Balfour track, Tasmania

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:25
ThreadID: 75707 Views:8261 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone who has done this track recently from the Tarkine Wilderness through to Balfour, Pieman River and Corinna please comment. We have recently purchased a Wombat slide-on camper for our Nissan Patrol Common Rail 3 lt turbo diesel and are wondering if we would make it through this track. We have front diff lokka with 2" lift, BFG AT tyres. Camper weighs about 1 tonne.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Volvo driver - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:23

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:23
haven't done it
but www.parks.tas.gov.au or www.forestytas.com.au would probably be able to answer your question
AnswerID: 402289

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:36

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:36
The sign at the eastern end says:-

Vehicles MUST travel in convoy.
Vehicles MUST have a winch.

We didn't do it as no winch on board. Also looked like a lot of water on the track..
AnswerID: 402291

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 18:08

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 18:08
The sign actually say snorkles and winches required , travell in convey
Have done this in a GU and slideon myself and the track can be quite boggy One bog hole is about 70 meters long and the water is about bonnet deep. Don't try to go around the bog holes as the button grass can be worse. The boggy holes have a firm bottom. No problems for your vehicle but not a track I would do on my own.

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 671784

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 16:02

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 16:02
Alex V,
Hi yu,
There is a 4wd book that i'm sure you can purchase on the Spirit called 4wd Tracks in Tasmania by Chris Boden and it contains ALL the Off Road Tracks in Tassie.
It contains the Balfour Track and states that vehicles should be in convoy and be equipped with recovery, tarpaulins etc cause you may come across water hazards.
Enjoy the trip and Tassie.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 402301

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 20:19

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 20:19

Alex the Balfour Track has some heavily eroded sections with steep side angles, low narrow coastal scrub & several long deep bog holes. Your chances of making it could well depend on recent rain & how much mud there is. Winches aren't that useful as there is very little to attach to. Travelling in company is the best option. In the above photo we took 4 goes to get through being snatched out backwards to try again as there was nothing to winch off in front.
The track is not always that difficult but could change with a heavy downpour. A large heavy camper like yours would not help in these conditions but if you are familiar with this type of driving will be more than possible.
Cheers Craig...................
AnswerID: 402347

Follow Up By: Member - Alex V (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 19:16

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 19:16
Craig - Many thanks for your comments re the Balfour track. Can you tell me exactly which section of the track has the eroded sections and 70m bog? Doesn't look like the type of track we would consider with a brand new camper on board - the handbrake would have a meltdown! Cheers Alex
FollowupID: 672155

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 14:16

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 14:16
Alex when heading south from Temma the track winds it's way through the low coastal scrub starting to deteriorate from around Man's Creek south to the turn off. Continuing on down towards Sandy Cape from memory the track isn't too bad to Brookes Creek but the beaches past that can be very trecherous.
From the Balfour turn off the track is immediately eroded in places with a few minor bogs & side angles. We have done it twice in Feb (Dryest month), the 1st being wet as per the photo & the 2nd time we drove through without issue. Staying on the main track even if it has the deepest water is important as trying to drive around bogholes will only get you into bottomless black goo. I think the real mud started about 3 or 4 KM's along near the Dawson River. There is one side track that heads south to the summit of Mt Balfour & it has a couple of "very challenging" bogs including some on the ridge climb but what a view. It returns to the Western Explorer route just south of the Balfour turnoff.
A note on the 1:250,000 Tassie map sums it up. "Impassible in wet conditions".
The problem is on the west coast it can rain every 2nd day in the dryest month :-)
Cheers Craig.................
FollowupID: 672322

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:14

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:14
What a change in the track over the past 8 years since I travelled it.

Had a look at it last year but went around then into Balfour from the Corinna Arther River road. The rest of the road down to the Pieman is fine with some great views.

Nice camp on the river at Corinna
AnswerID: 402368

Sponsored Links