Mitchell Plateau Feedback

We are planning a trip to the Mitchell Plateau early in June 2010, we are taking a off road trailer wit a aluminium boat for fishing, does anybody have any good suggestions for a good spot to fish at the plateau.
Steve T
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 17:37

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 17:37
Unless there is a place to launch a boat to sea near Crystal Head, I do not think there is anywhere to use a boat, certainly on the way to or at Mitchell Falls. ther eis a track that leads to the sea near Crystal head nad I understand from someone who did it that the road after Mitchell Falls to Surveyors Pool is quite a bit better.

The track to Mitchell falls is one of the worst corrugated in Australia and maybe the world. I would not take a tinnie on a trailer there as the corrugations would damage the tinnie unless you really have cushioning and tying down to a fine art., and AFAIK there is nowhere to use it.

I left my off road camper st King Edward River campground for the trip in and was glad I did. There is a 100 mtre long pool there that you could run up and down I suppose.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 402315

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 18:04

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 18:04
But the campers at KE River would hate him if he did Philip. A lovely pool to camp by and swim in - my favourite camp of the Kimberley. Like you, we left our caravan at the camp and drove to the Falls car park.

Steve, you could head for Kalumburu - campgrounds on the beach at McGowans island and Honeymoon Bay. Boat launching and good fishing.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 671782

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:33

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:33
I agree with MH that fishing is well worthwhile at Kalumburu. It seems that fishing is on your agenda and Kalumburu is in relative terms not much further. So if you have the time available have a go at this,

Image Could Not Be Found

This was at McGowans

Kind regards
FollowupID: 671943

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 15:07

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 15:07
The fish we caught at Kalumburu (we stayed at McGowans) were the best i have ever tasted, and left the Barra and other fish from the Pentecost as second rate.

Bear in mind that the entire Kalumburu area has a policy that you can only keep what you can eat whilst staying there, so the best fish go back to breed and keep the fishing good for everyone. It is great fun even if they have to go back after you have caught a few good feeds. I needed help to land a number of fish that were so big.

People who come to fill up a big freezer and take home are not welcomed.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 671945

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 18:12

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 18:12
Nowhere for boat fishing at Mitchell Plateau. Track from Surveyors Pool T/O on to Crystal Creek/Port Warrender not maintained. Leave boat at King Edward River, then take it on to Honeymoon and/or McGowans - good boat fishing there.
AnswerID: 402320

Reply By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 19:45

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 19:45
G-day mcgowan is a fantastic spot we were up there a couple of years ago.A tinnie is all you need we were travelling 1kh from the camp and catching 10 to 15 kg mullaway and you can head up the king edward river mouth great fishing up there barra blue salmon and in the bay there are mackies as well great spot i will be heading back there again for sure good luck and safe travells.
AnswerID: 402338

Follow Up By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:57

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:57
Hi All,

Mitchell Falls camp ground is a good camp and allows you to relax after visiting one of the most awe inspiring spots in the world, but the road in can be rough and a boat is pointless.King Edward River camp certainly a great spot.

Honey Moon Bay another great area certainly for fishing and the boat wont be out of the water. Take a couple of hundred feet of light rope so you can moor the boat off the beach (large tides). One of our favourite spots, Les and his family are real characters, they run the camp, but part of its charm is ... "it aint flash". While you are there ask arround there is plenty to see and do in the area. Min stay at least a week but three or four much better. If you get a chance take a boat ride out to Governor Islands (best if two boats min go as it is a fair distance). The reward "its magical".

We will be returning soon for the third time...

Regards

Mike.
FollowupID: 671844

Reply By: Barnesy - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 23:43

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 23:43
Like other have said don't bother trying to fish on the plateau, go to Kalumburu. It has everything you could ask for in a bush fishing trip.
AnswerID: 402395

Sponsored Links