Air tank to clean air filters

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:44
ThreadID: 75613 Views:3925 Replies:14 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

We are mid way through the planning of this year’s trip, which depending on seasonal conditions, may see us driving through a bit of bull dust if some sections of land are open to us.

I currently have a Big Red air compressor which is bolted underneath the bed extension. I’m looking at installing an air tank to provide enough pressure to clean the air filters on two vehicles daily.

From what I’ve seen so far, TJM have air tanks, but I want to be sure I get the capacity right.

Any thoughts from people who are running air tanks fitted to compressors would be appreciated.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:51

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:51
Kim, these people are easy to deal with and are the cheapest I could find on eBay. No affiliation etc.

Air tank on eBay
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401766

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:53

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:53
Kim, oops, just found another cheaper, lol.

oops
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401767

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:10

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:10
Gidday John

Thanks for your help mate, but I'm more interested in the required capacity.

Sometimes the air filters in cars take a lot of air to clean them out after heavy bull dust, hense the question of the tank capacity.

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 671198

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:05

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:05
Hi Kim,

I note a response re supplier already posted and that may well answer your question, however I also suggest, as consideration only, why the thought to clean the filter element daily.
I understand the remote area and bulldust issue, and that certainly will lead to additional fine dust in the intake system.
My view is to leave the air filter and most components untouched wherever possible while in the bush. The more frequently the air filter assembly is disturbed for cleaning the greater potential for accidental dust ingress and damage to seals and hoses that may need some relocation or tension while removing and refitting the element, therefore you potentially increase the risk of damage to the engine by 'over' servicing.
Just because you will blow dust off the element each day doesn't mean it is clogged or requires attention. Remember that as a filter works through its' service life it actually becomes more efficient as a dust filter, and yes, will gradually increase restriction as it continues to do its' job, and only at the end of its service life (open to another discussion) will it be a cause for concern.
Just a thought for your consideration, for me though, I would only be opening up a sealed clean air system if absolutely necessary, and can't see that being a daily occurance.

Good luck, and have a great trip.

Rgds,
Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401771

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:43

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:43
I agree 100 %

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 671334

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:19

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:19
Kim, pays to read the post correctly............ Personally, I have a three litre tank. Have a great trip. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401775

Reply By: oldpop - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:40

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:40
Kim

Most late model 4x4 have a filter warning system fitted why not take a spare filter
and change when required if running a snorkel use a pre cleaner

Regards

Oldpop
AnswerID: 401779

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:16

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:16
By golly

It's becoming difficult to post a simple question. here it is again:

'Any thoughts from people who are running air tanks fitted to compressors would be appreciated'.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 401786

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:33

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:33
My air tank is my 2 spares wheel/tyres. Pump them up to 80 odd psi and theres plenty of air to blow out my filter when I have to.

Make yourself a short air hose with the required fittings and a small air nozzle.
AnswerID: 401789

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:49

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:49
Andrew

That's a good reminder. The mate has two spares on the back of a Telstra tub we could use.

Many thanks

Kim
FollowupID: 671207

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:14

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:14
hi andrew l
i actually made up an air control and guage using an old oxy guage it already has the pressure control incorporated just made up the fittings that screw onto the tyre valve with an air nozzle on a suitable length of hose and you can then regulate the air pressure with oxy guage control valve and the air lasts a lot longer
(the screw on valve fitting came off an old hand pump that i no longer have any ambition to use)

i also use it on a 6 ltr sprayer container to have showers and regulate the presser down to just 4 psi it works a treat and the water comes out at a steady rate through a small shower head ----- perfecta !!!!!!!
FollowupID: 671212

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:08

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:08
Kim, I have my Big Red Compressor mounted inside the spare wheel bracket and the outlet hose screws onto the spare wheels schrader valve. A Ryco chuck is mounted inside the aerial bracket and simply swings up to allow the hose to attach easily. The system cut off at 60PSI and cuts in as soon as any air is used so as to make it as efficient as possible. A 100 litre air tank taking up no extra room. The whole concept works a treat.. MichaelImage Could Not Be Found
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401798

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 07:48

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 07:48
G'day, just out of curiosity, where do you fit the 100 lt air tank so it takes up no extra room?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 671261

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:07

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:07
Gday John, I probably didnt make the point very clear buy i use the spare as the tank. If the spare is damaged and cant be inflated, i have a small ball valve that i can close so i can just use the air produced by the Compressor, still via the ryco chuck, therefore still usuin my normal air hose... regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 671275

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:09

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:09
Should read "using"" Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 671276

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:14

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:14
I have an 'expired' 4.5kg LPG cylinder (modified to suit the purpose) mounted on the c/t A-frame.. capacity approx. 9L... It's what I had handy at the time;-)

Not permanently plumbed, but takes no time at all to attach feed & delivery hoses via quick-connects..

On stored pressure, it is adequate for dusting-off (around door openings) prior to setting up after prolonged driving in dusty conditions...

For serious tyre inflation (and /or filter element cleaning), I connect the compressor (Max-Air) to the tank, and it does the job quite satisfactorily IMO... (YMMV)

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401799

Reply By: Member - mick C (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:23

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:23
Air tank capacity is great , in the past my storage area has been in the bullbar between the chassis rails [ about 20 litres ] and permanently plumbed due to air lockers . My only other suggetion is to never clean out a single filter element , in the machinery job most have two elements and you only ever clean the outer element and thow the inner away , due to the contamination issue when trying to clean element .Snorkels , pre cleaners , new elements and room between vehicles are elementary .and are cheaper than an engine rebuild . I live and work in dusty areas and have learnt by experience

Regards Mick
Poppa Bear

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401819

Reply By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:24

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:24
Hi Kim
I have a 5 gal tank mounted under tray and a air jet fitting tapped in line between ARB compressor (under bonnet) and the tank. I find once the tank is filled in 2/3 minutes, the tank / compressor capacity provides ample continuous use for your intended purpose. The air jet is permanently connected and sits under my drivers seat. It has many uses and I find it one of the best accessoriess I have fitted. The air jet was sourced from Hy Way Truck Accessories in Rocklea here in Brisbane (usual disclaimer).

Regards Greg.
AnswerID: 401860

Follow Up By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:18

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:18
Oops - 3 gal tank according to paperwork. Still great!
FollowupID: 671327

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:33

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:33
I use a 9L water fire extinguisher as a tank in conjunction with a 3.5 cfm compressor set to 90 psi cut off. This gives enough volume for reseating beads & short blasts of air for cleaning. A 5L tank may be a better match for a smaller capacity compressor like yours. To avoid adding unnecesary weight on the car you could use the bull bar tube as a tank or make up a hose for your spare tyre.
If it's just dust that's the issue rather than daily cleaning possibly a snorkel with Donaldson style dust cap would be appropiate.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 401873

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:28

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:28
Kim, about 6 months ago my shed compressor died (after a life of around 18 years). I used the 25 litre tank off it to make-up an on-board receiver tank, coupled to my Grand Boss compressor. It's plumbed up to my quad air horns on the roof, to the Air Locker and has a snap-on Ryco fitting at the back of the Patrol where I can fit a hose that reaches all 6 tyres (Patrol + camper trailer) and I also carry a blow-gun for the purpose you describe.

Works well, but not many people have the space for a 25 litre tank....another benefit of having the Patrol dual cab and canopy.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 401924

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 16:25

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 16:25
Thanks everyone for your helpfull replies.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 401933

Sponsored Links