which hilux?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:18
ThreadID: 76035 Views:8954 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hello

ive decided to get myself a hilux, 4runner or hilux surf probly a 1991 to a 1996 model. i plan to use it as a daily driver as well as off road and possibly towing every pancake tuesday. i dont want to spend heaps. the main reason i wanted a hilux is because i wanted somthing simple, no fuss and tough as nails. but after reading up on various engines available in these hilux models im not quite as sure a hilux can deliver the reliability i thought it could.the surfs are widely avalible with the 2.4td (2LT), but ive heard they have problems with the fuel pump(aussie diesel kills em) and are a pain to get parts for. The 4runner have the 4cyl petrol which probly lacks the grunt so id go for the 3.0 v6 (3vz) but apparently they have issues with overheating. then theres the 2.8 diesel (3L) in the regular hilux which seems like a sturdy donk but probly again lacking grunt. im probly leaning toward a 4runner with a 3vz now, but i am interested to hear any info or insights anyone might have about these hilux's in regaurds to their reliability or anything really.

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fisho64 - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 03:42

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 03:42
dont buy the 3.0 V6 under any circumstance except if the motor is already cactus and you are going to swap to a 3.8 V6 or similar.

They are very thirsty for not much power, notorious for blowing heads, and not good for much.
AnswerID: 404268

Follow Up By: V64Runner - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 17:30

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 17:30
The 3.0 litre V6 had a cylinder head problem when they first came out. In fact it wasnt so much a cylinder head problem , rather a head gasket problem, and mine was one of hundreds/thousands that were factory recalled and fitted with a different type of head gasket. That solved the problem, and to date have never had any probems with the motor. As for overheating never heard of that problem either. Mine is a 95 4Runner with a 113000 km on the clock, and the clutch is beng replaced as I type this, partly due to the thrust bearing making some expensive sounding noises. First time the box has been out. The next mod I`m doing is to have the 1UZ Lexus V8 fitted with the auto gearbox, so that I can tow a decent sized camper trailer. Granted the 3V-ZE engine is horriby underpowered, and has a thirst like a camel, hence the reason for going to direct injection LPG.

However my advice is stay away from the 2.4 and 2.8 Surf diesels as they are prone to head cracking . The 3.0litre turbo diesel is a different kettle of fish and very reliable - I know as my son has one and its never let him down
FollowupID: 674010

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 00:03

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 00:03
Surf never came out with a 2.8 (3L).
2.8's have stood the test of time though gutless, same with the 2.4 as the problem with the 2.4 surf was only in the imported 2LT motor not the NA.
2.8 was never supplied as a turbo from factory.

i think you'll find that the head/gasket problem is still a common one on V6's
FollowupID: 674069

Reply By: Madfisher - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 13:44

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 13:44
Fuzz I had the 22r (ohc 2.4 petrol) which was a great vehicle but a bit low geared for long distance cruising and underpowered for towing my 4.2 m boat. The 22 r are extremely long lived with the item needing replacement being the timing chain at about 250000ks, after which they will do that again. They do go better then the 2.8 na diesel. We had a 93 nh Paj at the same time(wifes) which killed the runner off road, much better traction.
When it come time to replace the runner, the best value vehicle by far with the best power to weight ratio was the 3.5 v6 Jack. The Jack is quicker up hills towing my boat then the runner was empty. And it burns about 1l100 more fuel.
So far after covering 57000ks the Jack has been more trouble free then the runner was. Only major expenses have been a inlet manifold gasket and timing belt at 150000ks.
You can pick up very good 3,2 Jacks with less then 200000ks for about $6000. The 3.1 td is also a very good engine but the latter 3lt diesel is a complete dud with lots of issues,This engine alone gave Jacks a bad name.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 404307

Follow Up By: Fuzz. - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:16

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:16
thanks all, very helpfull.
seems to me the 22R is the only rock solid reliable option within my price range, or another make. how was the 22R on fuel? ive seen a couple of land cruiser bundera with the 22R, think that might be the go.
FollowupID: 674065

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 14:04

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 14:04
Hi Fuzz,
best I ever done was done the hume loaded up with camping gear 11/100 siting on 110(which was 100 corrected on the gps) Normal short trips (50ks) and around town about 23mpg. And 19 to 22mpg towing my boat. Sorry about the mpg but that's how I worked it out then .
Don't forget to check out the 3.2 v6 Jacks, in my opinion same price and a better vehicle in regard to power and comfort. The 3.2s are good for at lest 400000ks if serviced regurally.,
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 674104

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:29

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:29
Have you looked at other dual cabs? For the price of a 1996 Hilux you could get a later model rodeo, navara, courier etc. I haven't heard many bad things about the rodeo, built by Isuzu who are the largest manufacturers of small diesel engines in the world.
AnswerID: 404335

Follow Up By: dave-345 - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:55

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:55
Hi I'm a motor mechanic stay away from the surfs as they crack heads and overheat. By the time you realise your motor has over heated your up for 8000 plus.
I own a 1998 toyota Hi lux dual cab. which has the 5L motor, which is a 3Ltr diesel. My has over 240,000 on the clock and it has not missed a beat. I've owned it for 6 years. Not much has gone wrong with it, just wear and tear.
I would recommand one, but you can get the turbo model farily cheap now, you just have to make sure it has been serviced every 5000km's.
Thanks
Dave.
FollowupID: 674024

Reply By: Wherehegon - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:55

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:55
Wouldnt touch any of the surfs, rust (major issue) check out the size of the radiator compared to our hilux's/4 runners, one of the main reasons for over heating, personally any of the hilux's sold here in Aus (still imported but designed for aussi conditions) are great vehicles. The 2.8D tough as nails providing they have had 5k oil changes or they will go bang, useless for towing if you want to do the speed limit but off road brilliant low range the solid front ends are the best for wheel travel, ifs ok but had week diffs, the V6 four runners, head issues on the first of them but would have been rectified by now, thirsty 400/450k per tank, and really quit gutless for a V6, never heard of overheating issues just early head gasket issue, personally I wouldnt have one. The 2.4 petrol is also a bit heavy on fuel and HATE water if playing in mud or water is your thing. As mentioned above have a look at the rodeo's very reliable, great on fuel (t/diesel), the only thing I didnt like about them when looking was the high reving at freeway speeds 3400 at 110k in 5th, but surprisingly still economical 8/9L per 100k. Pajeros cheap, not bad on fuel tow well, similiar in design to 4 runner, the 3 litre V6 was a tough old thing but would have a few k's on them now so you would need to try a find one with lower klm's heaps around mostly used for school/shopping trips, the RV6 prado or the RV2.7p might be in your price range ?? V6 thirsty like the 4 runners, 2.7 go great quit a strong motor and if serviced well will get very high klms out of the motors, DONT put on LPG or guarantee the valve stem seals will go, the 2.7 only has the one tank 90L but the RV6 has 2, the 2nd been a 69L. Regards Steve
AnswerID: 404379

Reply By: Rodge - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 22:34

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 22:34
Hi Fuzz.
I owned a 92 Hilux with 2.8L diesel from new for 15 years. Fantastic vehicle - 340000km, never a problem, ultra reliable and economical. I changed oil and oil filter (Z9 - cheap as) every 5000km - this is vital. Check the service record.You wouldn't win many races at the traffic lights but it would cruise at the speed limit if you really wanted it to.
Cheers, Rodge
AnswerID: 404491

Reply By: baldman - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 23:29

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 23:29
I've got a 91 4runner with the 3vze v6 motor matched to an auto gear box, if you want a drag car then don't buy a 4runner buy a commodore.

Whilst it is not the fastest thing on 4 wheels it does 110kmph comfortably and fully loaded I can get about 420 kms from the 60 lt tank.

I have mine matched up with a set of extractors with a high flow cat and a full 2"" exhaust system, sitting on 32" muddies most of the time.

If you get a runner get one that has already had the timing belt done as they are prone to having the pulley and bearing seize on the dummy housing cover and it this happens you are up for about $$$$.

If you get an auto and plan on towing or doing a lot of sand work you would also want to fit an after market tranny fluid cooler.

Parts are getting more an more difficult to get and forget about sourcing parts from wreckers as they send any they get staright to auction.

If you plan on goind ballistic and want to go exxtreme 4wding get a solid axle hilux instead as from about 89 they strated going to IFS suspension.

Overall I love mine with all its faults and am on the look out for a new body to swap all my goodies over.

For a tourer with good off road capabilities they are a pretty good unit.
AnswerID: 404500

Sponsored Links