This Thread has been Archived
Saw this interesting article in the CM today

Gordon Field Air Base

Bruce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: True Blue - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:09

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:09
Thanks for the link Bruce.

I am a Melbourne boy (old bugger really) and have never heard of it.

Fascinating stuff indeed. A trip up that way is on our wish list and you have just

given us another area to explore.

Have you visited the area yourself at any stage? We have never been to the Cape and are longing to get there.

Thanks again,

Wayne.
AnswerID: 404041

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:56

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:56
We found it on a trip up there in 2004, my dad was there for a while during WW2 as well as in Darwin setting up Anti Aircraft Guns.

We now live in San Diego but have some properties around Childers and Bundy and I am over 3-4 times a year on business.

on our trip up there we were mainly looking at the cycad locations (Zamia Palms) went out to Tinnaroo, Mt Surprise, Kidson, Robinhood, Kurumba across to Gamboola then up to Kimba across to Iron Range, Lockhart out to Weipa, Bramwell and out to the Olive River, up to the top and back to Silver Plains, Lakefield, Cape Melville and down the Bloomfield Track.

It was agreat trip and well worth the effort.

Bruce
FollowupID: 673701

Follow Up By: True Blue - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 15:07

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 15:07
Thanks Bruce.

It must have meant a great deal to you personally to visit Gordon Field and to just sit and contemplate what it must have been like for your father on that site at that time during WW2.

My dad was also in the RAAF and was stationed at Lae, PNG. He did tell us a few very short stories but we really had to pry it out of him. He saw many bad things on the beaches that haunted him until his death at the age of 61.

Certainly we will put the Gordon field on our must visit list.

Was it very difficult to get into the area of the field ?

Wayne.
FollowupID: 673703

Sponsored Links