigh it do they care I wonder sometimes.

Vans and cars have limits but some dont seem to worry

Vans also have overhang limits at the rear Eg my Coromal legally cant have a spare on the bumper because its 150mm too long in the overhang

A 100 ser Cruiser for instance has a towing capacity of 3500kg.

But NOT at its fully loaded GVM of 3260 kg

Reason the GCVM is only 6680kg which gives a towing limit of 3420kg including roof rack and ball weights as part of the 3260kg.

This is hard to achieve if you have a heavy van as with a ball weight of say 300kg and fuel of 145kg so thats 445 kg out of your 672kg limit for an Auto
Manual is 30 kg less.

So that leaves you 227kg for you and mum and any gear you want to carry in the back. Take off 130 kg for the roof rack and its load and you have 97kg left for you and mum amd now no load and you are already illegal. Then you weigh the van and its 3480kg so Hmmmmmmm what do we do now.

Do we go as we are with quite likely no insurance if we have some misfortune
or do we get sensible and lighten the load.

Upgrading the GVM of the car may be an option but it DOES NOT upgrade the GCVM so whilst you can carry more you can tow less.

A perfect instance of this was a guy who was beside me at Jurien Bay

Great big Bushtracker with HUMUNGOUS tool box on the A frame Tinny and trailer upside down on roof rack of Cruiser
Spares and outboard on the back of van.

I asked him how much it weighed.

Somewhere about 3.7 tonne he said laughing.

Also weight distribution is upset by adding extra weight at both ends and can lead to snaking and swaying.

There is a thread with a link about this done by a university in England and by adding weight as described and running through a mild slalom course proved that it lead to jacknifing after a certain point was reached.

Your vans, your money, your lives Just setting out some limits which it seems are neither heeded or worried about.

Cheers

AnswerID: 401756

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:46

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:46
Got carried away there and forgot to say that vans also have a limit of usually 300kg for a single axle van or 400kg for a tandem.

Some off road have higher capacities

We found it hard to stay legal with a tandem and enough stuff for a years touring in both the car and the van.

We had to leave r/rack behind and take a bit of gear out of both vehicles.

We have never missed the stuff so guess we didnt need it and others could do the same.
FollowupID: 671177

Follow Up By: Dirk T (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:26

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:26
Hi Graham,
Yes weights are a problem. I have tried to be as methodical as possible with what we have in the van, and sometimes you do have to leave some stuff behind, but my wife complains quite loudly if I don't take her with me!!

Thanks again to all who bothered to reply and offer ideas.

Cheers
Dirk T

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 671191

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:19

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:19
Its not so much the weight as where you put it that can cause problems

Adding a lot of weight to the rear of a well balanced van can be a recipe for disaster.

The guy who does my van repairs said that when you hit a bump the weight can increase up to sevenfold so hope the bar is more than adequate.

Some say Oh well I added 100kg at the back so will even it out with 100kg at the front.

This has been proved to contribute to a horizontal pendulum effect.

FollowupID: 671199

Reply By: WYSIWYG (Bundaberg Qld) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:08

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:08
Hi Dirk, finally got one pic done, will try to get some with the bits shown on the rear bar asap

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 402023

Sponsored Links