Transferring Rego - NT to NSW

Submitted: Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 19:39
ThreadID: 75884 Views:4005 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I am considering buying a car that is currently in the NT and a friend mentioned that there may be some requirements for this that are peculiar to NT and ACT.

Does anyone know anything about this.

Cheers, Colin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:08

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:08
Maybe if you spell out what your friend said...... then we can make a judgement on information available on that info.

AFAIK there are no peculiarities, as states and territories all fall under the same law.

AnswerID: 403307

Follow Up By: Col88 - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:13

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:13
Just as I said Willem, he said he thought there was something different about registering a vehicle that had been registered in the NT.

I have since clarified that it was a Blue Slip he needed. He thought this was particularly for an ex NT car, which of course it isn't.
FollowupID: 672793

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:28

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:28
Apart from the number plates being a different colour and our inspections slips being green not need to explain a bit more about what your mate said?

FollowupID: 672798

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:49

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:49
Registration can't be transferred from State to State, the registration should be cancelled in NT & then the vehicle registered in NSW.
Technically you can't drive it back to NSW without a temporary permit, although some vendors will let you drive the vehicle back & then post back the plates.
AnswerID: 403316

Follow Up By: Brooksy (NSW) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 22:07

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 22:07
Have been though this experience of purchasing a vehicle interstate. You need to obtain a blue slip (new vehicle registration) and take your NT plates into a NSW Motor Registry and it is quite simple to register the vehicle. the RTA send the plates back to the other state. Of course, you have to pay NSW stamp duty on the purchase of the vehicle. The RTA website has all the deails.
FollowupID: 672808

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:39

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:39
Would the NSW RTA be a good starting point?

After all they alledgedly wrote the rule book and they are the ones you need to keep happy.

May I suggest you go to or ring a NSW RTA heavy vehicle inspection station for advice. My experience of NSW rego is these people actually have to know the rules. They are dealing with truck and bus rego requiring a level of professionalism above the normal registry office.


Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403326

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:21

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:21
The RTA Inspectors know the rules
The D heads behind the counter haven't got a clue.

Re registration is a simple process provided the vehicle is not modified or has not previously been declared written off.

You will need a Blue slip to get registration and this is where any modifications can become a problem. What may be accepted in the NT may not be ok here

Wayne B
FollowupID: 673017

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:28

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:28
Oh as Roachie said you will also need a Green Slip for third Party insurance.

The pink slip he refers to is not required as this is for renewal of NSW Registration.

I hate the RTA with passion.

There the same ones who put 80kph speed limits where there use to be 100kph
for no bloody reason at all. But thats another subject
FollowupID: 673018

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 22:20

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 22:20
Strewth, I break out in a cold sweat everytime I recall my experience with this. I moved from Canberra to Batemans Bay in 1994, necessitating a change in rego. At the time I owned a petrol Ford Maverick on gas.

I fronted up to the RTA and waited for about half an hour in a queue (this was to become a regular occurence over the coming days/weeks).

When I finally got to the counter and explained what I was doing, the nice lady said I needed to get a "pink slip". I asked what and where I could get one of these and she informed me I needed to go to a mechanical workshop to have the vehicle "roadworthied". She gave the names of few local shops where i could get this done and I duly proceeded to get my "pink slip".

Another lengthy wait for service with my old ACT rego papers in hand and my nice new pink slip......get to the counter and the same lady said in a very matter-of-fact voice: "where is your "green slip". I said I didn't know I needed a "green slip"..... what is it and where do I get it from. Answer came that it was for 3rd party insurance and i could get it only from the local NRMA office (at the local Ford dealership).

Hmmm, somewhat frustrated that this sheila hadn't told me about the "green slip" at the same time she told me about the "pink slip", I trundled off to the Ford shop. Shelled out some more money and had my "pink slip" and my nice new "green slip" in my hot little hands....then back to the RTA.

Another lengthy queue: get to the counter and as she started to go through the paperwork, she sees that my rig is hooked up to LPG......" Where's your "blue slip"? " she says. Okay, I'm usually a pretty bloody patient sort of bloke, but I blew it now!!! "What the f*** is a damned "blue slip" and why didn't you mention it to me before?" I asked in a rather frustrated tone of voice. "Sir, your vehicle runs on LPG so you need to have the gas system certified for use in NSW" (or words to that effect). "How many more colours of the rainbow do you have forms for? I may as well get the whole friggin lot while I'm at it".....

Anyway, as it turned out, it stopped after I had the 3 forms filled out and shelled-out bucks to various businesses in the Bay.....

Talk about bloody frustrating!!!!!! GRRRR....still makes my blood boil.
AnswerID: 403335

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 23:44

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 23:44


Be fair

How would the states survive without revenue from things like multicoloured slips, stamp duties, fines, all sorts of secret imposts.

Lets get rid of the states. What a waste of space.
FollowupID: 672825

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 01:32

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 01:32
A much better idea would be to get rid of the parasitic Fed Govt.
NSW and Vic could stand on their own feet,LOL, and WA would be much better off without having to prop up all the other states and the Feds as well .

FollowupID: 672834

Reply By: 60series_adventurer - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 06:37

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 06:37

I hope it's an easier process than my brother recently experienced going from Vic TO Qld.

Had to get a safety certificate for EVERYTHING he wanted to register in QLD.
Car 1: Safety Cert and Gas Certificate
Car 2: Safety Cert
Box trailer: Safety Cert
21 ft Caravan: Safety Cert and Gas Cert.-bought the van 3 weeks before in Vic -had to redo all then had to be taken into the Dept of Transport office so they could "measure" the van

Not only in this a time consuming exercise with all having to go to an approved inspection station than to the Dept of Transport but also costly with I think each certificate for vehicle/van coming in at $130 a pop at least. As if Rego fees arn't bad enough without all that carry on.

When they moved to Vic 5 years prior it was a matter of swapping it all over when they got there.

To me that seems to be abit of a revenue raising exercise and a time waster!!
AnswerID: 403716

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:33

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:33
Having just been through the safety certificate process (only one car fortunately, $65) I tend to agree- the safety certificate is useful when buying a used car, and to ensure that people don't register smashbuckets, but if you own the car already then there is no requirement to maintain its condition. I don't think there are any fewer smashbuckets in Brisbane than there are in Adelaide, where there are no rego inspections!
FollowupID: 673290

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)