Hema Navigator 5 - Initial Feedback

I just got my new HN5 today. Hema (responding with excellent service) replaced by old navigator with the new one no questions asked when my old one failed with a known issue.

The new unit is a huge improvement on the old model with a more robust feel and nice to have features.

I've charged it but haven't set it up in the truck yet. And will need to transfer all my data of the SD card in the old one to the 4gb Micro SD in the new one.

So far couldn't be happier and I think the unit is better than I expected it to be.

Nice job Hema!

.... And no I didn't get paid to say that. Just think credit where credit is due.

And waddaya know the EO Shop has them in stock too.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 18:26

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 18:26
I think Sandman has done a first impressions Blog on it as well.

I am still saving my $$ to get one LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401659

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:21

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:21
$799.00 for RACV Members!

FollowupID: 671132

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:25

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:25
Still need to save the $$ though ;)

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671133

Reply By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 21:18

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 21:18
Hi Gaz,
Were you dealing with Hema directly? I had to purchase mine through Olbis in Bne because Hema would not sell directly. Can you tell me what the known issue was as I purchased one of the early ones in June of 2007.
Thanks.
Jon W
AnswerID: 401687

Follow Up By: Member - OzGazza (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:29

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:29
I did deal with Hema directly but only because it was a warranty claim. Originally I bgt it from ARB
FollowupID: 671220

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 06:21

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 06:21
I second that, i purchased one of the older models at the reduced price last year, so would be keen to know what the known issue was. Cheers.
AnswerID: 401701

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 07:52

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 07:52
Have a read of this archived thread ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671075

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 08:00

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 08:00
Cheers Kev, i have had some of the issues related in that forum, flickering screen on low battery, short battery life, as well as regularly having to reset the device as it wont load Route 66 displaying a load file error. I guess i am one of those people that simply puts up with things knowing nothing is perfect. The functionality of the device is fantastic and the little problems i have experienced haven't degraded that as you can work around them, keep it on charge in the car, press reset if necessary etc. Maybe im just to soft lol.
FollowupID: 671076

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 08:08

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 08:08
Maybe contact Hema through that thread??

They are a Business member and I reckon they would be MAD not to assist.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671077

Follow Up By: Hema Maps Pty Ltd - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 00:04

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 00:04
TonBon

The best thing to do is contact our support team on 07 3340 0000. They will be able to sort out any problems you may have.

Cheers

Greg L
FollowupID: 671641

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:27

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:27
Hi Guys

My new Hema 5 works well (quick to start up and navigate) but I have a few issues.

1) The maps are outdated and when you are on a new road the R66 makes you 'fly' around the screen. The new Gateway Motorway in Brisbane is especially a problem and as this is the airport motorway it show be 100% uptodate. My wifes Tom Tom is already showing all these new roads.

2) It makes a horrid collision noise on motorways that I can't seem to switch off. (Any idea's how ?)

3) I found the memory map better to use than the OziExplorer maps, can this map be accessed via OziExplorer ?

At this stage my old set up was better, I used the Tom Tom and the Magellan Explorist XL.

I hope the maps are updated soon.

Does anyone know if I can load the Tom Tom program and delete Route 66 ?

Regards

Derek
AnswerID: 401803

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:35

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:35
Derek, when you say that Memory Map is better to use but ask if the map can be accessed by OziExplorer. You are obviously saying the map is better rather than the program I believe, but I could be wrong. There is a vast range of maps equal to or better than the ones on MM normal supply. You are tied to buying Hema for Memory Map.

Memory Map maps are a proprietary map designation and are NOT transportable in my experience last year. On that basis I would much rather use maps that are easily available. Hence I have a licence to MM that is no use to me. I have better map access by using OziExplorer on the laptop and also the VMS.

There are few options even with an enhanced program against what you can do with OziExplorer. Totally redesign the pages if you wish to with Screen Designer.

My VMS uses NavNGo, iGo8 which I think is much better than Route 66
FollowupID: 671222

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:55

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:55
Thanks, I will do a search and see if I can load another program and more detailed maps into Ozi.

Regards

Derek
FollowupID: 671270

Follow Up By: Hema Maps Pty Ltd - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 23:54

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 23:54
In answer to your questions.....

1. Updating maps on R66 - yes this is an acknowledged issue - and some thing that does frustrate us all at Hema because we have no control over the update process. As a background R66 obtains street level data from Navteq. Navteq update the data 2 - 4 times a year. Once an update is received then R66 produce a new data set. This updated dataset can be purchased from R66 via the R66sync application (on the CD in the Hema Navigator box). Thus the updated data can take up to 12 months to appear :-( Hopefully you have registered your device at www.hemavigator.com.au so we can let you know when an update has been made.

2. I have not seen (heard) this before? What application is open when you hear this?

3. We included both OziExplorer and Memory Map on the Hema Navigator so users could access the largest range of 4WD and topographical mapping in Australia. Many users do find Memory Map simpler to use. John is correct in stating that you can not open a Memory Map file in OziExplorer (or vice versa). That is why we have include the same maps in both Oziexplorer and Memory Map formats on the Hema Navigator (all the Hema maps plus the Geoscience 1:250k).

4. Unfortunately it is not possible to uninstall R66 and install another application.

5. There are many options for installing higher resolutions maps. I would start right hear at ExploreOz - Digital Mapping - where there is a wide range of products that are suitable for OziExplorer and/or Memory Map.

I hope the helps!

Best regards,

Greg L

FollowupID: 671638

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:38

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:38
Hi Greg

1) Yes I registered the product 10 days ago but have not yet been emailed my user name or password, I emailed suport and was given a reference but also no reply from them yet. I have done the sync but no updates show yet.

2) In R66, it is a sound like screeching tyres and then a bang (just like an accident) that happens when you merge with another major road, it also happens when you are on a road that has changed slightly (IE: a curve in the road) it then makes the crash bang noise as you pass the old road. I would just like to know how to switch it off as I can't find 'sounds / noises in the menus).

3) Yes I can access the maps in both programs, I was just after more detail, perhaps 1:125k as my last trip to Mt Mee only shows the main roads, no tracks.

4) OK. ;-(
4a) Can I add another program ? (Have 4 programs running ?)

5) Thanks, I would like an easy way to do this and also have a preview before I buy, perhaps a web-page would be good.

Thanks

Derek. derek@sidewinder.com.au
FollowupID: 671670

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:49

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:49
Derek, state by state, I have found good maps particularly for Victoria and South Australia for OziExplorer and OziCE programs, not quite so good for NSW but pretty good just the same.

Queensland, sadly, lags behind it's Eastern state counterparts in map availability. It is really just regional to some regions, just like NT and WA, which in my mind is reasonable for their state of development. Greg of course may provide other knowledge of that he can share.
FollowupID: 671672

Follow Up By: Hema Maps Pty Ltd - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:08

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:08
I have not a sound like screeching tyres (from the Navigator that is!). I think this may be one for the tech support team. It may be better to call them direct on 07 3340 0000.

The QLD EPA did produce a great topographical map (1:50k I think) of Mt Mee but then restricted its distrubition to QLD Govt. employees only. You can see a copy at the Brisbane Forest Park Visitors Centre. The only other option is the Sunmap Raster at 1:25k. Like other posters have mentioned the quality of the product leaves a lot to be desired in that it is very out of date.

The Hema Navigator is designed to run one application at a time.

World Wide Maps in the city have a range of digital products that you can demo. For Memory Map products you can go to www.memory-map.com.au and I belive that you may even be able to download a demo. For the Sunmap rasters you can go to Sunmap.

Greg L
FollowupID: 671872

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:35

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:35
FollowupID: 671921

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:55

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:55
Good to hear you have got yours.

I have an older model loan unit from Hema until they send me a new one (was to be late January so hopefully will be soon). The loan unit has worked satisfactorily to date.

Unfortunately when my original unit died I lost all my desert waypoints and data. Learnt from that to keep a written record of the important coordinates.

Looking forward to playing around with the new gadget. Hope to check out the facility for connecting a reversing camera.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 401814

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 20:41

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 20:41
Hema have come good and delivered the new 5 inch model. Picked it up this evening.

At a quick look Route 66 has been updated to a later version and a few things are different. Ozi Explorer looks much the same and works much the same as in the earlier model.

The unit is not physically much bigger than the old model. Fits in a bigger screen without much increase in unit size.

It is a better looking unit than the old.

FollowupID: 672174

Reply By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:48

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:48
slightly off-topic question...

if you're running street navigation (R66) does Ozi still log your co-ords (track)?
AnswerID: 402236

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:13

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:13
"The Hema Navigator is designed to run one application at a time. "

thanks 'HEMA' for this... pity about it though, keeping tracks of journeys is one of the fundamental attractions of Ozi and breaking them to do a bit of route navigation wouldn't work for me.
FollowupID: 672261

Sponsored Links