Which camping giude for WA?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:09
ThreadID: 75632 Views:2881 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was just looking at books on the internet and I was wondering if anyone had read either or both of these -

Camping Atlas of Western Australia (blue cover)

and

Camping Guide to Western Australia (cream cover with photo of a beach camp)

If they are roughly the same, I will just buy one - or does one have better info?

Cheers

Bomber
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:07

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:07
Why not go for Camps Aust Wide,

That way you get the whole of Aus and very comprehensive.

You can also get web updates.
AnswerID: 401884

Reply By: stumbly1 - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:31

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:31
g'day bomber,

I agree with the above - camps 5 is a top notch bit of kit.

For WA only have you had a look at Jan Hollands books? they are very good including mud maps, sold at most camping stores - BCF, Rangers etc.

Cheers, stumbly
AnswerID: 401890

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:33

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:33
Hi Stumbly - you posted while i was typing. Jan's books are also available here at ExplorOz. They are so good. Several times we said "thanks Jan" when in a reasonably quite but obscure spot a bit of the highway, and many times when following her notes with such useful advice about walks and places to see. Very comprehensive directions to find camp sites as well.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 671332

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:30

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 13:30
Hi Bomber

For WA (and NT) the very best is the Jan Holland Priceless Campsites and Rest Areas set. I got mine from the ExplorOz shop. They are far more comprehensive than Camps 5, but better still have more useful tourism information than all the brochures. I found them invaluable as a tour guide in general. They are a few years old, but not much has changed. Only once did we get to a place selected to find a No Camping sign. It must have been a recent change, as it was also listed for free camping in the current tourist brochure for the area, but on checking, Camps 5 didn't have it.

We were somewhat lost without Jan when we got to Queensland.

For the rest of Australia, Camps Australia Wide (current version # 5) is known as the best overall.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 401903

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 14:39

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 14:39
Yes I agree MH.

We bought the 2 Priceless campsites of WA books when we were travelling there last year and also carry a copy of Camps 5 and used both depending on where we were. They were both very useful, and the Camps 5 (and before it Camps 4 and 3) has been our most used reference book/atlas on all of our trips in the last 5 years.

Cheers Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671341

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:18

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:18
I'm with the others on Jan Holland.
We travelled WA for over 12months and found these books even better than Camps Australia wide.
For WA (and NT) the very best is the Jan Holland Priceless Campsites and Rest Areas set.
They Give lats and longs as well as a general guide to the location and if you need a 4wd to get in and out.
They are a blessing for those of us that independently camp.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401923

Sponsored Links