Selecting low range in 2009 Prado

Submitted: Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 15:08
ThreadID: 76044 Views:5970 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

A question for Prado owners ...
Is it true that you can only engage low range after stopping and selecting park, in this year model? If I stop, foot on the brake, select neutral, it is impossible to select low range without the gears grinding, yet if I'm in park and select low range, it selects smoothly with no grinding. In the manual it states that low range can be selected when in neutral, and that's the way it worked on my 03 model. I've never heard of this before on the Prados.

Has anyone had this same experience with the 09 model? Is the service guy correct, or is he pulling my chain and I need to explain the meaning of life to him.

Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 15:19

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 15:19
Hi Not sure on prado's , but my mates Pathfinder is the same, we were halfway up a hill and he went to select low range and no go, but after putting it in park with the handbrake on to check it out , it went straight in ??
No mention of this in his handbook,
maybe the same with the Prado,
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 404317

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 16:10

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 16:10
My 105s were the same had to be in park (4 speed auto)

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 404322

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:25

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:25
If the service guy says it needs to be in park, and you can't get it into low range if it isn't in park. Well it seems the service guy is correct?
AnswerID: 404334

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:39

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:39
I am assuming you are talking about the 120 Prado. Not the new 150. I will reply for both vehicles

120 Prado
The information is incorrect. You can select LR in neutral or park but in an auto preferably stopped. If you try selecting LR in neutral and still moving you have a good chance of breaking something. A good 4Wdriver will select the correct gear and range before ascending or descending something

150 Prado
With the move to electronic selection of LR and the use of a rotary selector along the same lines as the LC200 then you must be stopped and in neutral

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 404336

Follow Up By: Bazza - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:49

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:49
Thanks RobA,

Yes it is the 120. After further investigation, it seems that this issue is not uncommon. Some guys are unable to shift to LR in neutral, others can. All can shift from park. In all situations, the vehicle is stopped when this is tried.

I think there may be a problem with the mapping of the auto transmission. Mine increases revs when in neutral, not in park. This would cause a meshing problem. I will take it up with Toyota, as the service tech originally told me that it was a safety procedure, and it had to be in park.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Bazza
FollowupID: 674086

Follow Up By: Bazza - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:41

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:41
G'day all,

After further investigation, I have determined that temperature has something to do with this. It's either oil or component temperature, or a combination of both, that causes this to happen. When the 120's at normal operating temperature ( after driving it home from work ) it will change to LR from both park or neutral, with no effort and no gear grinding, but it's left to go cold, gear grinding from neutral comes back and only changing to LR from park is possible.

Still very strange, as this never happened in the 03 model. I will be speaking to Toyota about it and will post the outcome.

Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 674214

Sponsored Links