Easy to be a critic but where's the most improved town in Australia

Submitted: Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 19:56
ThreadID: 76249 Views:3274 Replies:17 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I'm prepared to go out on a limb here and claim that Pt Augusta and Ceduna are much improved places, particularly when I compare them to what existed in the sixties. The other place I believe has a much improved look and feel is Esperance. Surprising what can be achieved with a bit of civic pride, law and order and enterprising businesses. That's my take, I'll not join in condemming towns who are struggling to turn things around, it just becomes self fulfilling!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:04

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:04
Loved Esperance but I reckon for a town I've visited consistently over thirty years, Coober Pedy wins hands down! Yep it still has issues but then what town doesn't. From a town I used to consider a 22 minute stop in as 22 minutes too long, I reckon it's shackled it's eccentricity to cater to the tourist market and it's done it well. The dust and rough edges only add to the appeal.

I always look forward to a stop there now and a night in the local pub for a laugh. Even came second in a local Trivia Night at the Italian Club last year. How we ended up there is a story in it's own rights LOL.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405459

Reply By: Happy Frank - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:04

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:04
I lived in Port Augusta in the late 70's and half the 80's. I agree that it is a much improved town, literally millions of trees were planted under the leadership of John Zwar and Joy Baluch in the early 80's and the town is now benefiting from their foresight. Many other areas of the town have also been improved and benefited from laws such as dry areas.
AnswerID: 405461

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:46

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:46
I agree Happy Frank. I was born and bred in Whyalla.Port Augusta was always considered the poor cousin of Whyalla.

Boy how the tables have turned.Port Augusta's waterfront development is great and the Mayor (Joy Baluch) is the type of person we should have running this country.

I know people who live in Port Augusta and commute daily to work in Whyalla. 75kms each way.
FollowupID: 675275

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:09

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:09
Still it is the same as the other thread - Opinions will differ greatly - what some don't like others don't mind etc

You have listed a whole lot of points to be an improved town - based on who's opinion?

If you were born in one of the towns mentioned in the other thread - well you may not even have the chance to post this.

But it is the better way to approach it I suppose :-)
AnswerID: 405466

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:09

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:09
Doomadgee, Palm Island, Yarralin, Lingara all great communities especially when you live and work in the community for 6-8 months.

I heard all sorts of bad comments about those communities before we went but once there those stories were nowhere near the truth.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405467

Follow Up By: Teraa - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:14

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:14
This what I have found I have had a bad time or seen the wrong thing but I have been back to some places Wilcannia being one under different circumstances and it was a completley different experience.
FollowupID: 675170

Reply By: The Boss - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:15

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:15
I dunno about being most improved, for me i could only really comment on the Kimberley, so it would have to be Kununurra i think.

Broome is still a nice place to live, but its not what it used to be. Has lost its charm due to the greed of local businesses.

Derby has lifted and seems to be a much more sought after place to live.

Wyndham is dying, but still boasts the best fishing and cheapest fuel and housing.

Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing have a fair few things to do yet.

Turkey Creek (Warmun) aint too bad, probably the cleanest community in the Kimberley. Thanks to Argyle Diamond Mine.

I also believe that the Dampier Peninsula isnt as nice as what it once was. Maybe only the peole of Lombadina take pride in there community and how it looks. Beagle Bay a close second. One Arm Point definitely near the end.

And Kalumburu has only gotten worse over the last decade, as has Oombulgurri. Now 15 years ago, these were the nicest places to visit in the Kimberley, but now they need a bit of work to get back up to scratch.

In my opinion, Kununurra as much as i dont love the place, has come along way and has prospered into a thriving little town. Not suprised though, with the amount of money spent on the joint from the government and mining companies.
AnswerID: 405469

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:22

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:22
I was very much surprised with Wilcannia from previous visits (or rapid drive throughs). My wife and I were quite relaxed about wandering the streets on our recent visit to the area late last year.

Mind you, some of the buildings are really nice.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 675175

Reply By: mechpete - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:24

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:24
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 405474

Reply By: Best Off Road - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:27

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:27
Leigh,

Yarragon, just past Warragul is a picture pretty place. It's the kind of place you actually do less than the speed limit to take in the atmosphere.

Regards,

Jim.

AnswerID: 405476

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:46

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:46
Yes, it is pretty well improved, although it has become a bit 'yuppie".
I could never understand why they put the steam train so far away from the main areas.

Personally, I would go a bit further East & pick Traralgon, with it's immaculately maintained parks & gardens.

FollowupID: 675287

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:33

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:33
Hi everyone!
I would like to add Morree it has such a beautiful main street now, and the local community need to be congratulated for the work they have done. I just think we should try and stop and spend a few dollars in all of the struggling towns in the country that we can. If like us we tend to cater for our own lunch still stopping in the town and having a look around may encourage someone else to stop who has a bit more cash, but I always think that every small bit counts
Barb
AnswerID: 405478

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:00

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:00
Home hill for me, it was a dying town until main roads fixed the main street, now it is thriving.

it is good to see an excellent outcome for the locals.

AnswerID: 405486

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:31

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:31
Home Hill certainly was a dead town when I was living uo that way. All the shops closed / boarded up. haven't been up that way for a few years. Good to see things have improved. I always thought it would happen sooner or later. The rivalry between Home Hill & Ayr was always strong between locals. That probably had a lot to do with it.

Steve
FollowupID: 675249

Follow Up By: Member -Tukka (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:12

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:12
I thought home hill was a nice little place when i visited aswell, ayr aint to bad either i suppose, lots of farmers. Bowen wasnt to bad either.

FollowupID: 675255

Reply By: Wilko - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:44

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:44
Hi Leigh,

My Vote is for Forbes in NSW, It used to be full of dole bludgers, people who cant play football and had a terrible feral dog problem.

I went thru the other day and there wasnt a dog to be seen.lol

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 405498

Follow Up By: Member - Gary J (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:55

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:55
The local Chinese restaurant must be thriving!
FollowupID: 675261

Reply By: George_M - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:07

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:07
Definately Melbourne - with the onset of global warming, the weather is fantastic! (lol)

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405503

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:10

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:10
No such thing as a bad town, they are all just different and i enjoy them all for the experience they offer.

Some may be more enticing than others, but hey thats life and you take the good with the bad.

I'm with you Leigh, I'm not into condemning Aussie towns.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 405504

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:13

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:13
I was going to mention Wilcannia but someone else did, so I think Bourke should also get an honourable mention too, I have stopped in Bourke more than three nights now over 3 visits and each one has been better than the one before IMHO

I really like the place and the wife and I have walked home from the club or pub after closing on many occasions and feel safe even with the occasional group of youths also on the street, we have been treated with nothing but pleasant respect by ALL the locals (black or white) every time we have been there.

If we listened to some reports of the town we would have skirted it and kept going.

We love the place, faults and all. Colin.
AnswerID: 405506

Follow Up By: Off-track - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:18

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:18
Yeah, I would go with Bourke as well. Does seem to get better everytime we stay/pass through.
FollowupID: 675223

Follow Up By: Member - James W (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:58

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:58
Bourke gets a vote from me too and Brewarrina as well. We were there last October and the town has an optimistic outlook for the future. Good on them.
FollowupID: 675289

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:51

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:51
My Favourite town wouldn't be classed as most improved as it's actually on the decline. Wyndham in the Kimberley.
The people are friendly.
Primary school attendance is high. Kids don't have to wear shoes to school if they don't want to.
You catch metre long Barra off the banks of the Ord.
Kununurra is an hour away to get magnificent fruit and veg.
Bush walking opportunities in every direction you look.
If you have a decent sized boat the fishing is brilliant.
And it actually rains there unlike down south!
AnswerID: 405522

Follow Up By: The Boss - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:08

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:08
I agree.
FollowupID: 675233

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 00:50

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 00:50
Leigh,
Yes I too read the "other" thread. Very depressing to realize that the towns mentioned are part of this great and prosperous country. Unfortunately people visiting can only have their impressions of any place influenced (if approached with an open mind) by experiences good or bad. As you have stated it is surprising what can be achieved by civic pride, courtesy to one another and respect for law and order.
My vote for a town that has improved its image is Carnarvon WA. Still a little way to go as far as social issues are concerned but they appear to be working towards these goals. A bit more help from the state government wouldn't hurt.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 405528

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:25

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:25
I'll go for Halls creek.

Was previously there in the '70s when it was something like out of Deliverance. Now mostly neat and tidy with a great new hospital and a good range of services. Had a much better feel to it.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 405567

Reply By: keviny6 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:50

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:50
Fab72 posted:
I agree Happy Frank. I was born and bred in Whyalla. Port Augusta was always considered the poor cousin of Whyalla.

Boy how the tables have turned. Port Augusta's waterfront development is great and the Mayor (Joy Baluch) is the type of person we should have running this country.

I know people who live in Port Augusta and commute daily to work in Whyalla. 75kms each way.

pt augusta has my vote vastly improven from when i lived there in the late 50s to late 70s , quite often commuted daily to whyall to work back then as well..
dont know about the poor cousin bit --WHYALLA was founded by an afghan camel driver, when he got there he looked up and said ---"WHY ALLAH" !
AnswerID: 405655

Sponsored Links