The remote Gwenneth Lakes - Any info please

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:18
ThreadID: 76139 Views:2585 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
There is a dearth of information concerning the Gwenneth Lakes and the oil camp in the area. A search of this site and Google has proved fruitless. Gwenneth Lakes are situated in the Great Sandy Desert approximately 150 kilometers north of Kunawarritji and 155 kilometers west of Well 44 on the Canning. It’s south of not much at all other than a goodly distance SSE of Joanna Spring. The area is accessed via old survey lines from the Wapet Track and then the Koop Hills. It is marked on the Hema GDT NW sheet.

Is anyone familiar with the area or visited over past years. I’m particularly interested in the location of any bores out that way. I presume there to be at least one or two water bores at the Gwenneth Oil Camp site. Also most keen to hear of bores in and around Koop Hills and north along the old lines towards Traves Cliffs & Joanna Spring. Any info greatly received.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andy - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:28

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:28
we have been at Gwenneth Lakes in 2006. The bore there seemed to be dry and there was no water along the whole track. Up to Koop Hills the track was in many parts heavily washed out and overgrown with many detours. From Koop Hills to the Lakes the track was quite decent running through burnt out country. Dense Spinifex coverage did discourage as to search for old survey lines at the Lakes
If there would not have been a party of several cars going through before us we would have returned before reaching the Lakes.

Cheers
Andy
AnswerID: 404846

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 17:57

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 17:57
Mick,

I was hoping you would get more responses on this one - I am also interested in this place.
Looks like its too far 'off road' as defined in thread 76096.

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405066

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 18:21

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 18:21
Cheers Phil. It's one of those treks that will disappear in time. Will send you an MM re same. Can't believe how little there is on it on the net full stop!

Regards. Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 674782

Reply By: Member - John R (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 22:14

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 22:14
Hi Mick, not directly related to your query, but this map doesn't show any well in that area, though NatMap has a "mine" marked at the lakes. Can send you the full document if of any interest, it has Lat/Longs of the wells.

Cheers, John

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 405109

Sponsored Links