Holding down the awning in strong wind

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 13:54
ThreadID: 76261 Views:15741 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Its me again.
Another query.
Recently we were camped down at Marlo (Vic) and horrendous unexpected winds came up about 4am. Not even the local fisherman predicted it...
Our 19' awning was flapping terribly.
Eventually my husband decided to roll the awning up.
I expect big mistake as the edge of the awning along the outer edge tore, more than a metre! The end arm also buckled a bit too!
(Another insurance claim, our second since Sept09! Hang on, I'll tell you briefly about the first claim, the 23' van lurked off the back of the vehicle about 20km on our road towards home. Fortunately my husband controlled the swaying van and eventually brought it to a stop on the side of the road. Part of the drawer bar was worn away, the front shutter flung up and cracked, a link was cracked on one of the chains. The screw on the coupling was loose so we expect that was the cause of the coupling lifting off the tow bar).

We are about to have the replacement Carefree awning installed.

What do you suggest as the best way to secure the awning in times of sudden wind (and I expect each time we roll out the awning)?
We have seen some clips which attach along the side of the awning on to the arm. (De-flappers??)
We have used webbing across from side to side...

Thanks again for reading and hopefully replying.
TandT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:04

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:04
You can only do so much with Anti Flappers and extra support bars under the awning.

I find that the best way if you are expecting rough weather is the roll it up.

Now if you want it to withstand reasonable winds etc then I unclip the legs from the van, stand em upright, tenp peg in hole on foot of pole, one of those sprung tent rope around awning roller and peg in ground at an angle out from the awning about 30degrees off vertical seems good.
AnswerID: 405581

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:01

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:01
Get a set of awning walls that have the anti-flap arms or just get the anti-flap devices. Go to the www.aussietraveller.com.au and they will have everything you need.

Secondly your awning is at it's weakest when it is out with the arms still attached to the van. Try pegging the legs vertically, it is much stronger.

I would also think about running ropes off your awning corners to some serious tent pegs. I have used 18 inch star pickets in the past and they wroked a treat.
AnswerID: 405588

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:02

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:02
Tina, we have got into the habit of rolling the awning up every night and every time we leave the van and go out for the day.

It's not much of a pain but avoids a lot of anxiety if the wind comes up while you are away or in bed.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405589

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:23

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:23
I'm with you gone bush.
If it blows its guts out at three in the morning and the awning is rolled up.......who cares? Just keep on sleeping. :)
FollowupID: 675293

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:24

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:24
Agreed, only way to get a good nights sleep.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 675335

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:20

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:20
Yep, me three
Tried anti flappers, the arms that go from the awning roller to the van outer wall, spring loaded guy ropes and if the wind is strong enough or from a certain direction it still drives you nuts, I wind it up at night or if we leave the van as has been said by many others. And enjoy a good nights sleep.

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 675396

Reply By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:30

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:30
I agree with much of the above.

Pull it in is the best option.
The best anti flap kit is still the Aussie Traveller. Also get at least 2 curved roof struts. The now have 2 types. A deep curve and a shallow curve. I use 3 shallow curved struts and this is great.

For overnight stays, I use tensioner straps as in the pictures below. They slide into the 6mm track where the annex walls goes. One at each end. Then they roll over the barrel and pull tight, via a rope with a quick release clip. When pulled tight they twist the barrel and in turn pulls the awning super tight. This will stop the awning flapping overnight in MODERATE winds. If you have to roll the awning in the rope releases qucikly and drops to the ground.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

AnswerID: 405600

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:53

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:53
Carl,

Thats what I am after, where did you get that ..??
FollowupID: 675321

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:03

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:03
Hi Don,

I used to make annexes for caravans and one day a guy asked me to make 2.

The next day they became MY invention.

Now however I am retired so this is why I put in the dimensions. You can make one if your wife has a hair straightener. This will weld PVC. The 6mm rope is electrical cord as this works best. An eyelet tool you can get from Bunnings.

They work fantastically Good luck. (Do not get caught using the hair straightener. I used her hair dryer to kill small black ants, then burned it out. Bloody things costs $360. Who need a $360 hair dryer, my heat gun was only $35)
FollowupID: 675326

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:40

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:40
Carl,

I see a Lifestyle Dropside Table on your van.

They are great aren't they?

I fitted one to my previous van.

Image Could Not Be Found

On my new van things were a little different so I made a different type myself. Not as convenient but still works OK.

Image Could Not Be Found

I used mounting brackets from the Sovereign BBQ. Works well.

Image Could Not Be Found

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 675336

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 18:57

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 18:57
I think I prefer your table. The lifestyle is good for road vans but ours is right behind the wheels. On the dirt roads it attracts dust and can be a bugger to clean.

Just belt it on the side of a tree in the scrub and it stuffed. Yours is stowed away and always clean when you need it.

Above the table is a 12 volt outlet but what is to the right of that?

I have descovered whatever gets banged in a Kedron video is what I seem to break as well. I have already ripped the Aussie Traveller awning of the side twice so far.

Did you change to the 200 after swaping from a Trakmaster?
FollowupID: 675344

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (Mandurah WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:27

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:27
The Bushtracker vans have a watertight door over the regular door. It bolts to that object when it's open. I have no intention of fording rivers a metre deep so I took the door off.

Swapping to the 200 is a bit of a convoluted story suffice to say it has gobs more power and is far more comfortable than the trayback so I sold the trayback and the 200 is now the primary (only) tow vehicle.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 675349

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:53

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:53
I would disagree that having your awning legs undone and pinned down is best.

After all a triangle is the strongest shape.

I have been told that insurance companies are considering claims where the legs are undone may come under user contributing to accident.

I know they have holes to pin them down BUT.

When we were in Geraldton we had a big sudden blow one afternoon and 4 awnings were folded up over vans.
All had legs on ground.

We had no trouble Ours were attached and roller was roped down and attched to angle iron pegs put in on an angle. Round pegs are useless in soft ground.

We also have Aussie Traveller anti flap bars and rafters which keep the awning taut in most conditions.

Just my experience.

AnswerID: 405632

Reply By: WYSIWYG (Bundaberg Qld) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 20:08

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 20:08
Hi T & T,
I bought a set of these off ebay, they work well for what I wanted and have never let go in strong winds yet, but as a few others have said the safest way is probably to roll the awning up.

Site Link

Cheers
AnswerID: 405633

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:44

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:44
You can buy similar at most van part shops for bout $35 with ropes and pegs.

You could make them out of light bar for about $5 I would think.

FollowupID: 675364

Sponsored Links