Diesel motor cutting out

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 19:04
ThreadID: 76212 Views:5342 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

The Jackaroo has been running really well since the injector problem was repaired, I have done about 6000km since then and all has been well.... till Thursday.

Coming home from work, Mrs Bushwhacker rang me to say the Jackaroo had just stopped, the motor, I mean. No coughing, spluttering, no noises, no nothing, just no go. The motor just went 'dead' She rang me a couple of minutes later, before I could go to help her, to say it had started and she was on her way home again.

I had a look when she got home, couldn't see anything obvious, so put it down to one of those things.

But, same thing happened when I was driving it yesterday. Sitting at a red light and the motor just stopped. Put the hazards on, looked at the line up behind me, thought 'Oh crap', turned the key, and away it went, all before the light turned green.

Any thoughts, anyone? Car has nearly 1/2 a tank of fuel, the day was not particularly hot (on either day), car has been running perfectly before the event, and is running fine at the moment. Probably done 250-300 kms since I filled up, so don't think its dodgy fuel, but a fuel lock, maybe? Blocked breather at the tank, or fuel filler cap? I'm at a loss and throw myself at your feet!

Any assistance greatly appreciated. 3.0 TD motor, thanks, Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 19:43

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 19:43
Sounds electrical to me.
Do they have any wires going to the fuel pump? If they have bad connections it may shut down the fuel.

I doubt its any kind of fuel blockage,they usually slow the engine down or cause it to run bad before it dies.

AnswerID: 405240

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 19:59

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 19:59
Thanks for that, Ross, it got my head away from thinking only about fuel. Sure it could be the electrical side of the fuel supply, will check

Cheers, Dave
FollowupID: 674951

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 19:50

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 19:50
Dave,
Couple of thoughts.

If you suspect fuel feed problems It'd be cheap to just change the filter.

It wouldn't do any harm to run around without the filler cap for a week or two either.

At least you'll have made a start and maybe even fix it!

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405244

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:03

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:03
G'day Geoff

It's due for service about now, so will do the fuel filter for sure, thanks for the thoughts.

When I got home today, I opened the fuel cap expecting to hear air getting sucked into the tank, indicating that the tank was not breathing, but it didn't happen, opened as normal.

Cheers, Dave
FollowupID: 674952

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:18

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:18
Just got me thinking of a truck we had many years ago, it did the same sort of thing for ages, noone could figure it out till they took out the tank and found an old piece of cloth and apparently it was getting sucked into the intake then when the motor stopped it would float free.

Anyhow that was probably 50 years ago.
AnswerID: 405251

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:44

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:44
Hi Notso

Not long after I bought the Jackaroo, it started missing. On the way to finding the real problem, we found water and algae in the fuel filter, I reckon the log book was dodgy. Anyway, the tank was drained and cleaned, along with the rest of the fuel system, so I hope there is no rag left behind in there. That was nearly 12 months ago, so probably not.

Made me laugh though!

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 674958

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 23:23

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 23:23
Dave

Diesel motors have a cut off if the oil is low. This will just cut the motor off dead. Once the oil can drain back to the sump a bit you will be able to restart. Depending on the slope you are on or how many revs you are doing could affect this.

You would have to be a lot low on oil.Check you oil.Check your oil pressure while running. It will naturally drop down when idling.

I had a problem with an oil bypass valve getting stuck at one stage. Easy fix. On a landcruiser there are two oil bypass valves.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405297

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 07:37

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 07:37
Dave, reading your post i remembered a blog about fuel pump/pickup issues on a jackaroo written by another member on here. Did a search and found this:
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/158573.25/6/2009/Jackaroos__corrugations_and_fuel_pumps.aspx

Now your symptoms don't apear to be the same however, it could be the start of the same problem. Might be worth checking out anyway to be sure.

Tony.
AnswerID: 405309

Reply By: howesy - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 08:06

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 08:06
does it have a turbo timer?
Mine did the same thing and it was the ign cicuit. Power would cut intermittently to the fuel cut off solonoid on the injector pump (which you might check for a loose wire on) It was my turbo timer playing up doing it and the auto elec said it is fairly common its the first thing he asks.
I would be checking the ign circuit and filters etc although one would think if a blockage had stopped it then it wouldnt fire immediately and would take some seconds of cranking to get fuel back up.
AnswerID: 405315

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 13:26

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 13:26
The 3.0l Jackaroo's have several common faults that can cause them to cut out.
My initial guess would be to check the injector harness plug near the dipstick.
The injectors are operated by a high voltage pulse and oil wicking through the wires from under the rocker cover can cause issues.
The injector oil rail pressure sensor is also a major culprit as well.
If it is a manual it may be showing some wear in the crankshaft end float which can then cause the crank angle sensor to not pick up.
The injectors in the 4JX1 are hydraulicly driven and it uses engine oil to achieve this. It is known that the oil pickup for this system can fail allowing air into this system which causes the injectors to misfire.
There are quite a few causes that can issues in this complex engine.

Check the following site for stories from other afflicted Jackaroo 4JX1 owners.

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?s=35380ebaa430a434eb6bcf9cd581b531&showforum=60

Good luck.

Cheers Craig
AnswerID: 405399

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 17:31

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 17:31
Hi friends,

An update on the Jackaroo. Going through the list of suggestions, I came to Serendipity's oil level suggestion.

So I did what you have to do, and checked it, (must admit I have been slack in this area, as the car doesn't travel far as a rule).

The dipstick showed OVERFULL. Anyone with knowledge of this motor will realise that this is a classic symptom of the injector seals leaking, allowing fuel to flow to the sump, causing safety problems (self accelerating) etc.

Phone call to Holden dealer suggested I smell the 'oil' and if it smelled of diesel, then this was possibly the problem, (and it does).

So into Holden it will go, possibly $500 for seals to be replaced.

During the conversation with the service manager, he told me that Isuzu will no longer supply single injectors, only sets of 4......@ $3500. I had 1 replaced last April, but that is a no-go situation now, apparently.

Thanks to all for your help

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 405778

Sponsored Links