The purpose of the weekly poll?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 22:20
ThreadID: 75808 Views:2471 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I was wondering what other members thought of the weekly polls, and their purpose.

I can understand that the current poll regarding which bumper sticker people prefer, would be useful for sales/marketing/promotions etc, but what of other topics?

Some months back, there was a poll asking forumites if they would prefer the spellcheck feature to launch automatically when a thread, reply or follow up in a thread was submitted. From memory, about 75% of respondents agreed that it would be good, but nothing happened. I know I have submitted replies etc without using spell check, and it is immediately published, so obviously nothing has changed.

Do the polls serve some purpose? Are the polls just for marketing research? Are they just a gimmick for amusement?

What do you think?

Cheers, Dave

P.S. Spellcheck used on this post! lol

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 00:59

Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 00:59
?????? I reckon it works well.
AnswerID: 402925

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 02:20

Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 02:20
I would guess they are to get a feeling for future product development and marketing research.

I always find the results interesting and you will find that David has probably added an automatic spell checker to his list of things to do, just be patient I guess.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 402927

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 08:06

Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 08:06
I agree with you John about a list of things to do.
A site like this is a work in progress, so to speak. You have an Idea of a new feature, ask the users what they think about that idea, then set about developing it. Can't see the point in spending a lot of time and resources on an idea, only to have no one what to use or like it.

FollowupID: 672467

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 16:22

Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 16:22
If David does implement auto spell checking i hope he will give us the ability to turn it off. Loading a reply is already too slow for me with so much on the site, and the built in spell check option is too slow to be used. If i spell check i use IESpell, but only when i need to, as even that is slow (only slow on this website). I just tried the built in option on this reply, and i cannot see the text to know which word is wrong - not very useful at all. EG it picked up the error "ot" - now what was incorrectly typed - to, it, on, not or what?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 402974

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 16:57

Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 16:57
Motherhen, I use Fire Fox and use it's spell checker. Hmm, which doesn't pick up the fact that I've had a few ales and I don't see the under lined spelling mistake.
I can understand your frustration.

FollowupID: 672510

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 23:30

Saturday, Feb 06, 2010 at 23:30
Automatic spell check would be a bit crazy, what with some of the abbreviations used.

It WILL however pick up one of my biggest irrtations.."ect" instead of 'etc'...

But the other pet hate: "brought" when people mean 'bought'

Sum thymes they're is ant a weigh two cheque awl spelling!
AnswerID: 403021

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 07:58

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 07:58
Hi Royce, Motherhen & Hairs,

I didn't mean to bring up the debate about spelling on this site again, just asking the question about the effectiveness or purpose of the polls.

If its just for marketing, or amusement, so be it.

I just feel it is misleading, when a change to a feature on the site is taken to a 'referendum', then forgotten about, or disregarded.

I understand that work on this, or any website is ongoing, I have seen a lot of changes in the relatively short time I have been a member, but a link from the submit button to the feature shouldn't be a big deal (forgive me if I am wrong, I did run my own music info website for some years, but I didn't have spell check on my forum).

Royce has pointed out a couple of pet hates, I have a few more, as I'm sure we all do, and the aggravation that the spell check feature causes Motherhen is a pain too, but as I said, this is not really the point I am trying to make, or get your thoughts on in this post.

Thanks for your comments, have a great Sunday

Dave

FollowupID: 672545

Sponsored Links