caravan weight distribution ?

I have a custom built 30' tri axle van which weight about 3.5 ton, I tow this with a f250.

My problem is that the van sways with a bit of wind or passing trucks.

Tow ball weight is 290 kilos, I have a haynes and reece fully adjustable 1000 pound weight distribution hitch with a fully adjustable tow bar head.
Can anyone tell me - to hopefully get out of the swaying, is it better to have more weight at the front of the van ?, as I have airbags on the back of the f250 to lift it up if need be.

thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 15:36

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 15:36
Your ball weight is a little light, it is only 8.3%. The recommended 10% for Oz built vans was found to be suitable for vans up to 20', longer vans require a little more. If you have tool boxes and/or other things mounted either end you should be looking at 15% or more. The effect of having too much weight at any great distande from your axles is explained in Site Link

The Hayman Reese dual cam anti sway device (Site Link) may assist a little but it will be more effective if you can get your ball weight over 12%.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 403112

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:31

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:31
Sway can be caused by having too much weight at each end.

This is known to cause what could be described a horizontal pendulum action
In other words it causes it to sway.

The habits of people who buy a nicely balanced van and then proceed to put a genny on the a frame,. a great big tool box on the back and then fill it up and then hang an outboard beside it.

This then upsets the balance of the van and people wonder why.

Could also depend on how you put what furniture where.

A rear kitchen or washer and drier at the rear could cause problems

Was talking to a guy towing a 33ft triaxle at Ularu and asked him how it towed in a wind. He said "Like a block of flats"
Guess that answers the question.

Air bags only lift the load imposed on them, they do nothing to redistribute weight.

I have a 25ft and it doesnt sway hardly at all and passing trucks dont worry it to much either

AnswerID: 403137

Sponsored Links