Shuttle Chef

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:49
ThreadID: 75624 Views:4234 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G-day anyone out there have or know someone that uses a shuttle chef just wondering what they are like. Do the just keep food hot or do they slowly cook as well , if they do cook it must be a long process .Any info would be great cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 00:37

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 00:37
Hi Duane

We researched them after our next door neighbours in the CP at Kununurra used one and reckoned it was great. Our neighbours were working for the season, and got home from work to have slow cooking meals such as corned beef ready.

There were those that loved them, and those that thought they weren't worth the time thinking about preparing the evening meal before leaving in the morning as yes, it is a long process. Of the 'no' people, some said it was easier to take a pressure cooker and use that when stopping without the need for preparation in the morning. I agree; both are bulky, but my family used a pressure cooker in a small motor home when touring Europe years ago and it was great for getting a family meal ready in a short time.

We decided that the Thermos product was better quality than the Shuttle Chef. There are also cheaper similar cookers available. All the same, it is quite large to add to our already crowded kitchen cupboard, so we didn't, and probably wouldn't have used it much anyway. I can cook meals that are quick and easy when we stop, and do things like corned beef on days we stop early.

Others will tell you how they used theirs, but basically, it is a big Thermos. You start the food cooking then it slow cooks for the rest of the day at a temperature below boiling as maintained by the insulation. As it has been boiled for the specified time at the start, there should be no bacteria to build up in what would otherwise be an ideal heat for nasties - this was my biggest concern. Some people always bring the food back to the boil for a few minutes before serving to make sure.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401843

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 03:46

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 03:46
Motherhen thanks for your reply they really are a up in the air item
i guess if you cook your food the night before as you said and used the sh/chef to keep it hot they would be alright but for cooking they just sound a bit dodgy. Anyway thanks for that you surely do make your way around the forum i see your replies on a alot of different posts , good on ya and safe travells regards Duane.
FollowupID: 671249

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:24

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:24
Hi MH,

The shuttle chef is made by Thermos.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 671348

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:27

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:27
Dream Pot is another that comes to mind.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671349

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 16:58

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 16:58
Hi Wilko and Kev

OOPS. It was indeed the Dream Pot our neighbours had.

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671359

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:25

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:25
Had ours (a shuttle chef) for 5 years and use all the time. Some time in the morning we stick everything in, bring it to the boil and into the thermos. We find we can wander out to happy hour and know dinner is ready when ever we come home. Looking and talking to other with similar units it appears that the shuttle chef will stay hot longer and has much better quality pots. You get what you pay for

Neil
AnswerID: 401872

Reply By: Wilko - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:01

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:01
Have had mine for 3 years now and I love it. They slowly cook and it can take 4 to 8 hours to cook. I heat it up in the morning and it cooks itself thru the day.

We have a Cobb as well. What we do is use the heat beads to heat the shuttle chef (1/2 hour or so) Then put them in the Cobb.

We then have a Roast or similar for lunch and something for tea.

One tip is to use the toughest meat (cheapest) you can get as it will literally fall off the one once its cooked.

Cheers Wilko

AnswerID: 401920

Reply By: Bezza - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 16:08

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 16:08
I have a Shuttle Chef and find it very good. We use it to slow cook a pot roast or tuff cut of meat or silverside (aways melt in your mouth!) on days when we will do a lot of traveling and arrive late. I also use it to cook beans when we are out of meat. It keeps temperature very well. The pots can be used on the gas stove so you don't need to carry extra pots.

I also put boiling water in it for hot water in the morning if we want a quick start getaway.

When we are not travelling I use it to make yoghurt.
AnswerID: 401929

Reply By: john&thejayco - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 18:53

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 18:53
Hi,
we have had our shuttle chef for a while now and use it quite a bit ,it's great for cooking rice,boil it for a short while, lock it up and come tea time it is done to perfection. i cooked a chook in it once,i think it was a recipe from the book that comes with it (soy chicken) it only boiled on the stove for a few minutes, locked away for a few hours and the chicken dropped off the bone,Fantastic. The pots are very good quality so they can replace other pots in the cooking gear ,just for general use, so it doesn't mean just more things to cart.BUT ,i'm blowed if i know what i'm doing wrong but i cannot cook a cake in it, i've followed the recipes but my cakes always end up soft and not quite cooked. I hate being beaten by a couple of pots in a thermos, the cake they cook on the dvd you get with it looks pretty good to me, not like mine.Hope this helps .
AnswerID: 401952

Reply By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 20:15

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 20:15
Thanks everyone for your imput ill give the sh/chef a go . i guess it will be trial and error . cheers and safe travells .
AnswerID: 401959

Sponsored Links