caution required at river crossings

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 19:11
ThreadID: 7601 Views:1699 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G,day all,
Another tragic story to come out of west australia tonight when a Jeep cherokee was pushed downstream by the current during a river crossing resulting in tragedy for the two kids in the back seat.For many people who havn't crossed too many rivers or streams it makes you wonder how much resistance is on a five metre vehicle when the river is flowing even moderately.Taller and narrow vehicles like troop carriers may be more at risk.Should windows be down during such a crossing or is this an admission that i might lose the vehile here as its risky.If in doubt do you not cross or just test your insurance if it doesn't work out.If in a convoy who goes first if its flowing.So many factors come in such as flow rate,weight of vehicle,vehicle lift etc which make river crossings areas of high caution.

mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DODO(thanks harry) - Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 20:31

Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 20:31
gday marcus.
we heard about that tonight on the news.
what a shame two young lives gone.
i heard the parents left the kids in the car while trying to get it out then it got washed away.Raphus cucullatus
AnswerID: 32780

Reply By: Member - Rick - Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 21:49

Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 21:49
just caught a glimpse of this on the 7.30 news break. such a tragic loss of life.
i'm sure i speak for all who use this forum when i say......our condolences to the family.

rick.ahh, the joys of the great outdoors!!!
AnswerID: 32786

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 23:08

Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 23:08
It said on the news the parents jumped out as it moved....you wouldnt have thought they would have walked the water crossing either, it just doesnt seem like something one would do on a bitumen rd...such a tragedy, never take anything for grantedLaterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 32796

Reply By: UB.1 - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 22:51

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 22:51
Yes it is a tragedy which makes one wonder if the driver had actually undertaken any 4WD training so s/he would know how to handle a river crossing. This incident hasn't done anything to help the reputation of recreational 4Wders and will probably be used against us by those "do-gooders" who want to ban 4WDs.

Its another argument for ensuring everyone we know with a 4WD knows how to handle the vehicle in all situations through good training.

My condolences to the family.
AnswerID: 32938

Sponsored Links