advice on 100 series landcruiser

Submitted: Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:26
ThreadID: 75590 Views:7743 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has some useful tips on what to look out for when purchasing a 2nd hand 100 series.
Currently looking at a 2003 model t/d with 5spd Auto with 145,000 Klms. All seems good but is there some obvious areas that could be a trap for the novice such as I.
Would appreciate any advice.
thanks
Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:47

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:47
Paul,

Check for service history and also that the Recalls have been done. Recalls have been for the Brakes, In Cab wiring harness behing the pedals, plus a couple more I can't think of at the moment.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401612

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:48

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:48
Check to see that servicing has been completed, up to date.

check with toyota dealer using VIN number to see that all recall work has been carried out ( in particular, lower wishbone modification/replacement, bullbar mounting (if fitted), etc)

That's all I can think of ATM.

HTH

AnswerID: 401613

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 13:53

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 13:53
I believe that around that year they had trouble with the front lower wishbone cracking which can allow the wheel to partially fall off causing big bucks damage.Worth checking.A google search on this will reveal what to look for.
AnswerID: 401622

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:56

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:56
By now they would all have been fixed under recall or fallen apart.

If you need to check and can get the VIN a Toyota Dealer will tell you if there are any outstanding recall items.
FollowupID: 671034

Reply By: Off-track - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 16:33

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 16:33
Only major problem areas really are the lower wishbone cracking and front diff breakages. Also have a look at the radiator to see if the fan has contacted it through a water crossing.

Generally just have a good look around like any 4WD - look at the underside to see where it has spent it's life. A lot of stone chips and red dirt stains and scrapes will show evidence of reasonable work out west. Traces of sand and surface rust will show some beach work. Look at the diff, gearbox and transfer case plugs to see if the oil has been changed.

Check filters, if they are genuine Toyota that indicates it has been serviced correctly and/or the owner wont skimp on cost (OEM oil filters are much dearer than aftermarket, but also better). Check air filter.

At 150,000 it will be due a timing belt and, according to servicing schedule, will require replacement of injector lines, although this is rarely done by owners until at least 200,000.

Check for panel repair / replacement.

If private you can get an idea of the car from your impression of the owner. If dealer make sure they have all the books, otherwise walk away. If they do have the books take note of the previous owner and give them a call to check it's history.

Have a look at the LCOOL forum.
AnswerID: 401648

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:11

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:11
The lower control arm was only a problem on 2002 models within a specific VIN number range.
It was apparently caused by a Japanese robot welder that was drunk on duty LOL

4wd monthly a year or so ago published the numbers and did quite a good article on buying a 100 ser.

The two reacalls are for Rotor bolts and the other required a cover over a loom above the brake pedal.

The recall stickers are normally on the pillar when you open the drivers door and are silver.
Our 2005 was a govt car and has given no trouble and has done 132,000.
the last 44,000 towing nearly 3000kg.

Check auto oil is clean and doesnt smell burnt.

Look underneath for rock damage on trailing arm hangers and other places that hang down..

Pull back door seals and look for red dust. Its very hard to get rid of

Auto should be smooth and not bang into gear when upshifting.

Check brakepads my rears lasted 95,000 fronts are ok after 70,000.

Check tyres for unusual wear patterns but is pretty hard to bend things on these.

expect 11-13l per 100k and about 17-18 when towing

Service costs if done by Toyota low $240 5,000k one to $900 for 140,000 160,000 plus timing belt at 150,000.

Had auto serviced last week Cost me $275 for drain and fill etc

Have fun they are a great car.

AnswerID: 401762

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:13

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:13
Paul,
Agree with the above plus:

Check around the CVs at the front especially if the suspension has been raised. Look for splitting of the rubber or oil/grease leak

The model you are looking at is permanent 4wd and has a centre diff lock. As standard this locks when put in low range but also has a push button on the console. Check that the dashboard light comes on when activated. The light indicates that the centre dif has locked. Units that are not used much or if they have been in water can have a problem. It is expensive to fix as the servo unit is on top of the transfer case and has to be removed.

Check that the fuel gauges work on both tanks.

If you are not comfortable with your own judgement then take it to an experienced 4wd mechanic for a check over before buying if it passes your initial inspection.

Ours has been a good vehicle and is a pleasure to drive after having been in the troopy on a long trip.

cheers
alastair
AnswerID: 401857

Reply By: The grizwaulds - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:18

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:18
Thank you to all for your valuable advice.
AnswerID: 402287

Sponsored Links