water and gas monitors

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:40
ThreadID: 75946 Views:2320 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I would just like to know how accurate these water level indicators are I just bought and fitted one from camec it is the oval gauge and its green with a press button to let you know the amount left and I also bought a gas detector that is wired to 12 volt incase we have a gas leakn on the fridge whilst sleeping.

Regards john.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:07

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:07
Hi John

I guess that this water level indicator has a column of LED's which light as the water level increases in the tank. If so then the probe in the tank has a column of contacts which turn on each LED as the water rises. The response of the indicator LED's is precisely to the water level to the probe contacts. Therefore the accuracy of the indicator is as good as your installation of the probe. That is, if the top probe contact is in fact at the top of the tank, then the indicator will show when the tank is full.

Gas detector seems a good idea too.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 403742

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:01

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:01
Just installed a similar one.

The instructions said mount the probe three quarters up the tank.
In that position the full light indicates 3/4 tank, 3/4 light is 9/16, 1/2 light is 3/8, 1/4 light is 3/16.

I mounted mine as high in the tank as I could.

If you're concerned about how accurate it is, empty the tank and check the lights as you fill it. Either measure the water in or time the individual lights to get an idea of the accuracy.
FollowupID: 673319

Follow Up By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:48

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:48
Hi allan,
yes you are spot on,it all makes sence now as I do remember seeing that the probe had a series of metalic contacts on it so that would be how it measures ,and Lex yes true I could do that as the tank is a standard one and I would think it was between 60 and 80 ltrs I have a drain tap on the bottom of our tank and I have fitted a brass hose fitting on it as it seemed easier to fill from the bottom than it is to use the purpose built lockable filler,so measuring was a hassle but I will do it if needed.

Thanks to both for your help as I was a bit concearned.
FollowupID: 673477

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:59

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:59
What brand is the gas detector?
AnswerID: 403748

Follow Up By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:54

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:54
Hi Andrew,
I bought it from Camec and it came in a white box with no markings they told me they only had 2 types and this is what all the vanners use it just has 3 lights on it 1st is a green light says power,2nd not lit says alarm,3rd not lit has a triangle with a ! in it it also says G 3000 and thats it it has no test button and the guy at camec said you hold a lighter to it to test ( no flame just gas )
I hope this helps?
FollowupID: 673481

Reply By: CJ - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 20:26

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 20:26
Why don't you just check it yourself? It is the best thing to do, then you know excactly how much is left when it reads half or quarter

No-one can advise you, it depends on your tank, where your pickup is located, the shape of your tank etc.

Fill it up, and measure in jerries or buckets the amount you syphon out and what the readings are.

CJ
AnswerID: 403804

Sponsored Links