TV reception in the bush

Hi all,
Am dipping my feet in the forum for the first time. We have just upgraded from camper trailer to off-road van - bit glamorous!!!
Hubby would like a TV - cricket, footy etc but I know that on some of our travels, we haven't even been able to pick up a radio station. Have been doing a bit of www surfing and there is a flood of info about satellite and TV stuff. The best information is always from folk who have bought and used the equipment - so I'd appreciate any feedback and information from the wealth of knowledge you all have. We are planning a trip from Central Queensland up the coast, across the Savannah way - Darwin etc and then Kimberley and points south - who knows where else but that gives you a reasonable idea. Thanks in advance!Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 21:47

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 21:47
Hi Rick and Linda
We run a satellite system, a 60cm dish (with removeable arm) on a tripod, with a twin 10.7 Ghz LNB (the receiver in front of the dish). We run two cables back to the van, one goes to our Austar Box and one goes to a " Strong" Sat Box with an Optus Card ( or Gold Card !). The output of the two boxes are mixed together with the std antenna signal and to the tv. It works for us. I got most the parts from Satplus in Melb (but I think they have a shops in Qld).
Have a look here:
Satplus
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 405274

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 08:05

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 08:05
If rely soley on a standard (if there's such a thing) caravan antenna you might be very disappointed as are the majority of travellers. Close to big cities and major towns perhaps you might be OK, once outside these locations then satellite (Foxtel) is the only way to be sure of reliable reception.
AnswerID: 405314

Reply By: Member - Carl- Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 09:27

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 09:27
Hi Rick

We do almost the same as Neil but with some differences. We have a dish and run both normal tv (off the caravan antenna) and Foxtel /Austar through the sat dish. Foxtel gives you SBS news and Skynews so that covers the news.

The remainder of the time was stay on Foxtel so that we do not have to move the dish. (A number of satalites up there).

Some quick points about your van if I might. It look fantastic by the way.

You might like to get a stone guard for the front. Even though you might not be heading onto gravel, you need to pull off sometimes for passing trucks and the front will get peppered with stone chips.

The skylight on the roof (we also have one in the same position) will allow small insects and dust in, even when closed. You need to make a seal between the caravan roof and the edge of the perspex. I did mine with a silicone ridge. Other people may have other ideas on how to make one.

Good luck with your trip and might see you on ethe way. Carl
AnswerID: 405323

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:30

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:30
Carl, I have one of those hatches. It's completely water, dust, insect proof.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675076

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 13:08

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 13:08
Crikey, Ours lets in midgies at night when we have the internal kitchen lights on. They come in through the small air holes that are all around the edge.

I should say they used to but do not anymore. Makes me woder if ours could have been fitted better. Thanks for that. Carl
FollowupID: 675091

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:11

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:11
You dont need Foxtel if you dont already have it.

As you are in QLD probably Satplus would be closest for a satellite set.

I have one bought from here www.accessantennas.com.au They are in Perth but for $59 post Aussie wide.

I have an 80cm dish and a Strong box that can also record to a USB drive.

has been great all over the north and west

The Winegard on the van is a bit useless in smaller communities as a lot have vertical polarity which you cant get on that aerial.

I have a card that gets anything anywhere so is good os if you watch a program on the east coast channel it may be on the west a couple of hours later Good if you want to watch two programs that are on at the same time.

Sateliite only gets ABC,SBS, 7 Central,Nine,Win & GWN (wcoast channels) and Imparja. Doesnt get 10 except the occasional program on Imparja.

Mine only takes 5 min to set up once you get used to it.

AnswerID: 405374

Follow Up By: Linda B - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 13:09

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 13:09
Hi Graham,

I was interested in your response, and I was hoping you may be able to clarify a couple of things for me as I'm a complete novice about satellite stuff.

We'll be doing a "lap of Oz" starting in June/July this year and currently just have a standard TV in the van. We're looking at getting Satellite and heard that you can get a "box" which will allow you to record programs which was appealing. My guess is that's what you're referring to as a Strong box. Can you please explain what you mean by you "have a card that gets anything anywhere"?

We still haven't bought our Satellite system and heard from someone that "Storm" is good, but haven't been able to find anything about it.

We're also not ensure the benefits of having a tripod for the dish vs a pole somehow attached to the A frame vs resting it on the ground.

Given the caravan and camping show starts this week we thought we may purchase if the price was right but always looking for advice/guidance from this forum.

Thanks, Linda.

FollowupID: 675092

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 14:51

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 14:51
Perhaps you should MM me to get the full story. Or look in my profile for my Email address.

FollowupID: 675123

Reply By: Member - Rick and Linda P (QLD - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:27

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:27
Thanks everyone for your input - I obviously have a bit more surfing to do to learn all the jargon etc - and will keep checking up on the updates. If I'm lucky to be granted my leave in Term 3 - we'll be off around and about from the end of Jube till the end of September and the rate the year is going that won't be too long!!!
AnswerID: 405445

Sponsored Links