Permits for the CSR

Submitted: Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:01
ThreadID: 75675 Views:3047 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Yes I watched the Pat Callanan episode on the week end covering the CSR.

I'll stick my neck out here and ask, do you need a permit to tow a CT for part of, or all of the CSR, I don't recall Pat mentioning that you did, I was always led to believe that you did require a permit.

Regards

Barry H
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:11

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:11
Barry,

Have you read the information in the Treks section:

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WDeserts/Canning_Stock_Route.aspx

Andrew
AnswerID: 402126

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:48

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:48
Andrew

Yes and No. What ExplorOz says is partly true but not quite.

There is no permit requirement for the CSR as it is a Public Stock Route provided that you do not deviate from it to access places such as Durba Springs etc. You may camp off the CSR up to a distance of some metres(can't remember now).

Permits from Billiluna are just talk as of 2009. Permits for camping at Lake Gregorty we given to us for free ...we did spend $2000 buying fuel at the shop though :-)

The Permit Control through the Western Deserts Corporation allows access to a number of places. Its no big deal though. :-)

Cheers

FollowupID: 671579

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 19:17

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 19:17
Thanks for that Willem, all good information.

Andrew
FollowupID: 671590

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:12

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:12
Willem

I was told there was a 5km wide path, following the CSR, the entire distance..

So that may ( ? ) take in Durba Springs, (dunno if Durba Springs falls into that one)

I could be wrong on that, but one thing is for sure, you do not need a permit to traverse the Canning, but it helps to get to other sites if you have one, as they ask for your Canning permit, to get into the Calvert Ranges.

Cheers Mate
Bucky

FollowupID: 671729

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 17:33

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 17:33
Hi Bucky and Willem

Yes the CSR is a 5 Km wide gazetted route most of the way (its around 2kms at the northern end).

The problem is the vehicle track does not always follow the gazetted route. It meanders around, a result of early vehicle travellers looking for easier crossings over the dunes. Therefore much of the time you are not travelling within the 5 km band.

By the way Durba was not an official CSR well. because it on the NE side of the range addling significant kms to the drovers route.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 671778

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 18:43

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 18:43
Hi Phil

It's a bit like when we were kids and spoiling for a fight by marking a line in the sand....."Step over that and I'll snot ya"......LOL. So where to define the CSR? Does it really matter in the long run. Nobody owns the land......the land spawns us, owns us and reclaims us !!!

Peronally, I have gone off begging for permits anywhere, whether it be on Aboriginal Land or BHP Land. If I go missing for a while yer'll know where I will be cooling my heels...:-)

Cheers

FollowupID: 671792

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:52

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:52
Hi Barry
Permits are required for the Canning and you apply from the Australian Four Wheel Drive Council for sections Well 5 through to Well 40.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 402134

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 19:12

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 19:12
Thanks Stephen,

I thought that was the case, but if so I wonder what route he took to get to well 5, because that is where he started from, he did mention the fact that the CSR tracked started from Wiluna, but never mentioned how he got to well 5 towing the trailer.

No big deal, just curious that's all.

Barry H
FollowupID: 671588

Follow Up By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 19:15

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 19:15
Barry,

When towing trailers you can access the Canning at either Well 5 via Granite Peaks station or via Well 9 and Glenayle Station.

Viv
FollowupID: 671589

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 20:01

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 20:01
Barry

Trailers of any description are not permitted from W1 to W5. A decision by the pastoralist.
At this stage trailers of any description are not banned on any part of the CSR from W5 onwards.

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 671599

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:51

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:51
Hi Stephen

What youi say isn't quite correct, although there is some thruth in it :-)

Read the thread above

Cheers

FollowupID: 671759

Reply By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:47

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:47
Hi Barry.
I saw a bit of the Pat Callinan show. Our reception of channel 10 in summer is very bad. I told several friends who wanted to see the Canning but couldn't drive it, to watch it. I wish I hadn't. O.K. Don't bite my head off!
I thought that too much emphasis was put on advertising and not the actual stock route. He only showed a very little of the Stock Route itself and not how he got to the wells.
Now people believe it's O.K. to take a trailer. He doesn't show the inconvenience involved with towing a trailer.
I don't think that the wife and kids all done up in Akubra hats and R.M. Williams boots etc was really necessary. O.K. yes they had to advertise their sponsors but I felt that bit was overdone.
I couldn't hear what was being said all the time but maybe he did speak of the inconvenience of taking a trailer of any kind.
Some of the sand dunes are not for the inexperienced and a trailer as well will make it harder.O.K. He had 2 vehicles to help him he may show the difficulties that he has with these dunes next week?
Coming down from the top to the bottom is easier for getting over the dunes. We went from bottom to top and were very glad not to be towing.
I felt that he's made it look a bit too easy and will encourage inexperienced people to go out there and get into trouble. Maybe next week will be much better? Tackling the Canning can even bring the experienced undone if something unforeseen happens.
We don't like Tag along tours for many reasons, one is that they have a deadline and most of them fly... no time to see the trip for what it is. I think you should buy the tape or DVD. from E.O. by Lifestyle videos. A must for anyone thinking of taking a trailer in my mind.
Safe travels,Take care.
Bye, Sally.
AnswerID: 402235

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:03

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:03
Sally

Please take a look at threads below and there is some video too..
ThreadID: 75237..then you can make up your own mind. (video)
ThreadID: 72655..
ThreadID: 71971

The Canning is not that hard.... true its more of an endurance trip, and if you treat it like that then things will work well for you.

All you have to do is "do your homework", on economy/fuel, spares,....not to forget the tyre pressures too, and most importantly do not rush.
With regards to Pat Callinhan, I cant remember if they all towed campers, but there was certainly more than his Cub Camper there. But he knows about tyre pressures, and I am sure, like us, he too would have had no trouble, except that delivered from complacency, in getting over the dunes.

Cheers Bucky

FollowupID: 671935

Reply By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:50

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:50
Yes Bucky, I know, We travelled the C.S.R. from South to North on our own with no trailer.We had no trouble but one dune section was like being in a bowl.
There was a broken down vehicle just off the track in the bottom of this bowl.
I wasn't going to reply to this question in the first place but then I thought that suggesting to have a look at this video might be of some use..
I did suggest that all intending to travel with a trailer should watch the video I mentioned.
This video goes into all the tyre pressure points etc.
No the C.S.R. isn't hard if you're well prepared. Sometimes even the best preparation doesn't help when something un forseen occurs.
On our trip, we encountered 2 groups at different times. Their original groups had gotten into fights because of the on towing the trailer . Good friendships ruined for ever.
You can travel the Canning without a trailer,we just think it's easier.Pat
Callinan was towing a brand new T.Van I think.
Whatever the trailer being towed, it adds to the expense of having to get it as well as the vehicle out of there should the unforeseen occur.
Bye Sally.
AnswerID: 402452

Sponsored Links