Do Your Bit to Help Out EO - Where the Bloody Hell are You

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:26
ThreadID: 75928 Views:4464 Replies:9 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all re Stephen Langman's ThreadID: 74240 of the above name, in which he pleaded for new treknotes.

Damien tells me that Stephen is working on other new treknotes. Phil B will shortly put one up, and I am in the process of generating another four (incl one in the NT) after the three from me that are already up.

We three are all from the western half of the continent.

So where the bloody hell are the rest of you????

Maybe it's because there's not much left to explore on t' otherside???

Heh.heh.

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:37

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:37
Could also be that some of us want to keep those locations we discover secret so we can enjoy the serenity by ourselves.
AnswerID: 403594

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:39

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:39
or it could be we spent ages on them a while back to have them knocked back
FollowupID: 673095

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:49

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:49
John,
I lived on the East coast for many years, I assure you the 'West coast' is also the *Best coast* :)

They complain on the East coast there's not enough sunshine there to make their solar panels work, so no wonder so many come over to the Best coast for a traveling holiday and our fantastic weather :)

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 403599

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:34

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:34
Boy o Boy have i got news for you, we went to WA for the sun and fine weather in 2007 and from Geraldton right down around the south west it did nothing but blow and rain.
The weather was worse than we get in Tassie.
Cheers
Bas
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 673195

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 20:12

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 20:12
Now I remember why I go North in winter :)

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 673202

Reply By: skulldug - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:55

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:55
JB,

There's sooo much to see at the eastern end. It doesn't leave much time to write notes about it.

=)

Skull
AnswerID: 403603

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:10

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:10
Awww, go on Skull...

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673112

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:01

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:01
Not sure exactly what trek notes are.

Me, I just look at a map, pick two points, start at one and try to get to the other. Sometimes theres a track other times nothing at all.

Makes for a more interesting and exciting trip where you rely more on you and your car's ability.

I get quite a kick out of going where no one has gone before for 3-4 days, probqably more fun than 2 weeks on the freeway, I mean CSR.....lol.

The only trek notes I have are a few faded pencil marks on a few old torn maps.

Cheers......Lionelo.
AnswerID: 403606

Follow Up By: Rod W - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:11

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:11
Right on Lionel
FollowupID: 673113

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:13

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:13
Yeh, OK... But what about the less adventurous pensioners like me??

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673115

Follow Up By: Rod W - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:26

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:26
Ya get out there and explore. Have a look at a map and find a location that may be of interest and then go to it. Explore it. Go up that overgrown track.
FollowupID: 673122

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 16:39

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 16:39
Mind you, it pays to have a 'bulldozer on wheels', it's amazing where the old MQ Patrol will go, even without all the fancy traction controls and lockers.

Dont have to worry about $80K worth of panels either....lol.

Cheers......Lionel.
FollowupID: 673155

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 16:45

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 16:45
That is soooo apt Lionel.

The chariot is booked in for 8 days later this month for $4k worth of panelbeating!

Not so cheery.
FollowupID: 673158

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 19:51

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 19:51
Geez John, $4k...

What have you been doing??

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 673394

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 21:16

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 21:16
It's all a bit embarrassing Alan, but.... a branch snuck out from the bullich woodland while I was on the track west of Lake Jasper and dinged me under the front rt wheel arch and then flicked back along the side for a further ding.

Then as it was up and very soft and I had lost momentum, I reversed down the track to the bottom for a run-up, but unfortunately backed into one of the pepps close to the side with the rear wheel carrier. The carrier pressed the HF aerial mount against the tailgate for another ding. All in all a shambles.

@%$#@*^!!
FollowupID: 673422

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 21:28

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 21:28
Oh don't be embarrassed, I'm sure that kind of thing happens to most of us at some stage - at least you were out there doing what you love to do!!!

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673423

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:40

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:40
Hi John
Yes it is about time that others shared their favourite spots with other. It is not about keeping something secret, but sharing with other like minded travellers. I think my tally is 16 to date with at least 2 more in the making and working on one at the moment.

One of my last trek notes was the Mereenie Loop Track. I had logged it about 2 years ago. It is a well travelled track, not hard, yet no one else had made the time to put the details up here on EO. I was prompted to give Damian a call after someone asked a question on the forum about driving it, so that was the excuse for me to get the two fingers tapping again.

Australia is the Best Country in the world with every type of driving conditions available. Also do not forget that many that drive our great Nation do not drive off of the bitumen. So here is a challenge for one lucky traveller. Contact Damian, submit a new trek file and I will give you an extra years membership on top of what EO give you.

So start now and contact Damian.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 403623

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 15:40

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 15:40
Yeah Stephen....I hear you

I am not going to go into the politics of THINGS but suffice to say I won't go there.

The more TREKNOTES there are around, the more people will follow those notes.

The more people out there.....the rest will follow.......if you get my drift. Soon the places we hold dear as remote, will be overrun with what you read about here on the forum!

What has happened to Exploring? I mean Modern day Exploring. Looking at maps, finding tracks (or no tracks for that matter) and plotting a route. Getting permission or not, going to look for 'new' places, whether they have been discovered before or not?

If we keep on supplying information for very little cost to a particular medium the whole world will know where to go and the excitement will be taken out of our hands.

Within the confines of this site you may supply information on certain features and be rewarded with a nominal reward, whereas the content becomes copyrighted in favour of the site. I.E. they have bought it off you. A good marketing ploy.(My opinion)

I write stories about my travels via my own personal website but always fail to give too many details so as to create that view that it could be an exciting venture to undertake or NOT!

But each to their own

Cheers

FollowupID: 673137

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 18:17

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 18:17
Willem........spot on mate.

Fred.
FollowupID: 673177

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:19

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:19
Hi Willem
I to like you travel to so very remote places, some of which will remain a secret. As you know, there are a small group of true travellers here on EO that will only share information to those that they can trust. Even on our last trip last year, we were given some very privileged information with the only request from the supplier, was not to publish any photos or waypoints of those very special places, of which I have not intention to do. These places are so special, it will only take one idiot to ruin it for the very few privileged people that do get to some them.

The point that I was raising, is that site is viewed by members of the internet community, world wide. Australia has some very special places that people come from all over the world to see that are open to any person, not even have to get off of the black stuff to visit. One very good example would be "The Great Ocean Road" in Victoria. It is a drive that we never get sick of travelling, with some fantastic scenery that we do not have here in SA. This is just one location that I have picked on, as the east coast of Australia has many such destination that could be included in the Trek Note section, without betraying any special or secret locations.

My offer still stands and I have spoken with Damian today about it. EO needs more east coast Treks and it is a great way of sharing your experience with other friends and the rest of the world.

These couple of pictures are of historical value for Australia, and can be viewed by all while travelling our great nation.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673188

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:06

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:06
Hi Willem,

re..."Within the confines of this site you may supply information on certain features and be rewarded with a nominal reward, whereas the content becomes copyrighted in favour of the site. I.E. they have bought it off you. A good marketing ploy.(My opinion)".

........I can't see how the info is copyrighted - except maybe (???) for the photos (but I don't send in my best) since the routes are free to all and anyone can generate, as of new, the routes and wpts.

None of the treks I've put up (or will put up) are secret business. I've simply followed stuff already on the net (such as from the fabulous well known Bushtrax site) or used national parks info - then put it up in a format that gives a sense of the attractions and history of the places.

But it's been very handy for me and my wife (who's a bit more nervous than am I) to know that others have been before and that, commonsense prevailing, the routes are do-able. Unlike you we've no real interest in going offtrack and I would think only a tiny %age of users of this site would like to do that. Not, mind you, that I don't think it's not interesting, but I'd rather read about it in the blogs as do it myself. The Cruiser is already suffering enough.

All that's being suggested is to put up info to make the choices easier and more informative for the relatively few (I suspect) of site users that actually get out much in 4WD country in any case. Or as Stephen says to demonstrate the great 2wd scenery we have. It doesn't need to be harder than it has to.

If there's no destination content on the site, the site becomes a whole lot less interesting to many.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 673216

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:20

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:20
Every time I've set off with the intention of recording a trip by way of photos, trek notes, Ozi track, video I suddenly forget because I am having such a good time just doing it.

I always regret that I never take enough photos, and the track files that I've saved are always a bit piece meal.

For my next trip in April I'll be using Spot so at least my position every ten minutes will be recorded (if I remember to turn it on, and WW3 doesn't break out). And I promise myself I'll take more photos with the new camera.

BTW I'd abolish the states (waste of space and sheltered workshop for bunch of spongers who should be out doing something constructive rather than reinventing the wheel in 8 different ways) . Those lines on maps mean nothing to me. We are all Australians. Wether you live to west or east of a line on a map is meaningless.

Bob
AnswerID: 403678

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:42

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:42
I'll hold you to that Bob. Great!

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673226

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:35

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 21:35
Interesting point. I have never done a trek note, but have recently started to do Blogs of our major travels. I take the point on the 'special places' though. Even within the Blogs (Kimberley in particular) we deliberately held back a few special details and pics that we thought were too 'sensitive' for open posting on the web. But that was only a small (though special) part of the trip. Other than these sort of things, we are happy to share our experiences.

We now see ourselves as 'Travellers' (having rented out our home and now travelling full time), rather than 4WDers, which we perhaps could have previously been classified as - being active members of a 4WD Club and doing lots of shorter trips, with the challenge of the drive being a big part of the trip.

So I see Blogs as the more relevant way of communicating and sharing our experiences than Trek Notes. But that is just us and where we are at in our life and travels.

Norm C
AnswerID: 403685

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 22:25

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 22:25
Not a big fan of Trek notes so I neither follow them nor do I give them out to others. While it's great to share our trips with others to make it easier for them to plan, the whole system does tend to concentrate travellers on the same routes, stopping at the same places which in turn has the unfortunate problems of rubbish, waste, track damage etc. We've seen alot of access restricted on the East Coast due tracks becoming too popular. This may explain some of the reluctance of members to post up Trek Notes of their favorite areas.
Personally I couldn't think of a worse way to travel, punching in a GPS route & following someone elses adventure. Much prefer to research an area & explore off the beaten track to find the hidden treasures myself. Each to their own :-)
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 403695

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 22:49

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 22:49
Hi Craig, sorry to hear about your EC experiences.

Ours could hardly be more different tho. Admittedly as a retiree I avoid PHs like plague. When we go out we rarely see anyone.

In NT Gregory NP no-one had been on the Broadarrow Trk for two weeks (at least from the visitors book) and we didn't see anyone. Likewise when we travelled the Nuytsland and Manning nature reserves. Absolutely no-one, zip zilch and no rubbish either.

And when we travelled the length of the D'entrecasteaux NP two weeks ago, we only saw two vehicles on the tracks themselves (and this is a very long park).

Maybe it's just the WA experience but as far as we can tell (apart from notorious 'close to Perth' destinations) it just seems endlessly empty on the trails.

Treknotes won't change this too much in the near future I'd guess. But I'm happy to share so that others can experience it themselves.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 673236

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:14

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:14
You can get such experinces even close to perth John,

I have some treks marked out from Mundaring weir to both the murray river and Boyagin nature reserve following bush roads and tracks

besides places like Bartons Mill its rare to see other vehicles and even around the murray river once you are out of the main reserve you almost have the place and campsites to yourself on weekdays
FollowupID: 673309

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 13:28

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 13:28
There's a great offtrack walk posted by Dave Osborne on his Perthbushwalks (http://www.walkgps.com/) site Dave.

We walked it last spring and it was just outstanding for the flowers (which were quite a different mix from the usual Darling Scarp area).

I wouldn't mind doing the drive as well.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673341

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:28

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:28
Which one is it?

living in the foothills ive done most of the walks in a booklet I got from the Kalamunda shire.

might start knocking a few off from the website when it cools down and greens up a bit
FollowupID: 673472

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 13:08

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 13:08
Sorry Dave, I was a bit obscure; I meant the Boyagin walk at http://www.walkgps.com/Boyagin%20Rock%20Walk.htm

Most of the walks on the site take about six or so hours as most are mostly off track. You can usually break them into shorter walks as can be done in this case.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673509

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 13:20

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 13:20
ah ok I ve walked around boyagin a bit as well as driven.

Ive got a plot file from mundaring weir to Boyagin which is about 90% dirt if your interested

I spend a bit of time there as its a quick getaway

heres a trip report

boyagen rock trip report
FollowupID: 673510

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 08:56

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 08:56
It’s interesting but I reckon the very nature of the troubled times we live in has promoted a greater degree of domestic Travel. We can be fortunate that we have a huge country with so much arrid interior and yet a relatively small population. Despite this information being readily available on the site, I would suggest it’s still the minority of people who will actually act upon it. Remote outback travel requires the right equipment and mindset. Trek notes are only ever a tool. What the trek notes can do is assist people in making an informed decision about attempting that actual trek. Further benefit can be derived from the forum and avenues such as the Places and blogs.

I’ve noticed a real increase in usage of many of the iconic tracks like the Gunbarrel and the Canning over the past 4 or 5 years and yet the more adventurous side trips like Helena Spring are disappearing due to lack of use. Many of the other ”iconic” outback tracks remain rarely visited. Naturally the ability to explore new areas only appeals to a few because of the higher risks, costs and impacts on man and machine. A lot of the outback is getting locked up in title as well. While this site offers good tools it will only have a minor role to play in encouraging the thousands of travelers who head outback each year when compared to the total number of travelers in general. Besides, as we all know, one driver with poor skills, bad tyres or a heavily laden trailer has the potential to do more damage to an outback track than a convoy of hundreds so overuse doesn’t seem such a big issue.

I haven’t created trek note yet but I always update track condition reports at the first available opportunity as I see this presenting a real time benefit to those who are travelling so perhaps we could encourage better use of the track reporting facilities on the site (which are another great feature for trip planning and safety). My blogs also offer some insight into the countryside and tracks that I travel and hopefully a reasonable accurate account of the conditions to be expected &with no sugarcoating (it’s all fun though isn’t it – bloody tyres!). These are also linked into treks and places now. Besides, I reckon a Trek Note for Joanna Spring would be lucky to get used LOL.
I agree with John & Stephen that this site should be about encouragement and sharing of information to promote travel. Without visitors, many of these outback places will fade from both access and memory and that would be a real loss.

My thoughts. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 403728

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 13:34

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 13:34
Thanks Mick - that's very thoughtful.

I agree with you absolutely about the use of the notes as a planning tool. When I have followed one, I always finish up with my own modifications.

Your blogs are the only reason I have ever contemplated going seriously off-track but every time I think too hard about it I chicken - I'll follow the tracks I think. Latest panel damage is a cautionary tale and that was on the tracks @%**%#.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673343

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:17

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:17
It's not for the feint hearted John that's for sure. It is a baptism of fire. I had the 2pak rubbed of the bullbar edges from three weeks in the scrub the last trip. The spinifex does clean the underneath of the vehicle though.......cleans the paint right off it, plus any loose hoses LOL. I caught a few dings in the panel work as well. One bloody stick did two right the front door/mudguard area. Lucky I didn't loose a side window. Shovel gave the sidew a few whacks on a couple of occassions as it was ripped from it's mounts by the scrub. All good fun though.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673470

Sponsored Links