Diesel 4WD Mechanic Reccomendation

Submitted: Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:14
ThreadID: 75967 Views:3075 Replies:5 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Ok, this may or may not be kosher for this forum but I feel the need to give credit where credit due and recommend where warranted. Last couple of days I have had problems with Miss Turtle cutting out and back in again when changing gears, engine would die and only a nursing of throttle clutch would keep it going. All sorts of warnings lights coming up making the console look like a Christmas tree including Check Engine, Service and (possibly the give away) Fuel Filter lights. All of these would go off again after a little while, vehicle would seem ok for a kilometre or 2 and then it would start all over again, getting progressively worse until it would want to completely die and the various lights coming on again.

So, being reluctant to spend another 8 wasteful hours in Isuzu waiting room only to hear that "loss of pressure in the rail, no known cause" is the problem, I took it to Jason at Total Care 4WD (they have a web site) whom I get my car serviced at regularly. He bled the filter and had a look at the fuel, clean as a whistle, no gunk, no water. But then he smelt it. Well, that was the funniest smelling diesel I have ever smelt. Seems the last service station I went to is putting additives in the fuel which could clearly be smelled in the sample taken.

Now, the reason for the post, Jason cleared a spot for me this morning to take it in, himself and 1 of the other mechanics did this first thing taking about a half hour of their time, for 2 people and when it came time to pay, he waved me off. In short, he looked after me. I take it to him for all me servicing as well as other peripheral work I get done and he is always reasonably priced, gives me a loan car and does a first class job first time every time.

For anyone going to the 4x4 show in Queanbeyan this weekend, Jason will have a stand there. He loves to have a chat. Oh, and no, I am simply a customer, I don't have any other affiliation with Total Care 4WD.

Apologies for the lengthy post.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:19

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:19
Always good to get a story about good service. Did they give you any indication as to what the additives were and what they did to the fuel?

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 403878

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:52

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:52
Without proper analysis its hard to tell but Jason seemed to think it could be benzine or thinners, scary thought. I hate to imagine what it's done to the fuel pump. But it DEFINTELY did not have a diesel smell about it.
FollowupID: 673478

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:31

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:31
which fuel company?
FollowupID: 673496

Follow Up By: That Troopy Bloke (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 18:08

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 18:08
In SA, diesel from a certain supermarket/fuel chain smells like it has paint thinners added. It doesn't foam like diesel, and it doesn't smell like diesel. I won't use it.
I won't name the chain...just think 'fresh food' :-)

Cheers
Glenn
FollowupID: 674132

Reply By: jeep cherokee - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:45

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:45
Ton Bon,so nice to hear a good news story like yours, and i TOTALLY agree, give credit when its due.There are fewer of these people out there nowadays and they need to be credited.
I also had a similar hassle with my old XJ Cherokee 2.5 T.D. It would cut out whenever it felt like it and after a lot of messing around, using another service station solved the problem.
AnswerID: 403881

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:54

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:54
It makes me so angry that these places get away with putting crap in the fuel. I have kept every fuel since purchase of the vehicle so if there are any problems as a result of this, I will be fighting hard.
FollowupID: 673480

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:55

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:55
Sorry that was meant to read:

It makes me so angry that these places get away with putting crap in the fuel. I have kept every fuel RECEIPT since purchase of the vehicle etc, etc.
FollowupID: 673482

Follow Up By: jeep cherokee - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:04

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:04
Was it a small independent or one of the big boys ?
FollowupID: 673483

Follow Up By: jeep cherokee - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:05

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:05
Was it a small independent or one of the big boys ?
FollowupID: 673484

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:09

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:09
A small independant near where i live. I normally fill up at a Shell near work but this time i was short on fuel and against better judgement went to the small one. Lesson learnt.
FollowupID: 673485

Follow Up By: jeep cherokee - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:29

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:29
It 's sad that the independent might have resorted to watering down his fuel to make ends meet, or get greedy.However, word of mouth might end up putting him out of business if he does not change his ways.Just wait till he gets taken to court by someone that can prove beyond doubt that his fuel caused major engine damage may be then he will change his ways (or be out of business)
FollowupID: 673489

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:43

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:43
Yes i agree, it is sad they resort to this kind of practice. His diesel is always about 10c a litre cheaperr than the large stations, now i know why. Silly thing is, even if it was the same price i would go there if the fuel was good as it is closer to home. Anywayl, i have a sample of the fuel, the reciept as mentioned earlier and a good mechanic. If that isnt enough to go on if there is permanent damage then i dont know what will be. I will gladly shut the thief down if possible.
FollowupID: 673491

Follow Up By: jeep cherokee - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:11

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:11
Good on you, however lets hope there is no damage,as trying to prove guilt could end up a costly exercise.I had to get my fuel pump rebuilt (over $3000.00) in the Cherokee after using Bio Diesel for just over a year (trying to do the right thing by the enviroment etc) and was advised by the RAA that i would need scientific proof by qualified experts before i could take the matter to court,and even then it could end up costing me an arm and a leg and i might still loose.Had to swallow my pride but have since noticed the dealer is no longer in business :) :) Could'nt have happened to a better person.
FollowupID: 673494

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 15:01

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 15:01
The Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts has an online form for reporting fuel quality

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/complaint.html

It is my sketchy memory that this is definitely illegal and there have been reported successful prosecutions against retailers for selling adulterated fuel
FollowupID: 673526

Reply By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:51

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:51
Hi TonBon

Isnt it great when you see so many positve reports about a company, this one seems to always make the list.

Good to see, cheers

lotzi
AnswerID: 403915

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:53

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:53
Re fuel aditives, I think some tanker drivers are responsible for adding chemicals to tankers on the change over from product to product.

FollowupID: 673523

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 15:10

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 15:10
Absolutely Lotzi and these guys definitely deserve it. Real straight up operators. Thats interesting what you say about the tankers, i am thinking there would be cleaning agents involved to clean the tankers out. Not sure there would be enough though to make a difference in the holding tanks at the servo's. But definitely worth looking into. My father drives long distance trucks, i am sure he wouldf know a few tanker drivers. Cheers.
FollowupID: 673530

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 15:20

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 15:20
Yep Tonbon

You only have to listen to some of the tanker drivers on the radio, how they have to get back to the yard and splash chemical through the tankers to neutralise the last product.

All based on fleet utilisation and KPIs . .

Cheers

FollowupID: 673531

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 08:53

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 08:53
Lotzi,
Don,t blame drivers for what goes in a tanker, They only load what the customer orders.They also only load compatible products on top of what was loaded before or pay big money to have the tank washed out & receive a certificate to prove it was cleaned.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 673641

Follow Up By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 13:19

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 13:19
Hi Dave

I agree with you about the 99% dvrs, but as you know, when you listen to the roy rogers on the radio (in my case Qld), I am a bit suss on some of the operators and their zero care factor. So in the end if they want to sprout about over the radio . . .

All the best

FollowupID: 673686

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 06:37

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 06:37
Great post TonBon... we visited Jason last year with a seized rear brake caliper and he made a spot for us in his busy schedule to carry out the necessary repair so we could continue on our holiday with minimum downtime. A likeable bloke with a fantastic approach to customer service!

Thanks for posting, it's great to read positive comments like this.

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 403995

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 21:25

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 21:25
Tony,
as you know Jason is the creator of TONI, and I spent the weekend with him at the 4WD spectacularly (wet) show at Queanbeyan over the weekend.

When he asked me if I would make TONI available for him to show there, I did not hesitate for even one second to help him out as he is just a nice nice guy & so good at his job.

Quit a few peolple on this forum are his customers, I would be brave enough to say that none of them would have a bad word to say, other than he does his jobs right and that also reflects in his price and some would possibly say he is exspensive. You just know your car is right when you leave his workshop, he has proved this time & time again.
Colin.
AnswerID: 404357

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 08:35

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 08:35
Well said Colin, spot on. When Jason told me he was taking a couple of customers vehicles to the show with him i guessed one of them would be yours. Fantastic bit of work that. Hope all went well and that he got some benefit out of it. I hope everything is going well in your camp as wel.

Tony.
FollowupID: 674079

Sponsored Links