landcruiser 75 series aftermarket turbo?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:03
ThreadID: 76250 Views:16982 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, i have a 92 landcruiser ute with a 1HZJ 4.2L diesel engine which has just clicked 100,000 genuine kms. it has a large slide on camper and we are considering towing a small aluminium boat. was thinking of putting an after market turbo kit on it and was wondering has anyone had any experience with this? in terms of reliability and the fuel /power benefits? the ute by its self is fine but with the camper alone, it is pretty gutless.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:13

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:13
May I sugest ou do a search on here as there is a wealth of information on this issue.

Also, even more detailed and knowledgeable technicians reside on the LCOOL forum, where there are literally dozens of people running around with aftermarket turbo 1HZ's.

My 2c worth is that it can be done, but not without spending a decent amount of your hard earned $$ and not without altering the potential life span of the engine. You must remember that the 1HZ engine was never designed for a turbo and when you compare it to the factory turbo engines, you will find that there are numerous differences is the strength of some of the components and the way oil is supplied to the pistons.

Overdo boost, timing changes and/or fuel delivery and with inadequate servicing they are very likely to let you down prematurely.

However that being said, there are many people running around with some big km's on aftermarket 1HZ turbos. Horses for courses.

Mine is still N/A, and for the money it would cost to turbo the 1HZ properly (IMO), I could do an engine, gearbox and transfer swap from a factory turbo and create myself the ultimate turbo 105 series.

Good luck with your research.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 405507

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:23

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 22:23
I agree with Mark. Toyota factory turbo engines & gear boxes are built slightly different.

I am on my second factory turbo toyota. My original was a N/A diesel and I looked hard into getting a turbo. All the people I talked to said yes it can be done but you will have problems with overheating when at speed for a duration - the time when you are really looking for the turbo.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675210

Reply By: Davo_60 - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:15

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:15
G'Day,

There is heaps of info around as already stated, you could read for days. In my opinion don't do it as it is not cheap to do properly and many have plenty of problems. If you factor in a cost of a rebuild if it all goes wrong, then a factory turbo conversion looks cheap. 1HD-T's can be found cheapish, will walk all over a turbo 1hz, and will do it all day.

Cheers,
Dave
AnswerID: 405515

Reply By: Falco80 - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:26

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:26
"Work Avoidance Tour", mate, do a quick Google on "1HZ turbo' and have a read. The 1HZ 4.2 diesel is a great reliable engine, but was never intended for forced induction. Sure, it will go harder with a turbo but in the long term you are risking your engine, especially if you are not technically minded and have no idea about exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) etc... The bolt-on-turbo kits that are sold are set for minimal boost to ensure reliability and still cost a few grand to get running. There is no point boosting an engine if you are not well informed of what's happening under the hood. Keeping your foot flat to the floor, in a turbocharged diesel, up hills that you would normally be flat-to-the-floor on is going to be really working that engine hard and hot. That 2,3,4 or 5 thousand dollars it cost to turbocharge your 1HZ could be so much better spent on fuel and actually having a good time while you are travelling. Sure it is great to travel on the speed limit everywhere you go, up and down hills, but really what's the rush?! In my honest opinion leave the motor stock and enjoy the trip.
AnswerID: 405516

Reply By: howesy - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:31

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:31
I have the same year model with the aftermarket turbo.
DO IT
Limit your boost to 11 lbs get a boost guage a pyro meter and put preferably a 3 inch exhaust but 2.5 will do. I have 2.5 but 3 would be better for spooling.

Mine now has 422,000km on the clock and still going strong.
Gotta keep the revs between 2200 to 2600 to be right on boost when loaded.

I upgraded the radiator to aussie desert cooler triple flow and put more silicone oil in fan hub. no heating up probs but there can be if your not careful.

There is one mob in NSW I would tell you to run a mile from for fitting it but you need to PM me for that I wont start a slang match on the forum.
AnswerID: 405519

Follow Up By: howesy - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:33

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:33
my email is cpe351@yahoo.com.au if you want details
FollowupID: 675226

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 07:34

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 07:34
"Limit your boost to 11 lbs get a boost guage a pyro meter and put preferably a 3 inch exhaust but 2.5 will do. I have 2.5 but 3 would be better for spooling. "

Hows that work, Howesy..? Merely going up in diametre makes the turbo spool earlier...no consideration of pipe length, mandrel bent, muffler or not.. it just makes it spool earlier....sweet.
FollowupID: 675242

Follow Up By: howesy - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:04

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:04
The more unrestricted your exhaust the better, im not sure that you get that much advantage from mandrel bent in a diesel maybe in a petrol pulling 8000 revs the velocity would require it but straight through mufflers and bigger pipes definately make em go better. When I upgraded the diameter on my old hilux 2.8 aftermarket it was like giving it more boost down low it was very noticeable on that motor.
FollowupID: 675254

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 00:28

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 00:28
Hi

My son who works in the Pilbara region of WA had a turbo conversion carried out on the 80 series Cruiser he owned at the time during one of his visits to Perth. Worked OK, fair increase in performance. All good until he headed back up North and couldn't stop the engine overheating when on long runs. Eventually he wound the max fuel screw back and the overheating went away, unfortunately so did most of the performance gains. He did do all the usual things that you check before reducing the fuel. Both he and I are diesel mechanics so we have both had some experience in the field.
My 75 series is now due for an injection of horsepower since the acquisition of a caravan has proved the old 1hz a bit short in the go department. Never even seriously considered turbo for the old engine. A second hand 1hd-ft is in the shed getting the once over before installation. It took a fair bit of looking to find one but the earlier 1hd-t engine is a bit easier to find and not much less H.P. cheaper too.
Sorry to ramble on but in my opinion either get a later factory turbo ute or fit a factory turbo engine to what you already own. The other alternative is just enjoy the scenery passing by a bit slower.......lol

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 405526

Reply By: racinrob - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:12

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:12
Seems there are more negative responses than positive to your query however I was in the same position as you, a 1HZ tray back with 100,000 on the clock and a slide on. It was a dog on the road performance wise so I asked around and decided to fit a water cooled turbo and my only regret was that I didn't do it sooner. Little or no fuel benefits but at least a gear or more better on the road. After more than 200,000 Ks I've had no mechanical or overheating problems, engine still runs sweet, standard exhaust, 12lb boost. My all up travelling weight is 3.8 tonne and I cruise easily at 95 and average about 14/15 litres per 100 Ks....... do it.

Rob
AnswerID: 405536

Sponsored Links