Australian Made? What a joke

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 07:01
ThreadID: 75916 Views:4156 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Well, i have got steam coming out my ears.

Ordered set of seat covers from a company in australia, that claims all there products are manufactured in Australia and they are a very proud Australian company.

Anyway, i got the seat covers, and they are supposed to be a custom made cover to fit my vehicle, right. My vehicle has side airbags, and these covers are not to be fitted to a side airbag equipped vehicle. So i have just wasted alot of money or i have just been stuffed around and wont have my seatcovers in time for my trip. Now that was enough to make me agro, and contact the place i got them from, but only being firm, not nasty. Had to email them, and as yet no reply.

Then this just went and broke the camels back, as plain as day on the packet AND on the seatcover its says those 3 words that usually spell trouble, MADE IN CHINA. Oh, ok so its manufactured in Australia but made in China, is that possible?

I tell ya what the faeces has hit the mistral well and truly. Stuff the seller i went and emailed the company directly, asking them what the go is and why the blatant lies. Not only ripping us Aussies off with there lies, but also for putting my familys safety at risk with there lack of knowledge of airbags being fitted to that model.

Is it just the thing to state these days, that there products are made in Australia, but actually are just cheap crap from China. It seems everyone is selling these inferior Chinese products these days and claiming there Aussie made or top notch. Im not just talking seatcovers but almost everything in general.

Is it a serious offence to state that its made in Australia, but actually isnt? Or is manafacture actually a really smart word for Made in China, but put on the shelf in Australia.

Buyer Beware

Rant over now, i need sleep.

Cheers

Anyway buyer beware.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 07:10

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 07:10
Muntoo

Yes its misleading, but I wouldn't describe everything made in China as inferior or crap.

This computer (iMac) is made in China, along with my iPhone, Spot GPS, all the clothes I am wearing, just about all my bush gear.

Frankly, you'd be hard pressed to find anything not made in China. Unless its made in Thailand or Vietnam.

Most of the gear coming from China is very high quality. Personally, I wouldn't like to eat food coming from China (unless you had a taste for Melamine), but I suspect a lot of the frozen vegetables on supermarket shelves are Chinese.

Bob
AnswerID: 403524

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:57

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:57
I second Muntoo

These Chinese products are as cheap/expensive or as crappy/good, as the importer wants them to be.

If you were an Australian manufacturer struggling to survive against the local competition who already orders from overseas, then the logical thing to do is, also start ordering from overseas.

What the Chinese do offer, is in many cases not a finished product, they offer manufacturing capability.

It's almost entirely up to the (Australia based in this case) importer to specify almost all aspects of the product he wants to import.

If he orders crap, he'll receive crap, if he orders quality, he'll receive quality.
But if the competition already orders crap, he's got not much choice if he was to survive.

The real crooks, like you discovered earlier, are the ones who're intentionally misleading the unsuspecting buyer.

The other thing is, if we give them as many of our mineral resources we can possibly dig out of the ground in the shortest period of time, then why shouldn't we gladly accept their goods in return?
You can't have it both ways, and I think it's much better doing it this way than risking resource wars like elsewhere in the world.

Best regards, Peter
FollowupID: 673042

Reply By: signman - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:17

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:17
And on the news this morning..
Australian Army uniforms now to be....MADE IN CHINA !!!!!

AnswerID: 403539

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:52

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:52
The Material will be MADE in China but the garments will be Assembled in Australia.

Also I would suspect that all Services of the Australian Defence Force will have these Uniforms not just the Army ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 673039

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:39

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:39
Actually, the material will be sourced in Wangaratta and the clothing made in Bendigo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/10/2815392.htm

FollowupID: 673096

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:30

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:30
"Earlier Australia Defence Association executive director Neil James said any plans to move manufacturing offshore would pose a security threat.

"If a foreign manufacturer has the ability to manufacture large numbers of Australian Defence Force combat uniforms, then it raises the risk of that being done illegally, and a potential adversary having the potential to mount deception operations with people dressed in Australian uniforms, or indeed propaganda operations with people wrongly dressed in Australian uniforms," he said."

Oh yeah and where does he think all the auscam stuff for sale in disposals stores comes from! If someone wants to mount a "deception operation" I doubt that they would be slowed down by the uniform issue - you can buy the stuff on ebay.

Neil James needs to get out more.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 673125

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:55

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:55
I brought an Australia flag for Australia Day, and guess what the ticket on it said...............MADE IN CHINA.

I thought that was a joke! Can we Australians not make anything in Australia.

Karen
AnswerID: 403547

Follow Up By: bruce - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:36

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:36
Yes Karen , of course we can make them in Australia...that is if you will accept a pay packet of $100 or less per week for the privilege of working in the factory making them....we have simply priced ourselves out of work through our demands for a high standard of living and in some cases greed....cheers
FollowupID: 673051

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:04

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:04
A friend had an Aussie souvenir platter with photographs of Australiana on it. One of the items was labelled "Knagaroo". Priceless.
FollowupID: 673057

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:07

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:07
How much did you pay for the flag?
FollowupID: 673074

Follow Up By: Karen & Geoff - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:19

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:19
$6.99
FollowupID: 673076

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:25

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:25
...and you are surprised it's made in China?
FollowupID: 673077

Reply By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:30

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:30
Just like orange juice they use overseas concentrate and add Australian water and Australian made bottle and label and call it Australian made, how good is that.
AnswerID: 403556

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:44

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:44
Once they've value-added, by mixing it with water and putting it in a bottle, they can legally (not necessarily morally) call it Australian.
I always check the label, but it's difficult when they say "made from local and imported ingredients". The water added is local, but nothing else is :-)

FollowupID: 673099

Follow Up By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:37

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:37
Yeah the labelling laws are pure crap in Australia.
FollowupID: 673127

Reply By: Member -Tukka (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:21

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:21
Michael

Just on the same subject, i was listening to the radio thismorning and the australian army are having a whinge about their camo's being made in china.

Most of their guns arnt made in australia so i sort of dont see whats wrong but i see where your coming from mate, what a bloody joke. All you want is your seat covers for the trip and you have been stuffed around..
AnswerID: 403592

Reply By: Marty-VIC - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 17:56

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 17:56
thankfully the new seat covers from Candy Canvas are made in Australia from Australian canvas. the last set were so good. Made in Tintinara by Aussies for Aussies. Please help to support Aussie made products it does make a big difference. We wont buy any imported Chinese food or any imported food if we can help it. the wife checks every packet she picks up. Majority of Aldi food is now imported and so much is crap. all Aldi biscuits are Chinese and kill you with salt .We stopped shopping at Aldi excepting for bit of fruit and veg
AnswerID: 403653

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 18:23

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 18:23
Marty,

I've got Candy Canvas seat covers in the Patrol. They were also in my previous patrol..

The one big problem with these covers is that I can't wear 'em out!!!! They cop a real caning and I reckon they're as good today as they were 8+ years ago!!!

Great product.

Roachie

(NB: Usual disclaimer...I have no interest in Candy Canvas, other than being a very satisfied customer).
FollowupID: 673178

Reply By: Muntoo - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:05

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:05
Well i received an email back from company, and all they had to say was that SOME of there fabrics are made in Europe, and SOME of there custom made covers are made in Australia. Sorry but they clearly state that all there products are Australian made, not in China.

Who can i report this too? This is just pathetic. Surely its illegal to claim as such. I remember a certain hat company just got done for this not long ago.

By the way the company is Ilana.
AnswerID: 403664

Reply By: Member - Humff(TAS) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:25

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:25
Showing my age now....Once upon a time (about 50 years ago) every thing made in japan was considered crap Now most of you guys are driving Japanese made vehicles. They got it right The Chinese will also But in the mean time......
you will have to separate the quality from the crap
AnswerID: 403680

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 23:08

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 23:08
The US of A has been exporting manufacturing to various countries around the globe in search of cheap labour for a very long time. About 50 or so years ago it was Japan where labour was cheap and plentiful followed by other countries when Japan became too expensive. As a consequence, over a period of time, more and more jobs were lost in America and the result is now coming home to roost. Now we are slavishly following in their footsteps. We have a wealth of natural resourses but in time even the largest will dwindle to nothing. By then most of our manufacturing industries will amount to very little. IMHO the worst commodity any Country can export is jobs. Short term gain, long term pain.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 403701

Follow Up By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 23:29

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 23:29
I heard a myth many yrs ago that Japan actually named a city USA, so that when items were made, they were stamped Made in USA, which when the customer bought the item, well, it must be good, it was made in USA, lol lol
FollowupID: 673244

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:37

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:37
BBA,

That sparked a memory. My Old Man told me that story years ago.

Turns out to be a myth.

Snopes

Jim.

FollowupID: 673274

Sponsored Links