Travelling music

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:23
ThreadID: 75857 Views:3064 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just uploading my cd collection into the laptop and was wondering what others listen to as you travel about. A number of my cds did not survive my last outing so my new radio outfit will now take a USB stick or I Pod so can download to these and my cds can stay at home.

Now don't get me wrong I love the sound of the outback and I'm not really into music while at camp, just some of the in between bits.

Currently my music is country through to led zeppelin.

Brian

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: charlie brown - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:38

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:38
hi brian
i only take usb sticks at 4 gig each which is a lot of music and a lot of variety from slim to ac dc even talking books
AnswerID: 403138

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:40

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:40
I have about 3000 songs of Country

Emmylou, Garth Brooks, Cash, Haggard, Bobby Bare, Ronstdat, Waylon, Willie,

George Jones, Tom T Hall, Crystal Gayle, Gram Parsons, Elvis, Hank Williams,

and quite a few others like Queen, Andrea Bocelli , Ivan Rebroff.

AnswerID: 403139

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:42

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:42
I have a USB stick in Darkie (I think it is 4 or 8 gig), just need to work out how to get it to have all the folders set to random now :(

In the work car I just bought a 4 gig mp3 player that slots into the acc point.

All music is COUNTRY as well LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403140

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:43

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:43
G'day Brian

How are ya?

I have 4Gig of music on an SD card playing through a MP3 player via FM radio

I have the whole gamut of music from Blues through to Classical :-)

Cheers

AnswerID: 403141

Follow Up By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:54

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:54
Hi Willem,

I am fine thanks would have liked to have caught up at St George I was all set to go, when, as it does %hit happens and I had no option but to pull out at the last moment (bugger). Mum also said for me to say hi, Mum is planning another driving outing not sure to where to as yet I may have to join mum as mum seems to add adventure on her adventures lol.

Have not been on much been busy building hopefully I can get out a bit later this year.

Brian
FollowupID: 672628

Reply By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:56

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:56
Hi Brian, my music is stored on cd and not the usb sticks that others seem to be using (must be old fashioned).
My music consists mainly of country music, old and new from George Jones, Johnny Cash, Alan Jackson & Dwight Yoakam to Slim, Lee Kernaghan and The McClymonts...love The McClymonts!!!
The balance is made up of 50's and 60's hits and very keen on Foster and Allen.

Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 403143

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 20:40

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 20:40
2 120 gig Ipod's is our choice of noise maker. stores all our music, back up for photos and got all the boys DVD's on one.
and ya just can't beat Johny Cash drivin through the outback! I won't bother mentioning any other bands as it's probably just noise to you oldies LOL.

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 403164

Reply By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 21:40

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 21:40
Brian,

I love my music and I've spent an inordinate amount of money and personal design/construction of my speakers at home. The sound is something that shows up poor quality recordings that I previously hadn't noticed.

However, on the road; well the acoustics of a car are shocking. I still like to listen to some music on a long haul, but these days go more for entertainment. I've tracked down every known episode of an old Radio Show, "Yes, What?" and this can keep me alert and entertained for hours.

I'm about to do some more investigation and get copies of the "Goon Show", the senational Pommy Radio Programme "Just a Minute" and Groucho's "You Bet Your Life". All stuff that was produced in a bygone, pre TV era when the spoken word had to create images in the brain.

Mind you, I still love listening to my personal favourite band (and the second greatest of all time) Led Zeppelin.

Jim.

AnswerID: 403172

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 22:10

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 22:10
Hi Jim,

There's episodes of "You Bet Your Life" at this link:

You Bet Your Life Download

There's other audio books, music and radio shows available to download. The homepage is here if anyone is interested:

Internet Archive

I've downloaded "Yes Minister" episodes without trouble.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 672674

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 14:35

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 14:35
Hi Jim.

Maybe you could help me.
I have been looking for recordings of an old radio program called "The Stoned Ranger & Toronto".
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wim
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 672744

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 18:02

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 18:02
Graeme,

Thanks for those links, they are excellent and will keep me occupied for hours. I've also passed them onto a radio buff I know, and he too thanks you.

Wim,

Sorry I can't help. I sent a note to the above mentioned radio buff and he can't help either.

Jim.

FollowupID: 672764

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 16:07

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 16:07
G'day Brian,
My first option is to search for radio stations. Once I am beyond their 'reach", I have a Apple ipod thingo. When I bought this several years ago, it's 1gb capacity was something to behold. Lesser versions were either 256mb or 500mb. I have mine plugged into a dock which is powered by 12 volts and both charges the battery as well as acting as a FM transmitter so I can play it through the Patrol's radio speakers.

Now, of course, for the same price (or less) than I paid, I could buy an 8gb Nano.

I think I might have to upgrade or do something, as a number of the songs on the ipod are either "scratchy" or they finish part way through.

Technology is not one of my strong subjects, so fortunately I have a 12 y/old who can help me set these things up....;-)

My next challenges are to (a) learn how to program a VCR/DVDR.....even my 12 y/old can't work that one out and we HAVE read the instructions too..... (b) try to learn about this wireless internet stuff. At present we just have one puter in the house and there are arguments about whose turn it is. I would like to buy 3 cheap lap-tops (Coles selling them for <$400- I think I saw somewhere), so if I had 3 then each of the lads could do their own thing and leave the desktop to me and SWMBO. But I've gotta get my scone around how this all works as I don't want a zillion cables and modums etc.

Anyway, sorry for going off-topic.

Roachie

AnswerID: 403269

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:31

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:31
Brian

We have a 120 gig Ipod, and it hooke directly into the Patrol's radio...

We had 4,900 songs..
Beautiful..

In 3 months, on our last trip we had less repeats than the wizz bang FM radio Stations

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 403387

Reply By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 11:24

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 11:24
Mainly Country as it generally relates to locations etc Im at, been to ... or going to.

Toss in a wide variety of rock, folk & blues and that about covers it.

Of course me and my cynical nature wouldnt be complete without some Redgum albums .... LOL

I dont use talking books etc that might require too much concentration as that just affects road sense and general enjoyment of the scenery.
AnswerID: 403397

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 16:10

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 16:10
Redgum,

They (term used loosely) got me and my neighbours in so much #hit many many years ago.

Organised a BBQ at our place with a couple of the neighbours so the boys jumped into the car and off to the pub to get the booze. We picked up our stuff and we heard this good sounding music, and it was at this point, I muttered the fatal words "what about a quick ale before we head back" in hind sight this was a BAD BAD move cause a quick ale ended in many shouts, time got lost with (mates, beer, music and some nice chickie babes) some 4 to 5 hours then passed before we rolled up back at my place. Quite happy we all were (short lived).

As I was the cook seemed only fair I should be there, the girls seemed non to fussed about our time away and me saying we stayed cause of this great band did not lesson the wrath only seemed to fuel the fire, so being newly married and now in unfamiliar territory I figured I best zip the lips and let the other boys fend for themselves they had more experience.

Being quick on the uptake It was apparent the girls were bleep ed off in a big way and somewhat vocal about it (think they just fed off each other) as they attacked us with varying degrees of venom.

After a bit of a basting without much relief insight I figured best to change the subject quickly, so, I said, best we BOYS get the BBQ started have you GIRLS got the food ready yet. I can say without a word of a lie "I was so correct" there was absolute silence it really took their minds of us being late back from the pub. What happened then is another story LOL.

They were the days
LOL

Will have to find some redgum music have not seen any about.

Brian
AnswerID: 403440

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 18:34

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 18:34
Country Music Store up in Brisbane carries a bit ...

...... and theres a mixed bag of stuff on those music download sites ... LimeWire and similliar.

Just keep it hidden from your missus ... lol
FollowupID: 672933

Sponsored Links