Air Beds or Stretchers

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 07:41
ThreadID: 75832 Views:9059 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Having trouble deciding what we will use on our East coast Tour. we will be using a tent
Basically we want comfort, ease of use and quick set up. I know that airbeds have come a long way since the old lilo days but so have stretchers. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 08:00

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 08:00
Hello
I use a self inflating mattress that's about 75ml thick and it's really comfortable. Rolls up into a bag so it's pretty painless to use, no compressors or pumps required, king size as well.
Mike
AnswerID: 403033

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 08:29

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 08:29
Humff
We've just gone from the self inflaters to mattresses. Never had the airbeds, but I would imagine our reasoning for the change would still apply. After nearly 10 years we have decided that it is just too b****y hard climbing up off the floor every time we get out of bed. Just try it at home. Lie on the floor in a comfortable sleeping position and then stand up. After a while it becomes a pain. If you're young and fit good luck to you. Our new stretchers are set up a lot quicker than you could pump up an airbed and they fold into a nice neat bundle. Could I suggest also that the airbed pump is going to put some drain on power stocks.

teege
AnswerID: 403036

Reply By: Von Helga - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 10:15

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 10:15
I have used both. Agree with the comment about getting of the floor.
When you try the stretchers in the shop feel for the frame through the canvas and look at the wideest one you can. Get a self inflating mattress and put it on top. The stretchers allow you to store stuff underneath and it gives you a greater living area in your tent. Plastic tubs on wheels are great for this, just make sure they fit when you are on the bed.
This set comes into its own in wet weather.
AnswerID: 403063

Reply By: OzTroopy - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:29

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:29
Im with Von Helga ...

In vehicle spacewasters that they are ... a stretcher ends up being a lot more comfortable - and being able to shove your gear underneath is also a good thing.

I prefer this style as I have seen too many of those multi leg, dodgy plastic joiners & sliders type beds and chairs abandoned & dumped at campsites and garbage tips .... Site Link
AnswerID: 403083

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 17:03

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 17:03
Stretcher for me, compared to air matress
Easy to put up and pack away and take up less room.
Elevation off the floor makes them easier to get into/out of.
Elevation can also be an excellent plan b if the weather gets REALLY wet and ,heaven forbid, the tent leaks, keeeping the bedding off the floor will be a major plus.
Stretcher's arn't likely to get a pin hole somewhere and go down in the middle of the night.
You can store stuff under a strecher.

I initally found my stretcher a little uncomfortable, mainly because it was different than my normal bed, so after a night or 2 I got used to it, but after 5 weeks away I found my bed at home uncomfortable.

I must admit however, I have never used a self inflating matress, so I can't comment on them.
Shane
AnswerID: 403123

Reply By: oz doc - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 17:34

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 17:34
Hi Humff- - We've pretty much got and used the lot- mattress in the camper, self inflating mattress in the tent, air bed and stretchers. Stretchers are as others have said- quick, easy and off the floor, only downside I found was they were noisy and only suited to sleeping on your own. Self inflating mattress was very comfy, very easy to set up,( a little more effort to roll up and pack away), quiet, and very good for sharing.The air bed is fine for the kids, quick to blow up and suck down,packs away small, but will only last until the first hole or until the pump breaks. cheers, doc.
AnswerID: 403125

Reply By: aimee - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 19:41

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 19:41
We always travel outback with air matresses, we are" well "into our 50's and find them to be really comfortable Yes, as you say they have come a long way. Stretchers are also good but take up a lot more room.
Happy travelling.
AnswerID: 404213

Reply By: scoots68 - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 16:53

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 16:53
My kids usually sleep on camp stretchers & say they're very comfortable, so much so that when I suggested we get self-inflating mattresses for the tent they said no. Having said that I've just had a night on a self inflating mattress, a thick version, and found it to be surprisingly comfy, much more so than a stretcher. Easy to put up, although you do need a while to allow it to inflate whereas stretchers take a bit of effort to get assembled.
AnswerID: 404326

Sponsored Links