ARB after purchase support

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 13:11
ThreadID: 75900 Views:4954 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

After purchasing an ARB air locker at a 4WD show which included fitting by a large ARB outlet in Melbourne, I have had a number of issues that ARB have not been interested in assisting.

First issue was the air compressor. The mounting of the compressor was in a position that would ensure that any water in the engine bay would be directed straight into the compressor air intake. Predictly the compressor sucked some water in during a low water crossing, and ARB would not cover the replacement/repair EVEN THOUGH they had done the installation.

Second issue was the air locker. The compressor would start and stop about every minute to keep the locker engaged. I didn't think much about this (not knowing much about lockers) until a friend pointed out this was not right. And it was getting worse. The locker was still under warranty, but ARB would only agree to look at the locker if I brought the vehicle into Melbourne (I live in country Victoria) and left it there for two days - NO GUAREENTEE regarding costs and would only cover any faulty parts. I ended up getting my local ARB service centre to look at the problem which they resolved (was to do with the shimming of the components) but this was not covered under warranty and again I'm out of pocket.

The moral of the story - the money I saved by purchasing the locker on a show special has been well and truely blown by the additional work required to get things right. I should have taken the vehicle to my local show in the first place and got it done right the first time and paid full price. I have had other issues with other ARB products also (leaking Longranger fuel tank - would not cover repairs)

This is in stark constrast to the support from Ironman when I had a problem with a suspension upgrade - bent over backwards to help and resolve the problem.

Hope you can learn from my experiences.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:05

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:05
G'day Geoff
Not a good report. Would have though ARB could do better than that.
I also would have thought that irrespective of buying at a show discount you should still be entitled to have things working properly and fixed at their cost. Surely a show special can't get them out of warranty obligations. I think you need to take this further - head office complaint as a start.
AnswerID: 403425

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 01:42

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 01:42
I had problems with another ARB line. Didn't want to know me after I had paid!

Cut the thing up and left it on the front door step with a note with my grumbles and phone number. Never got that call.
Went to one of the competitors couldn't have been more helpful.

ARB will not get any more of my cash any more.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 673260

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:26

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:26
Hi Geoff,
I would be going straight the your state office of fair trading/consumer affairs. The way you described it, the product sold did not work according to its design or description. Therefore should have been rectified. How did you approach the issue - who did you speak to and what was their position in ARB, did you ask to go higher, or did you go to ARB head office? Did you get a written report of the fault from your local ARB service centre? If as you say the fault was shimming, then this is a mistake by the installer.
AnswerID: 403428

Reply By: dazza62 - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:28

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:28
Disappointed to hear of your issues with ARB as I have nothing but praise for them in Geelong.

Would be worthwhile following through with ARB Head Office as they value feedback on their Agents service levels.

No doubt they would be very keen to resolve this to protect their Brand.

AnswerID: 403429

Reply By: jeep cherokee - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:57

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 14:57
I wonder if there are any ARB representatives reading this post that would like to comment,after all many of use use their products and word of mouth is very powerfull. I myself have no complaints to date.
AnswerID: 403432

Follow Up By: dazza62 - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 16:39

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 16:39
Would imagine if there was they wouldn't be happy.

Over 400 views in a couple of hours on exploroz.

Imagine if it had of been Today Tonight or ACA.

Word of mouth is a magnificent form of marketing and this post is not helping ARB.
FollowupID: 672903

Reply By: Geoff M - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 15:37

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 15:37
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I would like to stress that I have had good service from my local ARB stockist, but I cannot say this about the dealer I initially went through (large ARB dealer in the Melbourne area) or the ARB head office. I believe that ARB had good products, have used them on my current and previous vehicles, but recent experiences have been less than satisfactory.

My problems have been resolved by my local guy, although I am out of pocket quite a few dollars. Rather than pursue things further, I will take my future business elsewhere where possible and use companies/stockists that I trust.
AnswerID: 403435

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 15:58

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 15:58
Geoff had both front and back fitted into my car last year and all I can say was that my local ARB store gave excellent installation and follow up service when I had the oil changed as per their recommendations. They even picked up a suspension problem that I've had for a while.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 403438

Follow Up By: Sludgie - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 23:23

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 23:23
They obviously didn't pick up the car problem though :)

Sudgie
FollowupID: 673002

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 23:57

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 23:57
Yer but at least I can spell my name. Cheeky bugger.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673008

Reply By: Steve63 - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 16:34

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 16:34
It appears that there is no QA at some of the stores. I had a sub tank fitted at one of the Adelaide stores. I let them know we traveled a lot on rough tracks and dirt roads. THEY either decided it was a crock because it was not a toyota or nissan or they just didn't give a damn. End result was that after one trip the tank ripped the floor pan (they missed the cross sections with there screws). They didn't seem overly concerned. So I just take my cash elsewhere.

Steve
AnswerID: 403443

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 17:04

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 17:04
Seems a poor response from one of the so called big guns in the industry. I
wouldnt put my cue in the rack just yet. Write to the Head Office explaining your
case, send copies of all documentation & ask for compensation. Tell them how
many on this site, another big gun in the industry, have read of your poor
experience, & how you would love to post that ARB have responded in a
suitable fashion to rectify the situation. Good Luck.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 403446

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 17:44

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 17:44
That's unfortunate for you Geoff and unfortunately you're now a member of a not to exclusive club. I've had several issues where ARB haven't wanted to know about a problem. I actually own an ex-ARB show car so it was fitted out to the hilt with their products and those of suppliers they support (Longranger, Black Widow, Outback, OME etc). Heaven help you if you're looking for after sales service on a product they stock that is not of their own manufacture, and even their stuff they are reluctant on. I slowly swapped out what I considered to be the "consumables" of 4x4ing away from ARB for products that I learnt provided much better service and back-up (Yep Ironman is one of those & Brown Davis another. Good people to deal with).

Methinks they're just too big a company now and the customer tends to suffer in those circumstances.

Hope all goes well with it.

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 403449

Follow Up By: Muddie - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 20:08

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 20:08
I think your right, much to big and now only interested in targeting mass markets, the new comer, pretender and those who find Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures informative.
FollowupID: 672952

Reply By: trainslux - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 18:13

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 18:13
If you search a bit deeper, this is not an isolated case.
Many, including myself, and yourself have suffered very poor service, and attitude from arb.
Never again will I go near a store, nor use their product.

Trains

AnswerID: 403453

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:01

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:01
Well ARB does stand for Arrogant Rude B ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 672969

Reply By: CJ - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:09

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:09
It is always dissapointing to hear about poor after sales service, from any store, as we do spend some big $$'s at times.

I must say that I have had the opposite experience from my local ARB store, they offer great service.

After fitting their OME coil and shocks to front and rear, I went to Cape York.

On the way back, on a Saturday morning just south of Laura the one rear shock absorber failed.

As soon as I was in mobile range I contacted my local ARB, asking them to check what model shocky it was, check availability of stores closest to me etc.

They called back and advised that their Cairns store is waiting for me. As it was slower travelling than normal I advised that there was no way I could make it to Cairns before their one pm close. He said not to worry, they will wait.

I arrived at 3pm, was met with a smile, replaced the shocky under warranty, took care of the paperwork between the stores etc.

I could not have asked for more. Thanks guys!

Cheers,

CJ
AnswerID: 403485

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 23:56

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 23:56
That Is good Service well ARB.

Any company is only as good as the people who work for them and the dealer network that supports them.

If the person you are speaking to dose nor really give a S*** then it can denigrate a company's reputation.

Big companies usually want to look after their customer but first you have to get past the person on the counter at the dealership. This problem often occurs if you purchased the product from another outlet.

Cheers
Wayne B
FollowupID: 673007

Sponsored Links