personal safety on the road

Submitted: Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:51
ThreadID: 76246 Views:5129 Replies:19 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

hi, we are 2 young people about to set off on a driving tour around the country and we were wondering if there are personal saftety issuses / problem areas we should concerned or weary about? we are young, not very experienced and a little unsure. we are worried about running into some trouble as we have heard some stories. we stick to ourselves but is this something to worry about? all thoughts and comments will be appreciated. thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:59

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:59
What are you driving?
what gear are you taking?
where are you visiting?
what preparation have you made?
what research have you done?

personal safety on the road - Be patient & take it easy.
AnswerID: 405455

Follow Up By: work avoidance tour- Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:29

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:29
hi mate, driving a cruiser ute with a slide on , taking general offroad touring gear and and fishing gear. heading wherever takes our fancy from the east coast, to the cape, to darwin through the kimberlies, to broome and to perth, and wherever the budget allows. Want to see as many things as we can.
preperation is kind of last minute but i think were doing well,i have a good viechle and good recovery gear.
research is kind of limited due to time restrictions, but will be an ongoing throughout the trip.
FollowupID: 675179

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:03

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:03
Overwhelmingly real danger comes from sources you don't perceive as dangerous.

In the context of your trip this means basically vehicle saftey.

You have provided no details of your proposed trip , but if its in a 4wd
then the N0 1 killer is because they can roll more easily.

Chose carefully and don't purchase anything that tips over at less than 45 degrees.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 405457

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:04

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:04
You do not give much information .. where are you going?... do you have a plan? ... what is you means of transport?... Are you looking for work?...who do you know on your way?
Despite all you read in the newspapers there is not a robber or a murderer every 10 kilometres around Australia. I am at the opposite to you being close to 80 years old. I have never felt threatened, been abused or anything like that and I travel alone!
Most people doing the "see Aussie" bit are much the same. Take it easy and dont look for trouble and then trouble will never find you. If you see someone on the side of the road slow down and drive past. Then stop and wait for them to come up to you. Leave the motor running and first gear engaged. If you don't like what you see wave and drive on.
AnswerID: 405460

Reply By: work avoidance tour- Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:18

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:18
hi, sorry about that, that was my first ever forum post... not enough info ...
we have a landcruiser ute with a slide on camper and possibly towing a small boat. we are in the mid 20's starting from mid north coast nsw, heading north looking at doing the east coast and mixed inland se qld trips to the dams, then up towards the cape, and over to darwin way, then through the kimberly region and down towards perth.
we are just wondering because we were younger, do you think we would be more of a target for violence and theft., or is this a problem regardless, or is this an overreaction?
AnswerID: 405471

Follow Up By: Rod W - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:26

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:26
I think you're over reacting and watched to much crap TV.

Enjoy the trip
FollowupID: 675178

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:54

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:54
Rod,

are you saying Wolfe Creek wasn't for real ?

Cheers......Lionel.
FollowupID: 675184

Follow Up By: Rod W - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:27

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:27
Lionel,

You gave me a laugh.

Well alright then just that one. Brilliant movie, but then I watched how they made it and took the edge right off it.

Then there's another movie called the Ruins... plants creep along the ground and devour people.
FollowupID: 675211

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 00:55

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 00:55
Wasn't Wolfe Creek a documentary???
FollowupID: 675229

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 06:20

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 06:20
Could have been Pop.

The one I'm thinking about was an outback version of 'Jack the Ripper'.

Cheers......Lionel.
FollowupID: 675239

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:54

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:54
Wolf Creek (the movie) is in no way a doco. Totally fabricated using snippets of the Falconio, Millat murders and a whole heap of fluff to make it more commercial.

There was another post on this forum that discussed the authenticity of the movie at great length. I won't repeat myself.

In short...Millat murders were in Balangello State Forrest, Wolfe Creek is in WA, Falconnio murder was in NT and the movie was filmed near Quorn SA.

Plenty of other fabricated events.
FollowupID: 675277

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:58

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:58
....OH

(;-))
FollowupID: 675390

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:44

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:44
I'd armour plate the Cruiser, cut a hole in the slide-on, fit a 50mm rapid fire gun which can be swung through 360 degs.

When out of the vehicle, an assault rifle and a few grenades.

When asleep, a semi auto 9mm pistol under the pillow.

Always carry a gurkka knife as back-up.

If you find yourself in really serious bleep, you can always smile and say giday....lol.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 405481

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:00
Lionel, you forgot the most important thing.............sleep in shifts and never ever leave the 50 cal unmanned.

No seriously relax and enjoy you are in Oz not Afghanistan.

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 675230

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:02

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:02
Lionel you are one seriously twisted individual that I would consider a pleasure to meet. (:-))

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 675231

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 05:37

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 05:37
Thanks Pop,

It's the drugs..........Nicotine and Alcohol.

It's my childhood..........Brought up through Catholic Schools without being molested once, left me wondering if I'm abnormal.

It's my relationship.........Been through the dusty torn Marriage Certificate dozens of times and still can't find the clause pertaining to the 'Cooling off period'

Pop, are you in the legal profession ?....."seriously twisted individual".
Thats what the Judge always says to me !!!

Mind you, thinking of Ivan Milat, the Falconio affair and a handful of others, I'm just wondering if my reply is really as silly as it was supposed to be.

Cheers.....Lionel.
FollowupID: 675236

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:08

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:08
No offence intended

Sounds like we have a similar addiction Al-K- O'HOL

Missed out on that uplifting (as in shirt) experience meself

"Cooling off period"........ doesn't that start at the end of the wedding ceremony

I have had some experience with the legal profession but never got to close

the bloody bars got in the way ...........lol

John Jarret as the bad guy........hmmmmmm...... kept waiting for him to crack a joke.

Glad someone set me straight about the doco bit...(;-))

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 675395

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:04

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:04
Hi welcome to the forum. A good question however despite the absence of specific information in regard to where, when etc you have also managed to avoid (perhaps deliberately) declaring the genders of 'we 2 young people'. I think that when seeking sincere replies to your questions it is important (relevant) to know the answer as I believe any advice offered will take such info into consoderation when formulating a reply. For example, two females travelling together will need to have an increased level of awareness when moving about strange towns etc. Two males together might be a little safer but could still attract unwanted attention under certain circumstances.
I sincerely believe that Australia is still a safe country to travel in. Many of the people you will come into contact with will also be travelling so all will have something in common. Whatever your genders you should avoid places out of the way and not generally frequented by travellers. Don't worry too much about missing the 'out of the way' places though because they are amongst the most popular with many travellers. If you like/enjoy frequenting licenced premises (boozing) then that's another complete stroy in itself. Many crimes are associated with the excessive consumption of alcohol generally by victims and or perpetrators who may have consumed to excess so the level of risk management is dramatically llessened and alternatively the level of bravado increases particulularly in those inclined to progress to offending be it physical assault, robbery, sexual assault rtc. But, this can happen anywhere not necessarily when you are travelling. In other words, stay alert, be careful of the company you may seek or keep and look out for each other. Good luck with your travels.
AnswerID: 405489

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:26

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:26
Dio, what an absolutely fantastic response!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. The way you worded the "gender" issue is very subtle and extremely pertinent. Mind you, it shouldn't HAVE to be pertinent, but the reality is that it is.

There were two other things I picked up on in the original question. One was a statement along the lines of : "we will be keeping to ourselves"..... To this, I would simply ask "WHY"? My wife and I have travelled reasonably extensively (but nowhere near as much as a large number of contributors to this forum). The one thing we have always done (without setting out to do so), is to make new friends. It is as simple as striking up a conversation with someone in the laundry at a c/van park (for example).

The 2nd point I noted was the relatively "easy" way you slotted in the bit about going to the Cape....as though this is just a simple weekend jaunt. It is not. You need to be prepared before undertaking that trip.....and many others like it.

Ill fate has befallen many a traveller who undertakes to complete a trip for which they have not adequately planned.

Do you know how to engage the Cruiser into 4 wheel drive mode? Do you know when it is necessary to adjust your tyre pressures and by how much? Do you know how to use your recovery equipment? Do you know where the recovery points are and whether or not they are "rated". Do you know the difference between a rated shackle and an unrated shackle?

These are just some of the questions that you would be wise to know the answer to before setting out. Joining a 4WD club or doing a 4wd course would be a wise move IMHO. There have been people perish in the desert simply because they were bogged and either didn't know how to select 4x4 mode or that letting their tyres down to a suitably reduced pressure could get them out. Of course, with that, you also need to carry a GOOD QUALITY air compressor (not one of the K-Mart $49- specials).

I could go on and on all night, but hope you have got my drift.

Good luck and above all else.....HAVE FUN. hahahaha

Roachie
FollowupID: 675196

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:08

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:08
But Roachie, they are traveling in a Cruiser.............what could possibly go wrong

just kidding,(:-)) very good advice.

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 675232

Follow Up By: work avoidance tour- Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:31

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:31
hi roachie, cheers for the advise,
It wasnt meant that we would be ignoring other people, and yes we want to make a million friends, it was more meaning that we would be steering clear of anyone who gave us a bad feeling if you know what i mean.

I have heard some stories of an acquaintance of mine who had been sleeping in the back of their 60 series in inland qld,they awoke from someone trying to get into thier car, interrupted them and 30 seconds later a car was alight 30m from them,they got out of the car to see people running away and petrol poured around thier car.!!! just that sorta bleep .
Another guy i met in darwin was travelling with his girlfriend and ran into a bunch of yokels who decided they wanted a "piece" of his girl.... resulting in a blue where he was left looking not quite stock standard... and i will be in the same deal, travelling with a young attractive female..

I also am fairly confident in an offroad vehicle, its my 3rd 4wd over 10 years of driving and have had to get out of few bogs in my time. and spent loads of time in the bush or on the sand.

Hopefully we run into no such dramas, i was just wondering if anyone had any experiences thats all.. thanks mate
FollowupID: 675250

Reply By: Member - Ron O (VIC) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:18

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:18
Wife and l have done it a few times we just use common sense. go and enjoy
AnswerID: 405491

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:30

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:30
Hey young friends. What an adventure is ahead. Everyone here is on your side.

I would like to add just a little bit at this stage.

When camping you willl be a lot safer not camping alone and sticking to the more well know caravan parks. The grey nomads would give their left what ever to help. You are in effect the same age as their grand children. Be wary of town/pub drinking sessions. Better to join the park crowd in their "happy hours". Normally just a few drinks and hello to others in the park. Don't hit the town pubs at night.

From these happy hour sessions you will lots of info on what to do and not do in that locale. You can also get invites to tag along and join groups as they travel off to see things and come back to base (their caravan). This allows you to be safe in your own car and go with some experienced 4WD people. Look for ExploreOz and club badges on car windows. Also cars with Vietnam colours can also be a friendly lot.

I would also suggest that there is a heap to learn about your skill, your car's capabilities and 4WD in general. Therefore I would say stay clear of more agressive and adventurous roads/tracks. Keep them until next time.

Communications. Not a lot of internet and mobile phones "out there". What have you got in case you break down half way between here and there and not even an emu in sight? Got a puncture repair kit?

Food for thought. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. But do not be put off. Like I said there is an adventure head that even a round the world cruise will never equeal.

Phil
AnswerID: 405497

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:52

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:52
I will probably get flamed but here goes.

The heading of your post does not engender a lot of acceptance.

Hopefully you are not employed by Mr Centrelink whilst doing this as it can be an expensive exercise.

There is a long way between places and fuel is not cheap away from cities.

Can be nothing to use $200 of fuel a day.

If you are as inexperienced as you say perhaps joining a 4wd club and finding out a bit more about some of the places you intend to go would be advisable.

A Uhf and the ability to use it would be something to have for starters, The ability to do minor or more car repairs is definitely advisable.

Firstly have a very thorough vehicle check before you go and make sure the tyres are newish and have not to old dates on them.

Perhaps get a job and have some more money to do this longish trip and learn some things about outback travel while doing it.

Its a great thing to do but mony and preparation are everything.

AnswerID: 405499

Follow Up By: work avoidance tour- Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:41

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:41
hahaha hi graham, centrelink certainly isnt paying for this trip, ive sold all the toys and are pumping all of my money into it.
i have an airconditioning trade and mining experience so hopefully if money gets tight some work may fall my way. if not i turn around and go home!

This is my first time on a forum, so i kinda learnt a bit of how and what to write on a post.
by inexperienced, i dont mean driving,as i have been offroading for a fair time now.i just mean the travelling and planning part. the vehicle planning is all good tho. no need for a "flaming", i just want ideas thats all , cheers
FollowupID: 675251

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:18

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:18
Graham,
$200 a day for fuel? Surely you jest. What do you drive a Mack truck? I spend less than $100 a WEEK! and I drive a Range Rover - a petrol job at that. I want to look around the country-side, visit old towns, watch birds and wild life, fossik etc.
I still cannot drive from Perth to Kalgoorlie in less than three days. It took me 10 days to cross the Nullabour and I was in a hurry as I had a business appointment in Adelaide.
Encourage the young couple, tell them the good things but warn of possibilites.
Nope I cannot take a tyre off a rim. Never had to. Nope, I do not carry any sort of communication except a handfull of $2 coins for the telephone. As I posted previously I am nearly 80 years old. But I am cautious. I bush camp but head towards a CP every 4 or 5 days for a shower. Sometimes they let me shower for a couple of dollars, sometimes I have to stay the night.
As the man said "This is life, not a dress rehearsal, enjoy it as you may".
FollowupID: 675257

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:32

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:32
Not at all. Fill up in the morning Go sightseeing 600k later fill up again when I got back.
leave Albany fill up arrive Hyden same again leave Hyden Arrive Kalgoorlie
same again leave Kalgoorlie arrive Esperance Get the picture.

Have done 50,000k in last 12 months and still going.

Av 5.7kpl..

FollowupID: 675258

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:55

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:55
Please tell me what you can see doing 600 kms a day? The white line down the middle of the road? 5.7 kpl? A Mack truck? Surely you do not tow that caravan 600 kms a day?
You must have more money than sense.
Love and kisses
FollowupID: 675340

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 18:22

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 18:22
What I did is my business and has nothing to do with this thread anyway

I saw all I wanted during a very long day

I dont have a Mack or any other truck and I wasnt towing the van.

You do what you want and I will do what I want to.

I am actually a pensioner but not a poor one.

if you dont like the way I travel Tough.
FollowupID: 675341

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 09:50

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 09:50
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 675439

Reply By: Wilko - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:54

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:54
Hi Work avoiders,

If your going to out of the way places, Plenty of water, make sure your cruiser in is good nick and tell someone where ur going.

Fatigue is a killer Get used to driving the distance you want to travel.

Dont become a victim, 99.99% of people are decent and ready to help if something goes wrong but if you leave valueable around your camp it can go walkeys.

If your worried about camping away from towns dont nothing will happen, Just relax and enjoy the stars, The quietness and the greatest land in the world.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 405500

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:01

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:01
Hi WATs

Although we are a bit older than you we have been travelling, mostly alone and frequently in remote places for a couple of decades now. We often bush camp (preferably well out of sight of the road)- and only once have we felt sufficiently uncomfortable in a camp that we moved on. That was years ago on the west coast of Tasmania.

If you can, get a copy of Camps 5 which will point you to lots of free camp areas. Lots of other travellers use this publication so there is a fair chance that any camp you choose to use will have others camped there too. Don't park on top of them but be friendly and you will be safe. If you think things look dodgy then move on, but make sure you leave yourself enough time to find another campsite in daylight.

As your trip progresses your confidence and judgement will grow. Also you may be surprised at the number of other young people who are also travelling. As others have said, watch out for alcohol related situations, and take note of the excellent advice that has already been posted here.

Have a great trip,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405501

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:43

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:43
Hi Work Avoiders

The bigger the town/city, the more likely there is to be people of ill intent. The more remote you go, the more helpful and friendly the people are.

We usually camp alone, but have had to share if using a recognised rest area or popular dam/weir. Not a problem as we love chatting to other campers. When we come to a town and need to stay at a caravan park, we take the precaution of always locking up, as in some areas opportunistic thieves have come into caravan parks and taken cameras and wallets while both are visiting the bathrooms.

We also have made good friends when travelling, and find people are generally more sociable in the free camp grounds than in caravan parks in town. We have had several lots of visitors this month; mostly people we met when travelling. I hope another lovely lady will reach us soon. She has been travelling solo for some years in her home - a medium sized motor home. She is over 70.

Youth is probably on your side as a would-be thief could knock some of us older ones over with a feather - but not so when we were young. However in saying that, we have never been threatened, robbed or anything nasty when travelling.

We never travel at night - the danger of hitting a large animal is too great.

Don't camp too near towns, avoid gravel pits and the like that are littered with cans, especially on Friday nights, or benefit payment days.

It is a wonderful country. Enjoy your adventure, and you will soon gain confidence, and get a feel for places that are safe, and places you'd rather not stay.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405511

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:46

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:46
The biggest problem you will have is picking a date to leave and then getting out the driveway. Once you have managed this relax and try not to put to much into a day, enjoy what you see.

I cannot add much to what others have said other than be as prepared as you can, there is an article on this site in pre planning a trip, well worth having a read.

As others have said if you feel uneasy or have a bad gut feeling where you are about to camp move on, in saying this I travel alone and have had no issues at all.

Alcohol has been mentioned and is fair comment but aside to this be well aware if carrying in your vehicle know where you can and cannot take it IE restricted areas.

Fuel availability depending on where you are going is also worth knowing and some only take CASH. Can you take a tyre of a rim and put one back on or do a repair on one?

There is a host of things to consider above all have a great time and simple enjoy it.

Brian

Brian
AnswerID: 405513

Reply By: wato35 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:56

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:56
Hi WAT
Firstly, you will have a great trip. My wife and I travelled for 6.5 months last year, through some remote areas. We were both a bit worried about safety as well. It wont take you long to work it out, stay in caravan parks until you find your feet. When you get to remote places and can pull up near other campers, but not on top of them. The best thing I found was to go over to them and engage in some small talk. This way you can make a judgement out them, as they will do about you. As most people are doing the same as you, wanting to have a good time. When you get really remote and have not seen anyone or farms for some time, you just pull off the road and camp. Try to get off the road and behind trees or something similar. Have your vehicle between your camp fire and the road, so you are not seen.
Remember there are plenty of animals that roam around at night in the outback, so there will be noises that you are not use to.
Have a couple of powerful torches and remember to keep them charged.

Take plenty of photos and take you rubbish out with you.

Have a great trip
Cheers
Wato

AnswerID: 405548

Reply By: Dan - Yal - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:49

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:49
It is a very safe country. The incidents your freinds have experienced are worrying but very rare.
Some other things to consider are roadside assistance coverage such as RAC. It doesnt cost a lot and you may never use it, but it gives peace of mind.
A can of pepper spray is also worth getting. Again you probably won't need it, but they are cheap, don't take up much space and will give you time to get away if anyone does have a go at you.
Camps 5 is quite useful if you plan on doing any free camping. At most of the free camp spots there will be enough people to provide safety and have a yarn with.
Half the people you talk to will be travelling in the opposite direction to you. They will offer advice on where to stay, what to see, where you can get fuel etc. You'll be able to offer these people the same advice as you will have just come from their next destination.
Heaps of well paid work in the pilbara for someone with your background so if it you get low on funds, this is a good place to head.
Enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 405556

Follow Up By: work avoidance tour- Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:21

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:21
hi dan, thanks for that.
where can you get capsicum spray from and how much is it? i thought it was illegal to carry? yeah i got camps 5, is there any other similar books like that you would recomend to give more options?
FollowupID: 675264

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 13:19

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 13:19
just a thought ....

Anything you use in defence ... has to be accessed.

Probably much better to spend the time wasted rummaging through a backpack for largely inneffective pepperspray .... by running away ???

Being prepared ... in todays wonderful legal society ... could be misconstrued as "intent".
FollowupID: 675279

Follow Up By: Dan - Yal - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 00:40

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 00:40
Capsicum spray will cost you about $30-$50 at an Army Surplus store.

If you can buy them over the counter, I can't imagine they would be illegal. The laws may differ between states but so long as you don't walk around with a pepper spray hanging from your neck, you should be OK.

Yes, you will need to keep the spray in a spot that is easily accessed. You're probably most vulnerable when you in bed at night so keep it handy during this time.

Having seen a pepper spray used before, I have no doubts about their efficacy. If you do, experiment on yourself. This should remove any doubts very quickly.

Like I said, you will probably never need it. If you do, the spray will buy you a bit of time to get away.

There is nothing quite like Camps 5. If using a GPS, you might consider getting the Camps 5 disc and loading it onto your system.

Most importantly, enjoy your trip

FollowupID: 675408

Reply By: Member - Cantiva Clay (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:02

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:02
Hi Wat, make sure you throw the toolbox in the truck and a can do attitude then when you settle into a place you like the look of, ask around if there's any handyman or related work going, tell people where to find you and what your truck looks like etc.... and see what pops up. Great way to meet people and help balance the cheque book on your travels! Re books - no-one mentioned maps, I would pop into Dymocks or similar (map shop if your in a big city) and buy yourself a big map of Australia, and some hema state maps - handy because they show most roads, petrol stations and related info. You can then pick up state maps usually at a servo for more detailed info. A gps can be handy but I wouldn't sweat it if its outside the budget, although unless you have a watch and can read the sun some form of compass is pretty handy - stops you going in completely the wrong direction! I was going to say GPS equipment only really becomes a necessity when your travelling to a schedule in unfamiliar country, but on second thoughts a basic auto routing/topo model probably doesn't hurt. We all travelled successfully for years without them but I do recall being dreadfully lost at times! See the navigation article on this website. If you really want to remember your travels take a highlighter and a pen and paper and mark where you go and a camera is a great idea - with a big storage card A camera is a great way to remember your travels especially a few years down the track - the only thing I regret about my travels is not taking more photos!

AnswerID: 405579

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:47

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:47
Do carry enough water. For two allow about 16 litres per day in the hotter months and that is just for drinking water.

Do watch the centre of gravity. Pack things low. If you need a roof rack you are carrying too much gear. Most people pack too much and too high.

Pack an air compressor and tyre gauge and Maxtrax if heading into sandy deserts.

As a young bloke in a trayback people will hope (expect) you to be useful to have around when something goes wrong. Make yourself useful and you should have a great time.

In the smaller places the pubs and clubs can be great on Friday night. The locals do notice that you are mixing with them and do respond warmly.

I will camp alone in the middle of nowhere any time. Am rather more cautious in the cities.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 405631

Reply By: Farmboywa - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 00:21

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 00:21
G'day work avoidance tour, pack a laptop in your kit and stay in touch with the forum until you get your confidence up. Wouldn't hurt to stash a baseball bat behind the seat. Handy for playing baseball with. Lots of ferals out the back of beyond, camels donkeys cats, dogs, foxes, not to mention the dingoes, snakes, crocodiles. Oh, forgot to mention the scrub bulls and pigs. Good movie about feral pigs , I think it was called "Razorback" Don't be too trusting of your fellow homosapiens, particularly in isolated areas and listen to your instincts. Happy Days. Farmboywa.
AnswerID: 405682

Reply By: John and Lynne - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 08:27

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 08:27
If you have lived safely and happily in any Australian city and any mining camp you obviously have the ability and common sense to be safe while travelling in Australia!
Apart from the obvious like vehicle safety and water which you seem to already be competent about, commonsense is all that is rquired to have a wonderful and safe trip.
It sounds as if your attractive companion may be getting a bit jittery now it is all getting closer. She no doubt has lots of unhelpful 'friends' keen to tell horror stories they have picked up from American TV!
We have been travelling and bush camping for some years and have never had any issues. If you listen to all the stories told by the prophets of doom you would never go anywhere. We have been told of 'no go towns', rampant crime etc etc and when we get there been amazed to find a pleasant town of friendly folk! Most of these stories are told with relish but always happen to 'someone who heard it from a mate somewhere' etc.
Don't worry! Once your fair companion gets going she will love it and won't want to stop. Going up the coast you will have plenty of time to work up gradually to any isolated camps!
We had a couple of amusing experiences in isolated camps. Once in WA, while walking away from our camp, a very scruffy chap emerged from a beaten up old truck and waved us down. We felt a bit nervous. He just wanted to tell us that there was a waterhole down the track a bit and we shouldn't miss it if we were interested in birds! (We are!) He turned out to be a great bloke without a lot of money but enjoying his travels - like us!
Another time we were preparing breakfast -yes, pancakes and espresso coffee! We looked out to find ourselves surrounded by a group of young thugs. It turned out that they were a group of lads doing the Duke of Edinborough Award. They were very unwashed and had started to run out of food. The smell of pancakes was too much for them! We offered some - to hell with the rules of the Award programme!
So don't judge by appearances, use commonsense and you will have a wonderful time.
Drop the forum a line occasionally to let us know how you are going! Lynne
AnswerID: 405701

Follow Up By: work avoidance tour- Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:16

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:16
hi lynne, thanks for that, i will surely post some along my trip. chat you later.
FollowupID: 675445

Sponsored Links