The nature of dogs

Submitted: Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:47
ThreadID: 75889 Views:2757 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I’ve had dogs all my life, mainly working Kelpies, and from time to time you’ll find a certain dog exhibiting unusual behaviour.

We had one animal we picked up in the bush as a mature mongrel pup, and this bloke had an attitude problem, big time. He’d bite the bark off a tree!

Anyway the dog took a liking to be me and would have a go at the parents or anyone if they came within five feet.

I’ve had other very good dogs, but by cripes if you didn’t tether the pair, they’d get into the sheep and be shot.

Many years have gone by, and I now have a small dog, who considers the house to be her own, not to mention our camps sites. Everything must be clean and tidy!

Last weekend was a bit windy, with fences falling down, patio roofs coming off, and paper flying everywhere.

About four pieces of paper were dumped in the patio area and, as I watched her, she picked up each piece of litter, took it down the back yard and came back for the rest.

This is the reason I’ll always have dogs. Their nature always surprises me. LOL

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 22:14

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 22:14
Hi Kim

She sounds like a great friend. Like the old story goes: How to prove a dog is mans best friend.
1) Lock your wife and your dog in the boot of your car.
2) Go away for three hours, then return.
3) Open the boot. Now, who's pleased to see you? lol

Had a Rotty that was as gentle as anything.... EXCEPT with males, other than my son and me.
Bit a lump out of the guy setting up the keg for a party, bit my brother who had just come up for a visit, took a lump out of my next door neighbour (a good friend)...... if they came within touching distance of any female member of my family, chomp!

Loved rump, that girl...lol

Sadly missed,

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 403332

Reply By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 00:49

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 00:49
heh heh ....

a rubbish picker upperer ...

Have a halfbreed heeler here that hides its ball and chewtoys away when the grandkids turn up.

Cant have baby germs on the tennis ball I guess ... LOL
AnswerID: 403356

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:12

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:12
Hi Kim & Damn Dog, My favourite breed is the Kelpie/ Collie working dogs, as you can see my profile pic is our much missed member of the family, she had such a fantastic nature, she was also very generous, she use to let us live in her kennel, we were also aloud to sleep in her bed as long as we didn't kick her off LOL.

We now have her neice, Misty, her Dad is Collie/ Kelpie, and her Mum is black Lab and Golden Retriever, an unexpected union on the farm lol. She is mischief waiting to happen but she too has the most gorgeous nature, just wants to sit on us or against us, I just love watching her playing and the tricks she pulls, an extremely smart dog.

The biggest problem with animals is it is so hard losing them.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 403363

Reply By: OREJAP - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:21

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:21
Had a blue heeler once whom was very smart so I taught him to play poker. He didn't like holding the cards between his toes so I laid them on the card table for him. Things were hotting up one night and I was up about $140 & the dog was really trying to win his money back.Well, this one hand I bet $20 he went $25. I raised to $45 & he up it $10. I wondered what the go was as he sat there panting and wagging his tail. I knew he had a top hand so i threw in...well he barked & snarled and was really up set that I threw in!!! Never played him again....talk about attitude!!
AnswerID: 403409

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 18:28

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 18:28
Ha Ha Ha

I've heard a few, but not that one! LOL

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 672929

Reply By: DOBBO60 - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 15:42

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 15:42
We used to have a tan Kelpie on the farm years ago who was a born workaholic. From sun up to sun down he would never stop trying to round things up, Cats, chooks, kids, goanna's, anything.
One morning I heard him barking his head off and when I looked outside he was running in circles and barking at something in the dirt. When I walked over to where he was scratching I saw something shiny on the ground. Well bugger me, the silly old dog was trying to round up the rams head on the face of an old shilling. Damn good dog that one!
AnswerID: 403437

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 18:29

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 18:29
hmmmm ....

that one ought to be worth a free exploroz membership ..... lol
FollowupID: 672931

Reply By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 20:51

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 20:51
My brother is a batcholor farmer and has a heap of dogs mainly border collies.
The dogs are his family and it is amazing what he can get them to do. Anyway I went out to help him one weekend, and when I arrived he told me that he was training his smartest dog Ted to help him with the maintance of his farm machinery. I gave a laugh , Paul then said right o I will show you.
He already had the bonnet of his lux up, he then instructed Ted to check the oil. To my amazement the dog jumped up into the engine bay and pulled the dipstick out with his teeth.
I nearly fell over, and gushed" Thats the smartest dog I have ever seen".
Paul replied ," not really, I have told him heaps of times that if the oil is ok to give one bark, if it needs oil to give two barks, and he is still geting it wrong after a weeks training.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 403483

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:38

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:38
Love dog stories Kim - the dogs get smarter with age like most people.

Our Belgian Shepard used to run after the car for kilometers when young, as she got older she wouldn't so to get her some exercise we would call her to jump in the car and when down the bottom of the back paddock we would let her out so she would have to get exercise walking a couple of km back home
Now when we call her to the car she slinks off the other way to aviod the exercise routine. She knows !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 403490

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 00:37

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 00:37
Dogs are mans best friend no doubt about that.
I could not see myself without a dog as a pet.
We have a Red Setter, 3 Rescued Greyhounds, a Jack Russell and a Australian Silky.

The Silky is a pain suffers from small dog syndrome

Jack is a great mate will follow me everywhere

Red is just dumb and clumsy, and frightened of storms,very friendly nature.

The greyhounds are great dogs and have a lovely nature, not too bright and are big sooks. One had to go for an injection the other day and she cried for 20 minutes after. What a woose.

AnswerID: 403512

Reply By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:15

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:15
Ahh the faithful hound...

We have two large dogs now.

I have always had dogs, even from a young age, the wife never had.. You would laugh so hard seeing the way my 50kg wife gets along with the two 60kg(each) hounds, not to mention the 10kg baby. They bring so much joy into our lives, it's a dog thing! We all wouldn't be without them.

Cheers.

AnswerID: 403667

Sponsored Links