Hilux/Diesel Engine Servicing?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 14:47
ThreadID: 7558 Views:15225 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everybody,

I own a 1998 Hilux, 3.0L diesel, 135k on the clock. I am just wondering what people do to their diesel 4wd's when "properly" servicing their vehicles.

I change the oil every 5k and filter every 10k. Diesel filter gets changed every 10k. I have also recently changed the rear diff oil and am about to do the front diff at 140k. I lube the drive train grease nipples every 5k. The airfilter is due for replacement. That's about all I do except for a fortnightly wash and monthly wax of the duco.

How do I know when the injectors need replacing and pump retimed?
How often should my manual front hubs be torn down and inspected?
What about valve clearances? How often should I inspect them?
I realise that a major service such as cam-belt/air filter/radiator-hoses/belts etc. is due at 150k. What else is there to do??

The motor runs strong, doesn't smoke (except for a small puff of white at startup on cold days).

I like to work on my car and grease on my hands :) and am after some help from the more experienced out there.

Thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 15:16

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 15:16
Servicing the driveline depends on how often its in extreme areas.

Like if you cross rivers, do it more, Unis on the tailshafts etc, CV's wheel bearings, etc.. For the time it takes, do it every few mths.

Gearbox is another one, transfer case.

Injectors, its a touchy subject with me at moment, diesel "EXPERTS" claim every 100,000 they should be done, and pump 150,000. They then state that you should do both together! or at least do the pump BEFORE the injectors.

Buy a workshop manual for your car, and then go from there, check out what it recommends, there are many different things to check and play with!
AnswerID: 32605

Reply By: haze - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 19:03

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 19:03
The service schedule as part of the owners book will give you the clues. For instance my cruiser book details all aspects of each service, including allowed time for each function (but how they manage to repack 4 wheel bearings as well as the rest of the work in 5 man hrs. is beyond me!) I do ALL my own work, then I know its done. Its also bloody handy if something does go arse up "out there", at least you are familiar with the nuts & bolts. Both my present vehicles, (75Toyo,Tdi disco) bought new had the dealer 1500km. service but never back since! And no probs. either.
Good luck in your endeavours, and more power to the greasy hands!
cheers haze
AnswerID: 32628

Follow Up By: Bob - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 23:52

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 23:52
You have a rare Tdi disco if you've had no problems. Were you not concerned about voiding warranty by doing own services?
FollowupID: 23363

Reply By: haze - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:22

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:22
Bob, I know of quite a few disco's, and proven to be pretty fault free. But I do wonder how many of the problem ones are created by crook dealer servicing. When the defender came out as a trayback, landrover were inundated with gearbox failure claims. I know personally of 2 that karked it. (1 had its sevice n.qld. other cent. coast nsw) The problem: mechanics were replacing the ATF gearbox lubricant (which they are designed to run on) with sae 90. The cooling system is another case in point. To refill from empty can take up to 11/2 hrs. to completely expel ALL the air. And if you dont, overheating is a certain result. Its an alloy head, and there are plenty of known head gasket failures. But should you blame that on the vehicle? I dont think so.
Call me stupid, but am inclined to think most warranties arnt worth the paper they are written on. As a bit of humourous aside, when I bought the toyota (97) and after all the price haggling was over I was "counselled" about the fact I was commiting a lot of money, would it impact on family, etc. The purchase was at SCT in the Cross.(syd.) and when I went to collect, (had a mate with me) tipped $32000 in cash out a red white and blue bag! That sales managers face was something to see!
cheers haze
AnswerID: 32667

Reply By: howesy - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 20:31

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 20:31
I went for an aftermarket fuel filter with a glass bowl . The filters are cheaper and I change them every 200000 and had no probs.
The Oil filters are cheap as chips so why not replace it every service. A new diesel engine will break the bank. it's cheap insurance.
I get my injectors serviced every 200000 and have new nozzles put on.
I get my pump completely stripped and redone with the injectors.My pump and injectors usually come to $600 to $800 depending on where it is done.
I put a cyclonic head on the snorkel and it stops heaps of crap from going to the filter and makes them last longer between cleaning as I have washable air filter and a spare. I don't get the valve clearance done unless I can hear the valves. The lux shouldn't have tappet probs unless you have wear or re-fit the cam or something.
AnswerID: 32724

Reply By: tex1972 - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:17

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:17
bogged again if you have a look in the back of the owners manual it will have a servicing guide for "normal" and "extreme" operation.use this as a guide and you can't go to far wrong considering the people who designed the vehicle wrote it. it will give info on oil and filter change intervals down to brake fluid and rocker adjustments.and about warranty as long as the mechanic you use does it by the book and is a member of the mta you will not void your warranty contrary to what dealers will try to tell you.
AnswerID: 33062

Follow Up By: Bogged Again - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:42

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:42
Thanks to everybody that responded. Sounds like a Gregorys repair manual and following the service intervals allotted in the owners manual should see my truck for many k's to come.

Think I might change the oil filter every 5k. Filters are cheap.

I am using Shell Helix diesel. Yay or Nay? What do other 4wd owners use?

Thanks and best regards,

Bogged Again.
FollowupID: 23773

Sponsored Links