Which GPS for Oziexplorer

Gday,
I'm after some info please on what brands, models of GPS units people have to use Oziexplorer?

I'm a bit bamboozled by the quantity of different models etc. so I;m asking people what they know already works. I have read the articles here on GPS.

I only want a basic handheld unit that is still accurate, able to run off of 12v, probably with AA batteries too. But it doesn't need the bells and whistles.

I would like to use it to plot my position on Oziexplorer and fishing spots.

Does anybody have any advice or know which GPS models would suit?

Cheers

Barnesy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 00:58

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 00:58
Hi Barnesy.

I'm using an entry level Garmin Etrex H (make sure it's an "H' - earlier models have been superseded and are not nearly as good on satt pick-up) - it will do anything you need re the satt-OE interface.

I also use a slightly better optioned (still entry levelish Gamin 72, but it's a b***** in forests for pick-up.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 403357

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:18

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:18
Sorry, I may have misunderstood the Q - I was responding to interfacing a GPS with a cable to a laptop loaded with Ozi and mapping.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 672870

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:02

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:02
Cheers John, that's right. It would be handy to be able to load maps onto gps, but I wouldn't use it often.
FollowupID: 673014

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:28

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:28
No worries Barnesy.

Btw I originally purchased my Garmin Gps72 for boating purposes. It's great as an entry level for this. But for bushwalking it's a bit of a brick. Plus the forests issue.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673079

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 01:40

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 01:40
Not sure whether you mean what GPS to use hooked up to a Laptop or just a unit that runs Oziexplorer stand alone.

I honestly can't see Ozi being of much use on anything with a screen smaller than 3.5inches and i run a minimum of 2gig SD card to hold maps.

AnswerID: 403360

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 06:21

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 06:21
Hi Barnesy
I run a Garmin 60Cx, (with Shonky, T4A and Blue Chart Mapsets) which runs on two AA batteries while handheld, when in the vehicle it sit's in a cradle and a power lead to a cig soc. When touring I down load the day's trip to OziExplorer on the laptop. While mobile I use a Garmin Nuvi which runs CN2010, Shonky, T4A, Oztopo and Topo Aust and Contours Aust map sets. Seems to work for me.
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 403366

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 07:01

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 07:01
Barnsey, you have asked about Oziexplorer and I guess for a particular reason. Oziexplorer runs on Windows or you use the cut down version which runs on Windows CE and is OziexplorerCE.

To get the best out of OziCE you need to version that runs on your computer too to transfer tracks to or from and the like.

The hand held computers that run OziCE are the units like the VMS Touring, HEMA, PDAs like HP, Dell, Mio.

It appears that none of the people that have answered you, but have other solutions. I use a VMS in dash unit which gives me great flexibility of maps, but it is the ones I mention above that use rechargeable batteries that are your best bet.
AnswerID: 403369

Reply By: Member - Brad S (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:40

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:40
Look on eBay for any GPS with a 7" touch screen.

Usually around $250 to $350

Often come with reversing camera.
Adverts usually will say can take SDHC card...which means greater than 4gig SD card
Also adverts often say product can run OziExplorer although they do come with talkie gps software.
Many have socket to attach an external gps anntena as well.
Make sure you get a GPS with up to date version of Windoze mobile etc...

After owning five GPS of varying brands it only confirmed my belief that branding, brand loyalty etc is a great excuse for ripping people off. Worst experiences were with well known brands...small, not intuitive to use, expensive and difficult to get parts and cables for.

Good Luck!
AnswerID: 403430

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 15:16

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 15:16
Hi Barnsey
There are 2 ways that you can run Ozi, with both units quite different. I use both for various reasons and both are as good as each other.

1. If you do not wish to disconnect the GPS once you have Ozi as a moving map, the BU 353 mouse type GPS receiver is the way to go. They are great units, very small, acquire a fix very quick and are usually under $100

2. If you wish to remove the GPS from the laptop and use it for various reason, most good quality hand held GPS units like Garmin are the way to go. I use this mode for when I locate Degree Confluences and wish to log tracks while either walking or on the water.

Below is a picture of a Garmin GPS unit that I mount to my Kayaks, so I can log a track file of my various paddles.

I hope that this is what you were after.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 403434

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:01

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:01
Thanks Stephen,
option 2 is what I'm after. Able to hook up to laptop when required to plot position on Ozi, but also able to use it for fishing, hiking etc.
FollowupID: 673013

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 08:05

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 08:05
Hi Barnesy
You will find like John has mentioned above, the eTrex basic model H at under $150 will be what you are after. Very accurate, simple to use and give long battery life out of two 'AA' batteries if heading off on foot or what ever. For times when you do not know how many hours the batteries have performed, I always carry spare batteries for the times when they run out, and it has happened, both in the bush and while paddling.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 673025

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:44

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:44
Just to add to Stephen's advice, if you want a handheld GPS with maps, you just have to pay extra (over the suggested eTrex). Once upon-a-time you then had the choice of B&W or Colour (more $$$) but not sure if that upgrade path is still accurate (i.e. do they make B&W 's anymore? don't know myself). Then you could spend more for a bigger screen (downside is less battery life). If you have more $$$ to spend, ask Stephen what's the latest and greatest!

Cheers, Nige
FollowupID: 673036

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:46

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:46
ohh, forget to add... most of the handhelds have some level of water resistance... in-car 'navigators' most likely won't.
FollowupID: 673037

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 00:11

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 00:11
I am just like you New to all this GPS / Oziexporer stuff. Its taken me 2 weeks to get a handle on OZI. I use a mouse GPS receiver connected to Lap top for moving map and plotting. Works Great

However I would like a normal GPS to run the Maps. There is a fancy one for $999 that runs the Hema Maps ect. Toooo Many $$$$$

I have a Nuvie and I am getting my Computer Nerd Mate to see if he can load the maps on to it. ???? Including Treks and other Map Objects created on the Lap top or imported from Exploreoz. I hope this is possible????

Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 403511

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:07

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:07
Thanks to all for answering. I thought my question was precise but now I'm confronted with even more info on various gps systems. I will look up what others have said.

I'm after a handheld gps that can be plugged into the laptop to pinpoint my location on Oziexplorer, but alsi be able to use it for fishing, hiking etc. The ability to upload maps onto the unit would be handy but not essential.

Cheers
ps by the way it is me who asked the question. I just renewed my membership after being out bush for a coupke of years having poor access to internet.
AnswerID: 403516

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:04

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:04
We put one of these AVNC 300 units from VMS in the dash. Fits right in. No stuffing around with laptops and connects to the old PC I setup in the garage on the home LAN. Quite expensive but so far happy we spent the extra. Its a double DIN unit that is fully integrated into the cars wiring. Has all the extras like blue tooth, Ipod USB, rear camera, etc etc etc. If you want that stuff its there for you. Me!! I don't even use a mobile phone.

Like I said exxy but worth it. Full warranty, backup and excellent after sales service and no cables running to a PC in the back. No PC on the floor to get dirty and/or wet.

Link: VMS AVNC 3000

At least it will give you an idea of what's out there.

Phil
AnswerID: 403561

Sponsored Links