Border Track advice over Easter

Hi All,

We're planning a trip from Melbourne to the Border Track (S.A./Vic. border that is) over the Easter break.

I've read the trek notes, and a number of blogs regarding this, and also understand there is a part that is one way.

However, from what I have read different people go either in a north or south direction.

I would expect more vehicles on this track over Easter than would normally be the case. So I think it might be wise to 'go with the flow' rather than against it and have to pass by oncoming vehicles.

My question is, for those that have travelled this track, especially at the more popular times, is there a generally preferred direction of travel - north to south, or vice versa ?

Appreciate any advice. FYI, I'm driving a TD 100 series Cruiser, towing a Kimberley Kamper, with a couple of other vehicles in our group.

Cheers, Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mechpete - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:18

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:18
only travel north to south .
hate to think what would happen if you met a vehicle coming over a dune
mechpete
AnswerID: 404821

Follow Up By: Mark B - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:41

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:41
Thanks Mechpete,
Yep, have a sand flag. And seems you're with most re North to South.
Cheers, Mark.
FollowupID: 674557

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:26

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:26
Hi Mark, as a rule we prefer to restrict access to the Vic's, but I'm sure we can make an exception for an EO member, LOL.

Track on the border is one way south from Scorpion Springs to Pertendi Track, and its 2-way south of that section. Centre track and I think everything else is 2 way. One way track is where the challenges are.

Personally I like staying at Pertendi Hut campsite. From there a good days drive is north on Centre Track and circuit around to one way section (lunch at Scorpion Springs perhaps) then south and back to Pertendi.

Other way we've done it is pick up pass from Pinnaroo and drive the one way section and out of park via Shaugh Track and home to Adelaide or wherever -easy weekend trip / stay half way at Gums campsite.

Or, stay at Red Bluff then out along flat easy Red Bluff Track through to Big Desert and into Wyperfield, or back to Melbourne.

I haven't done Baan Hill side after fire a few years ago. Mate did it last year. Said it was very good so don't discount that either.

Ngarkat is a very enjoyable park for us - hope it works for you too. Cheers
AnswerID: 404825

Follow Up By: Mark B - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:43

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:43
Thanks jdwynn,
Happy to take your approval to travel the track :)
Appreciate your advice - all good info. Will have to get out the map and work it through.
Cheers, Mark.
FollowupID: 674560

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 23:14

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 23:14
"we prefer to restrict access to the Vic's"
You certainly do!!! Obviously your overenthusiastic SA Park Ranger has not grasp the concept of tourism as he closes the track for summer (just days before the Melb Cup weekend) then again in winter when it gets too wet. At least there are plenty of good challenging tracks open just over the fence :-)
Cheers Craig..................
FollowupID: 674564

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 23:39

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 23:39
Howdy Craig, interesting you say that - Dept intended to close the park to 4wd's a few years ago. I understand the biannual maintenance by the clubs has helped somewhat, so it could be worse. Summer issue obviously fire risk - had a terrible affect on the park (and Bid Desert/ Wyperfield). I did one way track section on a really wet weekend in June 04. Park was so green - beaut.
Actually you don't hear too many doing a circuit incorporating both sides very often. In 07, we came in on Shaugh Track, then Red Bluff, Netting fence (Wyperfield), Chinaman Well, Cactus Bore (Big Desert), had showers at Pinnaroo, then Border Track, Pertendi (camped), and then Centre Track and home. Brilliant long weekend. Some challenging stuff along Cactus Bore also.

Cheers
FollowupID: 674569

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 16:57

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 16:57
The closure policy for the Border track is rediculous & not consistant with other similar tracks in the area. While there has been several significant fires of late, the risk is no greater than many others nearby which remain open. The timing of the closure before the Cup weekend is often well before any real fire danger suggesting it's just in place to cut the number of 4x4's. While I can appreciate Parks efforts to minimise the relatively small amount of track damage cars have mafe over the years it all faded into insignificance when they plowed in the huge fire breaks that were up to 100m wide!
We've been doing the full loop around Wyperfeld, Pink Lakes, Cactus Bore & Red Bluff for years & as you say there are some quite challenging sections of sand in there, in fact we'll probably be taking the Jeep Club around this Easter.
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 674642

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 17:04

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 17:04
Craig, correct me if I'm wrong, I thought winter closure only on Vic side (clayey Nhill Murrayville Rd). I can't remember closure on SA side?? Cheers
FollowupID: 674644

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 19:47

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 19:47
The Murrayville road is closed after local heavy rain & reopened when the conditions allow. Have driven the road years ago in the wet & was near impossible to stay on the crown. Car looked like your rigpic :-)
My understanding of the Border track was the one way section was closed during the wet for extended periods. That may have changed but haven't travelled there lately during winter to confirm. We often headed over for Cup weekend as the 4 days made it worth the drive but the devil closes it a couple of days before :-(
Cheers Craig................
FollowupID: 674672

Sponsored Links