Jayco Outback Vs Tent trailers

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 16:53
ThreadID: 7615 Views:4445 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the new Jayco Outback campers. The guy at the Leisurefest in Melbourne reckoned that are "bloody strong" but they did not look as strong as other tent campers like the Trak Shak, O'Briens or Kanga. There are similarly priced and if they were as tough and had good ground clearance and wheel travel, then I reckon they would be a bargain. Inside they look much more homely than a tent camper and I could get my wife away more often I reckon.
Could I take the Jayco on trips like Cape York OTL and through rivers and hundreds of corrugated roads? That is my question really.
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 19:25

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 19:25
Would you take a caravan to those places?
Jayco's are built the same as caravans on the inside.

Cheers
AnswerID: 32833

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 19:46

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 19:46
HI Andrew
We had an Jayco Eagle off road model on order and if you go back through the forum you will see I asked about them on here and some of the comments on the Jayco's wern't good. Of corse the salesman is going to tell you how "Bloody strong" they are. He has too! We paid our deposit and all, and then we had a look at a Jayco first hand that had been up north and oh boy, what a mess. We then cancelled our order for the Jayco, lost our deposit on the Jayco, and next week we pick up our new Kanga Camper from Wodonga. The reports we had on the Kanga were brilliant. I don't think the Jayco's are built for the rough and tough stuff and I heard alot about the wiring in them, how the mattresses go mouldy from being right up against the canvas and also how the cuboards vibrate off. Now, when I have looked at the Kanga they are alot stronger, yeah not as nice as the Jayco, but hey, it's going to last alot longer than the Jayco. Look, people have probly had good runs from the Jayco's but we need it to last, not fall apart first trip. Each to their own, but I think we made a very wise decision. Hope this helps Andrew......
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 32836

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 19:53

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 19:53
Thanks Karen
Confirms my thoughts really. I was looking at the picture of the camper trying to work out what it was before I read your response. I guess that in a week or so you will have a new photo with a new Kanga Camper behind your car. I think we will stick to a proper camper and not be seduced by the pretty girl - the Jayco. LOL.
Andrew
FollowupID: 23472

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 21:47

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 21:47
I have to change that photo next week when we pick up our new camper. We sold that camper about 6 weeks ago, that was an old 1986 cub model, but we had some fun in that one too!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can send me your email address I can send you some photos of the new Kanga when we get it next week if you would like. I'm sure we will be taking plenty of it as soon as it arrives.
Kind regards
Karen

PS. Have you got a camper at the moment?Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 23483

Follow Up By: Andrew - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:21

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:21
We don't have a camper at the moment but we went away with some people who did have one. They have about two hours per day more sitting around drinking coffee than we did with our touring tent and all the rest. Three kids have a lot of gear and helping pack up their bedding and clothes everyday is........tedious. The camper looked so much quicker so at the moment we are saving.
Send me some pics of your new camper - it will may be very jealous. When you asked me to send my email address, I thought it was going to be so you could send me your details so we could borrow the camper...LOL.... just wishful thinking.
Andrew
FollowupID: 23498

Follow Up By: Andrew - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:23

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:23
........ and that email address is mcdfamily@bigpond.com
(was away with the fairies dreaming about a camper falling into our laps and forgot to post it).
Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 23499

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 16:33

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 16:33
Why don't you try to hire a couple of different models for weekend trips to compare them defore you buy.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 32891

Follow Up By: Andrew - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 21:28

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 21:28
That might be the go. I am going to the 4x4 show in Melbourne and I might be able to organize a couple to hire. It will take me a while to get the $$$$ together anyway so hiring might be the go. Might get a nice second hand one with a bit of luck.
Andrew
FollowupID: 23528

Reply By: UB.1 - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 22:30

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 22:30
Hello all

I have a Cub Supamatic off road. Its our second. The first was wrecked in Darwin on our big trip by a drongo who drove through a give way sign. We spent 3 months going up the centre and down the west coast with a 13 and 10 year old and found it far easier than tenting. It was also a lot cleaner than the soft top tent campers to set up and pack up; and a lot faster too. With a soft top you get very dusty/muddy removing the cover and refitting it. With a hard top you don't. If its really wet - 4 inches is the deepest we've been caught in - you stay dry as you're off the ground. The Cub isn't perfect but can be made so and it has a lot more room than most. Its basic construction is very good but some of the internal cupboards are a little flimsy. Its also light 740Kg fully loaded for 3 weeks.

On the October long weekend in the Snowy Mts, we had no trouble with river and mud crossings while 2 others got bogged. The 60 80 and 100 series were impressed. We tow with a 2003 NP Pajero turbo diesel but previously used a 1993 NH V6 3L without problems.

The 2 main questions you need to decide on are; soft or hard top ( no contest - hard top every time); inside or outside kitchen ( both have advantages depending upon temperatures). We set up camp and have the kettle on in 5 minutes flat. If we want the full annexe that takes another 15 minutes. Its not worth it unless we're stopping a few nights.

Happy hunting
AnswerID: 32933

Reply By: Glen from Tough Country Off Road Campers P/L - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:35

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:35
Hi Andrew, Beging a manufactor of off road campers I am some-what bias but I do alot of camping with my family of 4 and friends who own a Jayco eagle and one used to own a dove . All have their fors and against's just take your time and talk to as many campers (experienced) as you can or as suggested hire a few first that will really help you. If you are coming to 4x4 show in Melbourne which starts on the 23rd October come along and say hello Just look for Tough Country Off Road Campers it would be great to have a chat with you Cheers

Glen
AnswerID: 33307

Sponsored Links