Troopy diff breathers

Submitted: Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:10
ThreadID: 76237 Views:5174 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am lifting the diff breathers on a 2004 troopy. When I removed the front diff breather hose there was a release of pressure. Is this normal or is the diff breather valve buggered? I was going to replace the breather valve with a small filter once the breathers are raised or is this valve meant to maintain positive pressure within the diff. The troopy had been used the day before and the diff locks have not been used for months.

Thanks, dennis.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:30

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:30
hi dz

the diff breathers of any diff should be free to breath at all times otherwise you will eventually blow an oil seal

the breathers tend to block after stints in a heavy dust/mud enviroment they can be taken out and cleaned with kero/diesel and compessed air i had one block up after been up north and blew the front diff seal before finding this out

all manually engaged diffs and locks should by rule of thumb be actuated about once a month as they generally rely on splash feed and can get a bit dry if not used very often

hope this helps your concern
cheers
AnswerID: 405385

Reply By: Kanga1 - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 14:54

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 14:54
Hi DZ. We had the same issue with our troopy, the Toyota fitted ends on the air lines coming from the diffs have some kind of ball and seat valve in them which gets jammed up and then blocked, ( happened to one of mine and sounds like yours too.) When I extended the breathers through to the engine bay, I fitted smallish in-line fuel filters in the ends and then cable tied them high up on the firewall, works well for me. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405404

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:53

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:53
I did the same on mine and used an old length of brake line to run along the chassis from the rear diff breather to the firewall and then fuel filters on top.
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675247

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:27

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:27
I have raised the diff breathers on my troopy but have not been able to locate any breathers on the gearbox or transfer box. Do these have breathers and if so where are they located? Searching inspection with torch and mirror and groping have not revealed them to me.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405444

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:36

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:36
they look like little buttons on top of box around 5c size if you play with them some you'll find them.
FollowupID: 675216

Follow Up By: Haza - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:38

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:38
The gearbox breather is right on top it's very hard to see but it's just behind the gear lever you can feel it,, I havn't found out how to remove it and extend the breather.
The transfer case beather can be found by going under from the left handside between the gearbox and the transfer case, up high is another cap ( they look and feel like the caps on the diff breathers. You should be able to see this one.
I havn't done mine and if you bet me to it let me know how you go!
I'm not sure how to remove the caps. When I did my Rodeo I was able to just break the caps with pliers and it left me with a steel sleave I was able to attach the hose too.
FollowupID: 675217

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:18

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:18
Thanks Guys,
I'll take another look today.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 675244

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 13:34

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 13:34
Ok, I've done it. But what a cow of a job!

The gearbox breather is, as said, on top, behind the gear lever and close to the rear flange of the gearbox. Unlike the diff breathers which were screwed-in, this connection is very stubby and did not look as though it would be cooperative in being removed.

The 1st photo below shows the breather with the cap and valve removed.

Image Could Not Be Found

I decided to leave this fitting in place and attach the extension directly to it. Its 10mm diameter was too large and too short to directly connect a rubber tube so I modified a nylon elbow to accept the tubing and force-fit over the breather stub. This 2nd photo shows the tubing connected to the modified elbow.

Image Could Not Be Found

After thoroughly cleaning off the grease and dust the elbow was then pressed over the breather stub as shown in the 3rd photo, and the tubing run to the engine bay, securing it along the way with cable ties.

Image Could Not Be Found

Finally, a generous blob of silicon sealer was applied around and over the elbow to secure it to the gearbox. I sincerely hope that it remains secured or I will have an unrestricted opening on the gearbox! But I am reasonably confident and will check it before my first deep crossing.

The transfer case is integral with the gearbox and does not appear to have a breather.

Apologies for the photo quality. It was hard enough to get a camera in there without be able to focus it correctly! Like I say. it was a difficult job but I will feel a bit happier now if I get stuck in a creek and have to spend some time in recovery.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 405574

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:08

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:08
"When I removed the front diff breather hose there was a release of pressure. "
Dennis, the valves allow air out but close to prevent anything going back in. The noise was most likely air being sucked in which is normal - means your seals are good. Often get that noise when you undo the filler plug to check the level.
And yes, ditch the valves and put a fuel filter. The valves are responsible for water being sucked in past the seals when the diff gets cooled underwater.
AnswerID: 405590

Follow Up By: Member DZ- Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:33

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:33
Thanks for the replies.

I have found this forum very helpful over the years both in trip planning and vehicle preperation as well as a general source of very good information.

We are heading off to the Canning and will revisit the Bungle Bungles on the way home,our first trip since retiring, looking forward to travel with no timetable. May see some of you on the trips.

Thanks, Dennis.
FollowupID: 675295

Sponsored Links