Great Ocean road

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 18:42
ThreadID: 76184 Views:2640 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Am off in 3 weeks to do the GOR. Do I need to book spots in a van park in March or is it ok just to turn up.

Is there many spots to free camp. I'm self sufficient so it wont be a prob.

Is there any spots (Other then the well known stuff) that I shouldnt miss.

Am going to end up in the Coorong and come up the Murray to Euchuca.

I've got about 3 weeks to do it so I'm gonna take my time and do it slow especially when i hit the Murray lol

Cheers Wilko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: charlie brown - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:35

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:35
hi wilko
if you arrive in the area after the long weekend you should be right
good camping in the otway np
heps on the Murray river
AnswerID: 405077

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:50

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:50
Thanks Charlie.
FollowupID: 674847

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:53

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:53
Hmmm ..... we have spent a lot of weeks over many years exploring the Otways. I suppose <15% of our time would be on the GOR itself - the rest up in the ranges that run // to the coast. There are lots of places to camp off the road. The spinal route is the Mt Sabine Rd, with many tracks connecting to the coast, some of which are closed seasonally. Then further to the west nearer Cape Otway there are tracks to both the N of the GOR and to the S, the former up to Beech Forest - eg, Settlement Rd/Wait a While Rd/Young Creek Rd with Triplet Falls - and to the S to the Cape itself. Again, many places to camp. At Apollo Bay itself, there is the Barham River Rd and Wild Dog Rd, both are favourites with us. The top end of Cobden Rd is surrounded by forest as it drops down to the plains below from Lavers Hill. A walk in Melba Gully is well worth the time. Suggest you buy the Otways 4WD Touring Guide Map, 2nd Edition. Note - the area has a high annual rainfall and heavy rain will result in many tracks becoming impassible, as will strong winds bringing down trees. You might have a few days left to get to the Coorong/Murray and back to Echuca ;-)
Enjoy
Andrew
AnswerID: 405082

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:52

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:52
Thanks Andrew,

Have noted those places down and will be visiting for sure.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 674848

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 20:43

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 20:43
Hi Wilko,
camps 5 book will be a great help for you, but we didn't mind this spot on the way along the GOR. It was a freeby too.!

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

cheers Unc
AnswerID: 405089

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:53

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:53
Thanks Unc,

That looks like a great spot.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 674849

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 08:50

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 08:50
Hi Wilko,

Aire River west has been drained 4 days ago.That is the entrance to the ocean has been opened and most of the water there has gone. This leaving mud banks where there once was almost a lake. Nowhere near as nice to camp at now. Stay at Johanna river. (take the red road and not the blue)

Blanket Bay has about 25 sites but not suitable for a caravan. (you did not mention if you were taking one) It has low branches and very windy roads in the campsite.

In Princtown stay in the camping ground/ sports oval rather than the caravan park. Cheaper, bigger and has level ground. ($15/night)

If towing a van many of the 12 Apostles, do not have facility to turn around.

Try not to be at the beginning of the Great Ocean Rd, (that is where the sign is) at 10.30am as this is the main time for tour coaches. They are in a hurry and will make driving much harder and less enjoyable in the GOR. (not their fault, they have a roster to keep). You will also be sharing the kodak spots will millions of tourists.

Just before the Cape ottway lighthouse entrance road (4 km) is a rain forest walk.This is a must. Allow 40minutes forth is.

You will enjoy the trip and have fun.
FollowupID: 674863

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 14:46

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 14:46
Thanks Carl,

Have written that down.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 674905

Follow Up By: Mad Cowz (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 17:43

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 17:43
Make sure you have insect repellant for the aire river camping grounds, no fires allowed on the west side but they are on the east.
Blanket bay is a nice spot off the cape otway road, there are also 2 other spots off the blaket bay road accessed by a gateway on the right, one has facilities, the other hasn't.

MadCowz
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 674939

Reply By: The roadrunner - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 21:18

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 21:18
The camps 5 book is great we sell it at BCF in Warrnambool, which way you coming from its a great road and there are some great roads and towns just of the ocean road if you traveling a little further weast there is a grat and cheap no its not free about $20 a night at Yambuk
AnswerID: 405096

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:56

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:56
Thanks Roadrunner,

Am keen to get off the beaten track into the lesser known spots.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 674852

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 22:15

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 22:15
Wilko, the GOR will be busy during any holiday period. Some people do most of the length in one day, but they don't realise how much enjoyment can be gained in camp spots.Places like Blanket Bay, Johanna Beach are great, just off the main road. Others are mentioned elsewhere in the responses.

There are other camp spots in the Otways too, that are good, but are in Camps 5 as mentioned elsewhere. Camps 5 is available in many places, but you can search Otway camp sites through Google or other search engines.

Caravan parks will be busy at holiday times but usually have spaces if you stop early.
AnswerID: 405110

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:55

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:55
Thanks John,

I'll grab a Camps 5 this morning.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 674850

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 08:46

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 08:46
Wilko, keep your eye out for Koalas along the road to Cape Otway. We saw lots of them this time last year.
If you do the Otway Fly, allow a few hours.

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum is well worth a visit too. Lots of great info about all the shipwrecks along the coast.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405148

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 17:12

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 17:12
Thanks Dave

I've added these to my list.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 674933

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:21

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:21
Hi Wilko,
There are some beautiful spots I could send you to. The Apollo Bay tourist info centre can tell you the same places. Beauchamp Falls, Mariners fallsTriplet falls, Some are very long walks. Turtons track is a beautiful drive,
The Glow-worms at Melba Gully at night are lovely but you must be quiet or they turn off the glow!
I could go on for ages.
However, over the past 13 years the DSE have been going to do burnoffs, it hasn't happened!! They say that it will be March this yr. Starting next week.
I hate to spoil your plans but if they do finally go ahead???? , they got a fright with Marysville last yr( and rightly so!!!!) They will be holding fuel reduction burns all through the Otways. if they do what they say. Debatable???!!! Haven't done before! and they have to have correct weather conditions, it could be unpleasant.
March is usually the best time to see the GOR in our opinion.
The GOR could be closed by smoke, The section between Lavers Hill and Chapple Vale which is a beautiful drive is on the burn list.
If you do drive the GOR be sure to keep to your side of the road. Overseas tourists come out here and drive on the wrong side, despite the signs.
Must fly. I'll get back to your with the shire phn. no. tomorrow.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye Ma (Sally)
AnswerID: 405171

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 14:34

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 14:34
Back again Wilco,
Easter weekend on GOR. and in the Otways is bedlam.
Most places will be already booked. People from Colac have the same spots every year in places like Aire River Camp ground and Princetown. Blanket Bay is the same. Peterborough has a C/P near river and sea fishing same as Princetown.
I have some old information but you can get the same from Lorne tourist info centre & Apollo bay. Ring them, they may be able to fax what you want to you so's you can have a look now. These centres are full during holz.
Also ring Department of Conservation Forests and Land. Name may have changed.
83 Gellibrand Street Colac 3250, 03 52315799. and Apollo Bay 03 52376889, these were 1981. They can send you all the camping areas in advance as far as Parks info & camps with good info & maps on pamphlets. Saves waiting for ages in the tourist centres. Otway Shire Colac 03 52329400. for burn off areas and if other numbers are old. Send me a member message if you get into strife.
Colac C.F.A. SHOULD know of where burnoffs maybe going to be done etc.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye Ma(Sally)
AnswerID: 405192

Follow Up By: Wilko - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 14:52

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 14:52
Hi Sally,

Thanks for all that info, Its going to help immensely.

Cheers Wilko

FollowupID: 674908

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma.(Sally) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 16:48

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 16:48
Back again Wilko,
I don't know where you want to start or finnish on the GOR. I'm glad I could be of some help.
Have a great trip.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye, Ma (Sally)
AnswerID: 405212

Sponsored Links